December 2014

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's the truth, and people wonder why I want to keep my under 26k truck going for as long as I can.

In my one-truck operation days, it was easy to keep track of where to buy, and where to avoid. I had IFTA quarters where I owed 80 bux, one I owed 14, and one where I got back 5. None of them put me under... just an annoyance for having to fill out the form. In a sense, it felt like an accomplishment to miss an expensive-priced, cheap IFTA state, and score on a cheap-priced, high IFTA tankful. In the end, it was as easy as watching my route, and knowing the taxes, and averaging as best as I can on every trip.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I remember seeing that movie with my first ball and chain
Every gag went right past her!

I like how people, usually men, call their spouses 'ball and chain', as if they would be held back from some greatness, like winning a Nobel prize, or something.

My wife is a kite string. She allows me to fly, without getting taken away. When the wind gets turbulent, she reels me back to earth.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I like how people, usually men, call their spouses 'ball and chain', as if they would be held back from some greatness, like winning a Nobel prize, or something.

My wife is a kite string. She allows me to fly, without getting taken away. When the wind gets turbulent, she reels me back to earth.

You should here what I call the other one........ It would get me banned from not only here but most of the internet

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In my one-truck operation days, it was easy to keep track of where to buy, and where to avoid. I had IFTA quarters where I owed 80 bux, one I owed 14, and one where I got back 5. None of them put me under... just an annoyance for having to fill out the form. In a sense, it felt like an accomplishment to miss an expensive-priced, cheap IFTA state, and score on a cheap-priced, high IFTA tankful. In the end, it was as easy as watching my route, and knowing the taxes, and averaging as best as I can on every trip.

That's true, I know it's not that big of a deal anymore since most truck gps units will keep track of miles and fuel purchases and total up everything for you. The days of writing the mileage at every state line are over.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I used to work for a party center when I was 16 or so, someone took a bowling ball and attached a chain to it as a gag to the new groom for one of the wedding receptions, after the party they left it, and we would wave it in front of the groom at the parties after that, everyone got a good laugh.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Hawk, that is purely beautiful!
I hear the "ball & chain", & I envision someone who has to be dragged along, slowing you down, someone you can't get rid of - that's just sad.
My pet peeve is "the" wife [or husband, whatever], as if they aren't even a person. Sure, it's supposed to be affectionate [really?] but it says a lot, you ask me. I like when someone is proud of their partner, cause that's how it should be.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Aww Cheri, you got it all wrong.... It's not "the" wife.... It's THE wife, as in the one and only!!

I will never mind being called THE husband. ;-)

Dale

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
That's true, I know it's not that big of a deal anymore since most truck gps units will keep track of miles and fuel purchases and total up everything for you. The days of writing the mileage at every state line are over.

Until you get audited......

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Aww Cheri, you got it all wrong.... It's not "the" wife.... It's THE wife, as in the one and only!!

I will never mind being called THE husband. ;-)

Dale

I guess I just can't hear capital letters.
Really, though, to me it sounds like the house, the car, the lawnmower - all things you appreciate, but still things. [And still much better than the "affectionate" nickname my ex had for me: bimbo. Yes, he really did think it was sweet.]

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
So when they audit you for ifta how do you prove what miles you drove? The purchases are easier,fuel card statements will do the trick for that part.

There are still required records to keep, including odometer readings and routing, etc. by the "recommended" format. GPS tracking is a good tool, and we used that when we ran our own IFTA, but when we were audited it sure was good to have the required records (including fuel receipts) to validate our reporting. Our home state gave us an info sheet detailing how they wanted the records maintained.