Detroiter??? WHATTSSSSUP???

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
The last few times I have tried to stop at the Detroiter the expediter lot has been full. It wasn't full of vans though. It was full of long term parkers (carpoolers) and employee vehicles. They still have the signs up but it looks like the honeymoon is over at the Detroiter. Now if I get a load to the metro area I just go to Dexter and forget even stopping there.
I can't say that I blame them because most of us van drivers don't spend much money there. We can't buy much fuel and a few meals, snacks, and supplies can't add up to much. Still, I have to wonder how much they are making from the carpoolers. It just kinda bumms me out. The only place I actually (almost) feel welcome is Flying J.
If anyone knows the scoop, I sure would like to know if things are going to get better or worse at the old Detroiter.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I stopped there one time and parked in the expediter section. It was fairly empty with no space problems at all. I was told to either move to the back or leave. They wanted their parking pay for my truck. I don't park places you have to pay to park so I left. I usually always buy at least a meal and maybe a little more stuff so they'd have taken in more money that way plus money on return visits when I've bypassed them. They probably charge every one of those cars a fee and don't care if you have a place to park or not.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I almost always stop in when I'm in Detroit, because the Detroiter has one thing I haven't found anywhere else: cheap books! I don't pay to park, though, making sure I'm out in less than the 4 hrs that are free. Considering how high the price of everything is at every truckstop, charging for parking is just gouging, IMO.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We discovered the cheap books there and stocked up! I don't mind paying to park if the lot is maintained and in good condition. The Detroiter doesn't qualify on either count.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Lets see. If i'm in the area i just go home, i sat at the detroiter once and will probably not do it again. The only thing good is the resturant is decent....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The only thing good is the resturant is decent...."

OK? Every time I ate there I got sick. The first time wasn't bad, two days of bathroom visits but the last time I was seriously sick. I won't go there for any reason other than meeting another driver because they support a country through CITGO that is our enemy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
decent restaurant>>> WAS at one time maybe..but it has gone downhill in the last couple years. We go over the bridge and eat at Millies...beside the Mcd's good food and better prices and better atmosphere! And then park over at Miejers on Allen rd.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Well i guess i got lucky then. Like i mentioned per mapquest its Total Est. Time: 46 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 39.55 miles

I just go home, atleast i got a free shower, good food, and like when its cold outside i dont have to freeze at night. This message is written withing the comforts of my house as i'm starting to realize that running solo is hard, and everyload from detroit goes to canada, and panthers phones seem to be down as i cant call them all day today.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not so much that every load out of Detroit goes to Canada as it is, seemingly, every load going to Canada is gonna be offered to you before one that doesn't go to Canada is offered to you.

Detroit doesn't have just one board. Oh, no. There are two boards in Detroit, a Canada board and a US board. If you go to Canada, then you are on both boards. You might be #3 on the Canada board, and #14 on the US board.

And you'll move up both boards accordingly. I was at the Detroiter the other day and turned down 3 loads going to Windsor, then got a load from Monroe down to near Richmond, VA.

I don't mind going to Canada, for the most part, but a load from Detroit to Windsor is a luzer. Because, they take an the average of about 6 hours out of your day. By the time you get to the shipper, get loaded, and fax paperwork in, that's an hour. Then, you have to wait between 2-3 hours for the paperwork to clear. Then by the time you cross the border and get to the consignee and get unloaded it's another hour or two. All this for 30, 40, 5o miles.

Meanwhile, your day is shot, and for your time and effort you are paid a mini and a border crossing, which is almost all eaten up by bridge tolls and customs fees, and you get a first out amongst a sea of first outs, so you're not really even first out when it's all said and done. You might actually be 5th on the First Out board. I love a good oxymoron.

Depending on the situation, time of day, earlier in the week, etc., I might take a mini over into Canada, but for the most part I'll take the Acceptance hit and turn down loads gong to Canada until I get one going elsewhere.
Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I agree with turtle as well. They were offering me a 70 mile run with 40 miles deadhead going into canada. After some math the truck wouldnt pull squat off that load.

Still writting this from the comforts of my home. x(

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I stopped there one time and parked in the expediter
>section. It was fairly empty with no space problems at all.
>I was told to either move to the back or leave. They wanted
>their parking pay for my truck. I don't park places you have
>to pay to park so I left. I usually always buy at least a
>meal and maybe a little more stuff so they'd have taken in
>more money that way plus money on return visits when I've
>bypassed them. They probably charge every one of those cars
>a fee and don't care if you have a place to park or not.
>
>Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
>OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
>Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
>EO Forum Moderator
>----------
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"Are the good times really over for good"

Ten years ago, the "Detroiter" was it, get a half a tank of gas in a van and you had a shower ticket, sometimes they just gave you one anyway.

Best part was, either coming into or out of Detroit, you could always stop in and see at least a half dozen drivers that you had became friends with, was always great for chats. Later on, you could go in, did not see anyone you knew and the guy in the van next to you would not say "hello" much less KMA. I finally got to the point when Detroit really slowed, to head out of there and stop in Stoney Ridge at the Flying J.

Had always thought about the possibilities of buying acreage south of Detroit, setting up an "Expediter park", something nice and cheap enough for the driver, while still being able to make a decent profit.
Plan was, TV room, picnic tables, BBQ areas, showers, electrical hookups etc and a lot more. Yep, maybe ten years ago it might have worked but today, don't think so, guys are spending enough on fuel much less paying for a place to park. Speaking of parking going to put down an area in Spartanburg, you may want to check it. Have meant to do so but keep forgetting.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I guess my theory has been confirmed. I never really liked to stay at the Detroiter but I enjoyed bumping into other expeditors there. It's fun to see how folks set up their equipment to cope with living in a tin can for weeks at a time. The van lot seemed like a friendly place and the conversations helped to pass the time. Now when I get a load to the Detroit area I go to Dexter until I'm rested and then go home to Grand Rapids (Kentwood). I stand a much better chance of getting a good load from home and it's warm and free there as well.