Decison on Moderator Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Recently, as everyone is aware, a incident happened in which Proprietary Information from FedExCC was inadvertently posted on our forum. This was done unintentionally by the poster, who did not realize that higher ups at FedEx did not want that info public knowledge YET.

An official from FedEx contacted former Moderator Terry O’Connell (terryandrene), who as everyone knows, is now the Safety Liason for FedEx CC. They explained the issue to Terry, and asked for the proprietary information to be removed.

Looking out for the best interests of his Employer AND the Forums, he removed the post in question.

Instantly the claims of censorship, and inappropriate post removal surfaced.

Obviously, a ruling had to be made, so here is our position at this point.

Terry acted appropriately for both FedEx interests, and ours.

Terry did indeed resign as an active moderator some time ago, but stayed active behind the scenes, helping us with spam removal, etc. In this capacity, he retained some moderator capabilities, but did not act in FULL moderator status.

The main question that was brought up is should an employee of a sponsor be allowed to be a moderator. No.. IF THEY WERE EMPLOYEES FIRST.

Terry has been around behind the scenes at Expediters Online and On Time Media since its inception. As an Expediter for 20 years, and a Moderator for 4 years, we KNOW he would not do anything inappropriate that would compromise the forum, or his personal integrity. We know he can be trusted to look after the interests of his current employer, FedEx CC, and still be able to perform his duties as a Moderator for the company he has helped with for 10 years.

Terry is in a unique position with unique perspectives. Everyone knows he is now a FedEX Employee. BUT, he has also been a long time member of this community, and has proven his loyalty.

As such, effective immediately, it is our decision that Terry has been removed from Moderator Emeritus Status, and returned to Full Senior Moderator Status.

Thanks,

Dale

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This decision is a disappointment and one that I predict will not resolve the conflict of interest issues but perpetuate them such that they will one day rise again. The moderators have spoken, which now shifts the spotlight onto Terry', and his ability in the future to objectively exercise the power he has over expediters here in the Open Forum and at FedEx Custom Critical.

For better or worse, the decision has been made. I have nothing more to say about it...but I will be watching.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After looking at all of it today, this is the appropriate decision.
I think Dale's post accurately reflects that. As for future issues, they are just that. Future issues that may or may not arise.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
This decision is a disappointment and one that I predict will not resolve the conflict of interest issues but perpetuate them such that they will one day rise again. The moderators have spoken, which now shifts the spotlight onto Terry', and his ability in the future to objectively exercise the power he has over expediters here in the Open Forum and at FedEx Custom Critical.

For better or worse, the decision has been made. I have nothing more to say about it...but I will be watching.

Phil,
Thank you for your input. I do realize many people will be watching, but we have confidence in Terry's ability to balance his responsibilities.

Thanks,

Dale

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm not sure I'd agree with your decision if the person in question were anyone else, but I have known & worked with Terry for several years, and have the utmost confidence in his judgment when it comes to EO. He has earned, and deserves, our full support, as much as Lawrence, Dreamer, and the rest of the team who keep this site great.
Welcome back, Terry - though I know you never really left. :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I too am very disappointed, but this isn't my site and the powers spoke.

It seems to take something that was special away from EO.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil,
Thank you for your input. I do realize many people will be watching, but we have confidence in Terry's ability to balance his responsibilities.

I am sure you do, but it is not your problem any more. It is his.

A track record has been established. Powers have been vested (or re-vested if you wish). If a contractor dust-up happens again, it will not likely be something dealt with here. It will be dealt with in house at FedEx Custom Critical. Propriety, an appearance of impropriety, contractors understanding that they are fairly treated or misunderstanding that they are not, personal biases, motives ... all such things matter now, more than they ever did.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We didn't take this matter lightly.

I understand that it is member input that keeps EO relevant and strong. So with that in mind - we are always open to the groups ideas....and your criticisms.

We have taken years of collective moderating, administrating and reviewed your concerns on the matter and believe we have made the correct decision. We hope you understand - it's not always easy making these calls. We know we are bound to make someone frustrated. Fortunately we have over 10 years in navigating the waters on an online community...and though sometimes it can be incredibly frustrating at the moment - we can look back and see the positive results of tough calls like this.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree with the decision. It is the right thing to do based on the circumstances and individual. Each situation is unique and should be addressed as such. Obviously I would support the admin decision either way but in this case I believe it to be the correct decision.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was involved in the post that started all of this...an I agree with the decision (and the action taken).

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Even though it has been mentioned before, I think this item should be mentioned again.
If a post is removed by a moderator, it just doesn't disappear. It goes to another forum in which ALL the moderators and administrators can review it.
Then it is just collective madness amongst all as to whether it stays or goes.
Someones affiliate with a carrier doesn't change that. All of the mods have some relationship with a carrier.
That may change when Lawrence hires us all has high dollar moderators or someone is willing to pick up the tab, but until then this is where we are.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
did not really get the just of all of it, but did get the picture. to agree or not to agree is all our choice. all i can say is that i believe some tolerence should be given due to the reputation of terry the same as we all would expect if it were us. i feel he truly did not think this would go this way. there are alot of us on here who feel we have a good enough reputation to be able to pretty much post what we like as long as it doesnt go way, way overboard. 95% of the time it is let go. reputation is everything and we are all entitled to make mistakes. i know i have posted things that i wondered if would or i thought should be pulled but have been let stay. reason, reputation i think. anyway, i bet we will see better handling of things like this in the future by terry cause he has always been upstanding and professional.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
did not really get the just of all of it, but did get the picture. to agree or not to agree is all our choice. all i can say is that i believe some tolerence should be given due to the reputation of terry the same as we all would expect if it were us. i feel he truly did not think this would go this way. there are alot of us on here who feel we have a good enough reputation to be able to pretty much post what we like as long as it doesnt go way, way overboard. 95% of the time it is let go. reputation is everything and we are all entitled to make mistakes. i know i have posted things that i wondered if would or i thought should be pulled but have been let stay. reason, reputation i think. anyway, i bet we will see better handling of things like this in the future by terry cause he has always been upstanding and professional.

Tom, I couldn't have put it better myself.. so I just hi-lited the good parts!

Thanks for your understanding, and support folks. We're still learning as we go, 10 years later :)

Dale

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Terry's reputation speaks for itself he has always been above board on anything he has been involved with on the forums.

Many of us still miss his ability to post and the advice he was always able to share. He has shown over the years that he will bend over backwards to help a new person and to always get the facts on any question asked.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion there is no reason why Terry can't actively moderate and answer simple questions....we have AnneM, John..from PTL and I am probably forget some others...ALL paid employees of carriers that advertise with On Time Media and EO.....he could be selective on some issues if he feels it is in conflict but the operation of a van and the way expedite goes comes no where near a conflict.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a very unique situation. It took 10 years for something like this to occur and we may very well never see something like this happen again. I'm throwing my support to Terry and the trust he's gained with the exulted powers that be.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I think that the wrong decision was made over this issue. I believe you made your decision based on Terry being an o/o in the past and not really considering he is no longer a contractor but an employee of a carrier, which completely changes his/or should have changed his status with EO. An employee can not look out for the interest of his company and that of EO. You should have accepted Terry's resignation when he tendered it.

I have nothing against Terry, and I believe him to be an honest and trustworthy person. That being said, he is still an employee now. He needs to bend to the carriers will in order to keep his position. I still believe this is a conflict of issue.

I think that the administrators decision is very wrong and compromises the integrity of EO. I further believe you made your decision with your heart not with the facts.

I will continue to be part of EO, but will forever be looking over my shoulder as I post, waiting for my post to be deleted because a moderator or administrator does not like what I post, or if I upset a carrier.

I also believe that when FedEx asked Terry to delete the post he should have told FedEx that he couldn't do it because it would appear as a conflict of interest, which it was. He then should have went to another moderator/administrator and told him/her what the deal was and let another moderator/administrator handle it. This in my opinion would have been the correct thing to do. I also believe that Terry did bend to the carrier's wishes and put their wishes first. The poster had already been asked by FedEx to delete the post and was going to delete it. There was no reason for Terry to step in and delete the post.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking from a newer members perspective I think the fact you took the time to explain your decision says volumes about the integrity of those running EO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.