Death by DeSantis

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When Italy got decimated early on some said it was because they have an older population there. States with many older folks here present the same unique challenges.
"Some said." In other words, you have no data.

"Some said" the virus runs rampant in Florida because DeSantis does not care about the health and welfare of the people, he cares only about his political ambitions.

That's not supported by data either. "Some said" enables a lot of people to believe what they want to believe. But I'm interested in a more rational and factually based discussion. "Some said" doesn't cut it.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Oops! You are correct. 3 months, not 14+. My error.

So my question then flips to Biden. There seems to have been plenty of time for Biden to ramp up production of monoclonal antibody treatments.

Well, for starters Biden ain't the one producing it.

Secondly, there is the issue of logistics (space, technology, personel, etc.) for Regeneron to ramp up.

I suspect this may have played a role:

Manufacturing shift to Ireland frees up US capacity for Regeneron’s COVID antibodies

Any idea (beyond groundless speculation, partisan rhetoric, or baseless accusations) why that did not happen?

Who says that it hasn't ?

• Haha
Reactions: muttly

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter

So my question then flips to Biden. There seems to have been plenty of time for Biden to ramp up production of monoclonal antibody treatments. Any idea (beyond groundless speculation, partisan rhetoric, or baseless accusations) why that did not happen?
Because biden is stupid.....and so is his administration.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Almost 10 months later and Biden still blames trump....on Afghanistan, on the southern border, and covid......but you don't hear the Democrats blaming Biden on the covid-19 deaths since he took office......double standard of the Democrat leadership.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Almost 10 months later and Biden still blames trump....on Afghanistan, on the southern border, and covid......but you don't hear the Democrats blaming Biden on the covid-19 deaths since he took office......double standard of the Democrat leadership.
No double standard at all. Did you hear Republicans blaming Trump for covid deaths? Those driven by partisanship are remarkably consistent in following the same standard ... blame the other side.

Regarding charges and prosecutions for two fires in two different states, it's not true that no charges were filed.

Portland man charged and sentenced to federal prison

Alaska man charged with arson for Seattle police station fire

The lack of additional prosecutions may be related to local incompetence or a local lack of desire to prosecute. That has been addressed by the feds who took over the investigations and are prosecuting people.

Federal prosecutors take over Seattle protester cases

As of Sept. 10, eight arrests have been made. More may follow.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's going to take time to clean up Grumps mess.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trump received monoclonal antibody treatment in October, 2020 and held office for an additional 14 2/3 months. Trump had plenty of time to ramp up production. Any idea why that did not happen?

I can answer that, simple business decision, vaccines were going to be available soon, and there should not have been a need for a lot of the antibody treatment. Why ramp up production when it shouldn’t have been needed. Hindsight being 20/20 yes they should have produced more, but at that time I would have made that same decision.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ATeam

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Because biden is stupid.....and so is his administration.
While it's easy to call Washington-level elected officials and/or their operatives stupid, or dismiss them as such, it is unwise to do so. Be they Democrat, Republican, Independent or other, if they are operating at the Washington level, they are highly intelligent and highly skilled. In the vicious and complex game we call politics, they have bested countless others as they worked their way up from local activism to where they are now. The people who get appointed or hired into administration positions have sharply refined skills, developed through years of experience. You see them fumbling and bumbling around as they confront others equally skilled. But they have risen over many who tried and failed.

NFL teams and players have their good and bad days, but no one dismisses them as unskilled or unqualified to play the game. These players are the best of the best and most will acknowledge that, even as other player of equal caliber run circles around them from time to time.

Biden and his operatives may be many things, but they are not stupid. So too with Trump and his operatives. They are highly intelligent, calculating, cool-under-fire people who play their game with dedication and intensity the general public does not fully understand.

Reactions: Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I can answer that, simple business decision, vaccines were going to be available soon, and there should not have been a need for a lot of the antibody treatment. Why ramp up production when it shouldn’t have been needed. Hindsight being 20/20 yes they should have produced more, but at that time I would have made that same decision.

I was thinking the same thing. With cheap and highly effective vaccines on the way, it could be easily assumed those would do the job and the far more expensive antibody treatments would not be needed. I think a lot of people were surprised by the huge number of people who resisted the vaccines. Had they known resistance would be that high, the antibody treatment production may well have been ramped up, as it is being ramped up now.

The sad thing is, the people dying from Covid today, are mostly unvaccinated people, and some of those are resisting antibody treatments too.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First, not wrong. The only meaningful way to compare a governor's effectiveness in managing the covid issues is to do so on a per 100,000 population basis.

Second, how do you know the states with the highest number of seniors have the highest number of covid deaths? I've never seen data showing that. I have not not seen it either because I have not looked. But you are the one making the claim. Do you have data you are relying on to make this claim or are you simply making it up?

You gave up your tourism claim with little resistance when I asked you to substantiate it with data. So far, you have provided no data to support your seniors claims. Are you making those up too?
I never addressed the "governor's effectiveness in managing the covid issues." You obviously missed the point of the post which raised the direct correlation between the number of senior citizens and the number of covid deaths as an alternative reason for Florida's high number of covid deaths. Go back and re-read post #283 all the way to the bottom where you'll see two links showing the stats for states with the most seniors and the most covid deaths. I listed the top five states for each.

"You gave up your tourism claim with little resistance..."
I was not the one making the tourism claim. Pay attention.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You obviously missed the point of the post which raised the direct correlation between the number of senior citizens and the number of covid deaths as an alternative reason for Florida's high number of covid deaths. Go back and re-read post #283 all the way to the bottom where you'll see two links showing the stats for states with the most seniors and the most covid deaths. I listed the top five states for each.
Maybe I am missing the point. If I understand your post correctly, you are saying Florida is a top-five state ranked by people over 65. And you are saying Florida is a top-five state ranked by the total number of covid deaths. Is that correct?

Other than the top-five status the two stats you cite have in common (correlation), I don't see a meaningful connection. What does the number of seniors have to do with the number of covid deaths?

Continuing to explore this, I stumbled upon this chart with provides info about senior covid deaths better than others I've seen.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While it's easy to call Washington-level elected officials and/or their operatives stupid, or dismiss them as such, it is unwise to do so. Be they Democrat, Republican, Independent or other, if they are operating at the Washington level, they are highly intelligent and highly skilled. In the vicious and complex game we call politics, they have bested countless others as they worked their way up from local activism to where they are now. The people who get appointed or hired into administration positions have sharply refined skills, developed through years of experience. You see them fumbling and bumbling around as they confront others equally skilled. But they have risen over many who tried and failed.

NFL teams and players have their good and bad days, but no one dismisses them as unskilled or unqualified to play the game. These players are the best of the best and most will acknowledge that, even as other player of equal caliber run circles around them from time to time.

Biden and his operatives may be many things, but they are not stupid. So too with Trump and his operatives. They are highly intelligent, calculating, cool-under-fire people who play their game with dedication and intensity the general public does not fully understand.
Phil, you have to keep in mind that for the most part, defense of Trump and his I'lk here on EO, is only done by immitating him and resorting to name calling.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Just think, the Chinese Lab brought this to the whole earth n never fired a Bullett.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, you have to keep in mind that for the most part, defense of Trump and his I'lk here on EO, is only done by immitating him and resorting to name calling.
I'm not sure I understand your meaning.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Posting cartoons of Trump in diapers is so much more high brow though.
Jabs, pokes, memes, In and of themselves is not an issue .
It's when nothing constructive is ever offered, just insulting slams and name calling, is when it gets tiring.

muttly

Veteran Expediter

So my question then flips to Biden. There seems to have been plenty of time for Biden to ramp up production of monoclonal antibody treatments. Any idea (beyond groundless speculation, partisan rhetoric, or baseless accusations) why that did not happen?
They’re rationing it so states like Florida and Texas have to get more supplies of it on their own. Over 8 months for Biden should be sufficient to have enough of it and be able to distribute it without rationing.

Last edited:
  • Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
"Some said." In other words, you have no data.

"Some said" the virus runs rampant in Florida because DeSantis does not care about the health and welfare of the people, he cares only about his political ambitions.

That's not supported by data either. "Some said" enables a lot of people to believe what they want to believe. But I'm interested in a more rational and factually based discussion. "Some said" doesn't cut it.
Some say this is an interesting graph.
California has been a pro lockdown state while Florida hasn’t been. Yet the most vulnerable have been protected( statistically) better in Florida.
FB386D07-6389-4392-907B-443BFCEEB983.png

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
DeSantis also had the most vulnerable group vaccinated at a better rate too. Ninety percent.
4 percent better than California.
5AD26DC8-D990-4F50-A21D-A1C14E41027A.jpeg

• Haha