Debating on selling my house

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Depending on the size and lay out of your home. Have you considered a "Mother in law suite"? Rent the house and keep the suite for when your in the area. You have someone taking care of your property and make some money besides. Plus the tenants will have to keep it clean and presentable since they will have no idea when you may come rolling in.:p

This was an option I had considered also. It would have some definite advantages.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
It does not make a bit of sense to pay for something that I see only once every two months.

What do you all think? Sell or no sell?

Personally for us, I would not sell if we were driving someone else's truck or van. You never know when they may fold financially, simply decide to get out of the freight business, or up and fire you without warning which seems all to common in this business! If you own it, then you better control your destiny.

We have been home a month and a half dealing with injuries from an auto accident ( rearended at a traffic light by an unisured motorist in Florida :() so our truck has been camped at our favorite RV resort. I've been spending a lot of time there between my many therapy treatments.

I would suggest sell the home, ditch the expenses associated with it. Buy a comfortably sized RV that requires far less maintenance and can be moved seasonally, etc. Find a nice RV park to place it in. Where else can you live for $250-300/mo lot, water, sewer, electric, and wifi tv included with your only other expenses being RV payment and cell phone? Plus most of your neighbors are retired or near retirement age.

It gives you a more sensible place to still be able to come off the road for a break verses a motel room, and when you do retire sit back in the RV and enjoy bingo and potluck dinner nights at the RV resort!!! ;)

Thats my answer!!! Even thought about buying an old jetliner and converting it into a mobile home and moving it around on a seasonal basis! :D Look up Airplane Homes online.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would suggest sell the home, ditch the expenses associated with it. Buy a comfortably sized RV that requires far less maintenance and can be moved seasonally, etc. Find a nice RV park to place it in. Where else can you live for $250-300/mo lot, water, sewer, electric, and wifi tv included with your only other expenses being RV payment and cell phone? Plus most of your neighbors are retired or near retirement age.

It gives you a more sensible place to still be able to come off the road for a break verses a motel room, and when you do retire sit back in the RV and enjoy bingo and potluck dinner nights at the RV resort!!!

Sounds like a good idea.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Having a home is a good thing. Even if you are not there that often, you may need your home in an emergency situation. Wht happenes if you ever become disabled or sick and need a place to hunker down at during a crisis. I'd hang onto the home if at all possible. That is just me. Perhaps you can rent it out and let the renters pay the mortgage until you guys decide to retire. It's just a thought.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Streakin1. I paid cash for a 5th wheel that I then set up at a campground, on the lake, in Tennessee. No state income tax and less than $2,000 a year for lot rent and utilities. When I get to the campground I leave my truck in the camp store parking lot, plugged in to shore power. :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I paid cash for a 5th wheel that I then set up at a campground, on the lake, in Tennessee. No state income tax and less than $2,000 a year for lot rent and utilities. When I get to the campground I leave my truck in the camp store parking lot, plugged in to shore power. :D

In other words, you prefer to have wheels under you instead of a foundation, because, you gotta go.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . .wheels under you instead of a foundation, because, you gotta go.

old_TxRV.jpg

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
On the other side of the coin I might add that if your an owner opp (or aspire to be) the capital finance issue can bit ya in the buttkiss..
Most banks if ya decide to buy a truck will want to see 250K in gross receipts for two years as a business.
They will consider a new-be to the business if you have real estate or are liquid to the tune of your risk ergo you are currently a good or acceptable risk..
Again just food for thought:D

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I don't think I would risk my house for a truck.
Right for you may not be right for someone else...
We sold our house thinking if we ever decided to buy a truck we would look better on paper..We were wrong
From a business perspective capital finance would have been easier to achieve from our position 8 years ago when we had shown we were established.
Not to be pompous but we have been down this road a "day late and a dollar short" and in the end we realized assets talk and well the best laid plans are laid to rest.
Just trying to state the facts as I know them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand the position. I just feel that there are far too many variables in this business to risk a home. All it takes is one 4 wheeler or a deer and the truck AND house, are gone.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Your decision, but if you do it, you will not be entitled to claim the 'per diem' on your taxes - it requires a home to be away from.
That's where the RV come into play. Primary residence on wheels. Ya might be a redneck if.... LOL

idtrans

Expert Expediter
It does not make a bit of sense to pay for something that I see only once every two months. It does not make any sense to have to pay for a landscaping company to mow my lawn or rake my leaves while I am criss crossing the roads of the good ole use. So I put my house on the market and selling the possessions in it. For a mailing address ill just use a po box. What do you all think? Sell or no sell?

I sold my house in feb and now have a small apartment in a multi unit apartment building I own in Peoria, IL and I rent my FL and TX house out. Best move I ever made. feels better NPT SPENDING $3500 per month on a useless house. LOL heck no wife or kids what the heck do I need a house for.

Now I am buying 20 acre mini ranch on 59 just out side Laredo. Gonna put a log cabin double wide on it and many palm trees and at entrance to ranch I am putting a small trailer for a person to live in for free to watch the property when I am not at the house. Heck gonna cost $80k total to start my little paradise. Then in a couple years get the above ground pool in place. LOL and I will for sure have a couple of plastic flamingos also.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
In other words, you prefer to have wheels under you instead of a foundation, because, you gotta go.
Great idea especially if ya live in the hurricane zone. Hook it up and run like heck before the storm instead of being attached to the ground where ya have to watch it blow away! Plus the big names home insurers tend to drop your home owners insurance without warning every time they endure a bad hurricane somewhere. Don't see that with the RV insurance.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I sold my house in 2005, used relatives address for 2 years got an apartment in 2008 then had to give it up end of 2009 when the economy tanked and lived in the Sprinter and motels until I got a new apartment this last week low rent they take care of the upkeep and grass cutting ,snow removal, etc thinking of buying a used RV to keep somewhere in the south like Georgia,Alabama, or the Carolinas in the winter time and still be close to the freight

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I understand the position. I just feel that there are far too many variables in this business to risk a home. All it takes is one 4 wheeler or a deer and the truck AND house, are gone.

I don't recommend risking your home for a truck either...but if I did, I would probably buy insurance on it.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got out of my 2000 sqft house due to divorce and moved in to a 2000 sqft condo.I don't touch the grass or snow and life is good.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I don't think anything would posess me to sell our home..I much prefer bricks and mortar in this wild west we live in. There's too much satisfaction in looking out the window on a cold blustery winter day and way too much fun with a garden..on our land...it seems my roots are deeply planted with the land and home. Even when I was on the road with Ken, it was such a pleasure to come "home"!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
I don't think anything would posess me to sell our home.. There's too much satisfaction in looking out the window on a cold blustery winter day and way too much fun with a garden..[/I][/B]!

RVers solution to gardening: PORTA GARDEN coming to an RV park near you and soon to be available in RV stores.

In fact some of my neighbors at the RV park we set our truck up in while at home have devised homemade versions of this. I get a kick out of watching the RV people pull into their site, open the basement door(s) on their rigs, pull out the camp table and chairs, little tiki lights and of course the PORTA GARDEN complete with pretty little plants already in bloom! Some even have tomatoes, yellow squash and zucchini. Yum Yum. Plus unlike a landed garden you don't have to worry about that nasty neighbor stealing your prized zuc overnight or their bratty child using your beefsteak tomatoes as softballs! Just pick up the PORT GARDEN before you retire for the night and store it safely in the RV's basement. :p

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Your decision, but if you do it, you will not be entitled to claim the 'per diem' on your taxes - it requires a home to be away from.

Can you buy a 3000 trailer(mobile home, manufactured home, or whatever they call them this year) and call it home and claim the per diem? Just curious