Daylight Saving Time

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sign of spring: Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ushering in the bloom of spring, it's time to set the clocks forward for daylight saving time.

At 2 a.m. local time Sunday, daylight saving time arrives with the promise of many months ahead with an extra hour of evening sunlight.
You lose an hour of sleep, but make sure to turn the clock ahead — spring forward — before heading to bed Saturday night to avoid the panic of a late rise.

It's also a good time to put new batteries in warning devices such as smoke detectors and hazard warning radios.

Some places don't observe daylight saving time. Those include Hawaii, most of Arizona, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Marianas.

Daylight saving time ends Nov. 3.

Please note it's Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight Savings Time. There's not a sale on daylight, you're merely saving it. :D

As a wise old Indian once said about Daylight Saving Time, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's time to end the folley.

It's not nice to try to fool mother nature.

mothernature.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some places don't observe daylight saving time. Those include Hawaii, most of Arizona, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Marianas.
You forgot to mention Pantherville, Ohio. They don't recognize Daylight Saving Time either. Tomorrow morning when the rest of Ohio wakes up to Daylight Saving Time, it will be an hour earlier in Pantherville. It's always Eastern Standard Time in Pantherville, always!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
For the most part, I like DST. But the problem is that in my house, we have clocks all over. A collection. And guess who's job it is to reset them...
Even when we gain an hour, it takes me 2 hours to change them, so, net, I lose an hour. When we lose an hour, I go back in time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just in my van I have a clock in the radio in the cab, a clock in the day/date/temperature thing, a clock in the QC, a clock in the radio in the back, an alarm clock in back and a dual time zone watch strapped to my wrist. All require resetting. At least the clock in my phone laptop and Garmin will adjust automatically!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just in my van I have a clock in the radio in the cab, a clock in the day/date/temperature thing, a clock in the QC, a clock in the radio in the back, an alarm clock in back and a dual time zone watch strapped to my wrist. All require resetting. At least the clock in my phone laptop and Garmin will adjust automatically!

Your QC doesn't change?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like DST. Since the majority of driving seems to be in the pm I find it a big advantage personally. Love mid summer when it is light out at 9 or 9:30!

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, on those QCs, the time on the clock stays the same, but you have to tell it Standard or Daylight Saving Time. Qualcomm does that to accommodate those weenies in Arizona who can't handle it.

Fortunately, the only clocks I have to change is the dash clock on the Sprinter and a wristwatch. Everything else is automatic.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I just have to hit the +/- to get to EDT. Panther will continue to quote pick and delivery times as EST. One of these days I might mess with them during Daylight Saving Time, just for yucks.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I've got one clock on cst and everything else on est. Some of my stuff updates itself, some doesn't. I accidently set one forward once that had already updated itself. I wound up with like 3 or 4 different times on 3 or 4 different devices and didn't have a clue which one was right....ended up calling dispatch to see what freakin time it was! Lol