Detroit Lions Only NFL Team To Lose Money

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Not only that, but what's the percentage of population Detroit's lost in the last 3 decades? And of those that remain, what percentage can afford to take their family to an NFL game?

You know the problem with corrupt and abusive cops? They give the other 5% a bad name.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Pretty sure the reason why they lost money was because the team has been terrible for the last decade. The profitablity of a NFL franchise has a lot to do with one important ingredient: fielding a winning team year after year. Like the Patriots,Giants Colts and so forth. The Lions have finally put together a winning team and are selling out every home game. I bet they make a nice profit this year for sure.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not only that, but what's the percentage of population Detroit's lost in the last 3 decades? And of those that remain, what percentage can afford to take their family to an NFL game?

You know the problem with corrupt and abusive cops? They give the other 5% a bad name.

The Tigers, Wings and Pistons have NO problem drawing fans.

Much of the loss is due to lower TV revenue. That was a function of having a team that sucks. IF they continue to win that will improve.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The Ford "family" doesn't own the lions, Will Ford does. A bit of a difference.

There is a real valid reason for this and it was explained to me a long long time ago, the losses are used to offset the gains in other investments and if you notice something when Ford stock is down and there is no money coming from it, the Lions seem to be spending a bit more money and do a bit better in the season.

But Detroit isn't a real sports town, it is a fair weather fan town and nothing like Chicago or Boston or even LA.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Lions record may also have something to do with poor attendance.

2010 6-10
2009 2-14
2008 0-16
2007 7-9
2006 3-13
2005 5-11
2004 6-10
2003 5-11
2002 3-13
2001 2-14

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Lions started to draw again towards the end of last season when they started becoming competitive. They had been bad for a VERY long time.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
The Pontiac Silverdome use to hold 80,000. people so they had a hard time selling out the stadium. Plus the team was awful so that made it even harder to sell out and lift the TV blackout. Ford Field holds something in the 60,000 range so easier to sell out,plus they aren't the silver kitty cats anymore. Go Lions rrrrrroar!:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The team hasn't been playing professional football for decades and can lose to Seaholm or Southfield HS if they play them. The stadium, which we subsidize for no real reason was to change both the tigers and the lions and "make" them into real serious teams with a promise not to increase ticket prices.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, don't watch them then. As to you having to pay for that stadium, you could move to North Dakota and then you would no longer have too.. I am sure glad I don't live in Detroit. This area is bad enough.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But the funny thing is, you too are paying for it, not as much as I am but enough - do the research.