December Locations and X-mas cheers

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder what the average miles driven per deer strike might be. We have driven this van 370,000 prior to our misfortune.
I've got over 1.5 million miles on three vans and only two deer strikes. The first, mentioned in this thread. The second was with my 2004 Chevy. Barely clipped a deer on a curved ramp, in the snow. I was probably doing about 25 mph. Mostly damaged the grille and passenger side headlight surround. The headlight wasn't broken but I did have to duct tape it and the turn-signal assembly in place.

20 years driving tractor/trailer and only one deer hit. It hit me!. Ran into the rear corner of the rear trailer pulling doubles. Never hit a deer with a car. Its my belief that there are way more deer roaming the highways and byways than in days past. Either that or they have become more stupid about crossing roadways.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After the deer hit with my 98 Chevy I bought a set of deer whistles. Since then I have always had deer whistles on my vans. The deer I clipped with the 04 Chevy, I was probably going too slow for the whistles to be effective. I can't endorse these deer whistles. All I can say is since running with these I have one slight hit and many near misses. Maybe these work, maybe not. For the price I find it's worth the ROI. :D

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After the deer hit with my 98 Chevy I bought a set of deer whistles. Since then I have always had deer whistles on my vans. The deer I clipped with the 04 Chevy, I was probably going too slow for the whistles to be effective. I can't endorse these deer whistles. All I can say is since running with these I have one slight hit and many near misses. Maybe these work, maybe not. For the price I find it's worth the ROI. :D
Snake oil.
How Effective Are Deer Whistles to Avoid Vehicle Collisions?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Booked. Loaded. Moving.
MO-IN.
Moving out of MO/KS area for same half-decent rate I moved in.

I dropped at HD on Tuesday morning and went to Pilot in Kearney for a nap. Got load later that afternoon from KC to Auburn Hills, mi. Sorry I missed you. Could of bought ya some of that Pilot coffee. Lol.

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good points, the guard's main mounts are low and bolted to the sub frame. Depends on location and type of impact what will happen. Could be worse and cause more damage or nothing.
Was going to get the front of the van repainted and guard installed during the planned Holiday break.

Now have new paint and guard, on a totaled van. Hope we don't test the guard, but for now, glad it's on there.
Not to downgrate some guards out there, but for sprinters it's a false sense of security. Front is soft enough that it will still collapse in an impact. How it will be collapsing is a different story.
Hope you never have to experience the ordeal again.
If I was ever putting a bar there, it will be tiny, in the middle. (only to accommodate extra lights, never to hit a deer
emoji5.png
️).
Hope your repair drives the same or better than before.

emoji767.png
Home earlier in time for a hour of Papa time ... stick a fork in this year ... its done ...
c5559a63cdd421d06ff7c35ee73db3b2.jpg

another day .. another pond
I'm jealous.....

I don't have grandbabies...
me neither.

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good points, the guard's main mounts are low and bolted to the sub frame. Depends on location and type of impact what will happen. Could be worse and cause more damage or nothing.
Was going to get the front of the van repainted and guard installed during the planned Holiday break.

Now have new paint and guard, on a totaled van. Hope we don't test the guard, but for now, glad it's on there.
Not to downgrate some guards out there, but for sprinters it's a false sense of security. Front is soft enough that it will still collapse in an impact. How it will be collapsing is a different story.
Hope you never have to experience the ordeal again.
If I was ever putting a bar there, it will be tiny, in the middle. (only to accommodate extra lights, never to hit a deer
emoji5.png
️).
Hope your repair drives the same or better than before.

emoji767.png
Home earlier in time for a hour of Papa time ... stick a fork in this year ... its done ...

I'm jealous.....

me neither.

I have a son-in-law that you’all Can have to fill the void.
He’s plenty childish.,

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1 sprinter.
465k+ miles (yes, I am a newbie ️)
Thank God, no deer hits yet, just 2 raccoons directly down the middle under the van (minor repairs to differential case, both times).
No auditory deterrents, just me whistling.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I'm jealous.....

Wow! I got 3 likes for not having grandbabies....... a cold group this morning.
Yeah I got likes for being sick one time.... :)

I think I got a zing and a toxic when I mentioned I had cancer. Very strange.

Edit: Nevermind, that's at the mental issues site that I go to. They're very mean. They used to taunt me with the poop like thingy whenever I mentioned my colostomy bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Deer whistles are good for one thing... deer barbershop quintets.

Cox - Five Bucks - Fresh Air Animation

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder what the average miles driven per deer strike might be. We have driven this van 370,000 prior to our misfortune.
2 deer in 1,600,000 miles
Once in the Sprinter,
once in the Dodge CV

How did they fit with their antlers?

Someone really needs to teach them they're supposed to hitchhike from the SIDE of the road.
all drivers should carry at least 1 roll of duct tape as standard OP...especially more so with these plastic vans...;)

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
2 deer in 1,600,000 miles
Once in the Sprinter,
once in the Dodge CV

How did they fit with their antlers?

Someone really needs to teach them they're supposed to hitchhike from the SIDE of the road.

OR, show them where to cross properly! there are signs every few mile to tell them that it is where they need to cross!