Dang Gum It!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On top of hail damage a week or so ago our clutch decided to have a spontaneous, catastrophic failure.

The truck is now at the shop in Pompano Beach, FL. Keeping in line with my luck they did not have one, so, I get to pay shipping to get one in any reasonable amount of time. What fun! :mad:

Total bill with two other very minor repairs that needed done? $3308. That is all parts, labor, shipping and taxes.

We had a hub cap leaking last week on our lift axle. Had it replaced. Leaks worse now. Getting that fixed AGAIN! There is just nothing more fun than paying for a repair 3 or 4 time!! :mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The clutch itself was 1400. I don't know why they did not have one. There is shipping costs added to that. They have to resurface the flywheel. I have to call back later. They are going to have ETA on parts (hopefully) and they are trying to see about getting the price down.

There are two very minor other repairs being done.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
On top of hail damage a week or so ago our clutch decided to have a spontaneous, catastrophic failure.

The truck is now at the shop in Pompano Beach, FL. Keeping in line with my luck they did not have one, so, I get to pay shipping to get one in any reasonable amount of time. What fun! :mad:

Total bill with two other very minor repairs that needed done? $3308. That is all parts, labor, shipping and taxes.

We had a hub cap leaking last week on our lift axle. Had it replaced. Leaks worse now. Getting that fixed AGAIN! There is just nothing more fun than paying for a repair 3 or 4 time!! :mad:

I'm going to have to find out if we're related. I thought I was the only one with luck like this!! Alternator replaced, failed 3 days later. Not reman, new. Starter replaced, failed 4 days later. It was a reman, but shop claimed they had never had one fail before. Repairs done in different shops, different states. Same truck.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Presently looking for a witch doctor for assistance. If I find one and it works, I'll let you know.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to have to find out if we're related. I thought I was the only one with luck like this!! Alternator replaced, failed 3 days later. Not reman, new. Starter replaced, failed 4 days later. It was a reman, but shop claimed they had never had one fail before. Repairs done in different shops, different states. Same truck.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Presently looking for a witch doctor for assistance. If I find one and it works, I'll let you know.

Please let me know, I am looking into voodoo!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
$1400 is the amount I got from two shops for a complete clutch R&R. The clutch, a 15 inch double disk is 750, the flywheel turning is 150 and the remainder is labor.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
$1400 is the amount I got from two shops for a complete clutch R&R. The clutch, a 15 inch double disk is 750, the flywheel turning is 150 and the remainder is labor.
Have to agree.
1400 is more a long the lines I was thinking for the whole thing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pompano Atlantic Truck is doing the work.

They are telling me $1400 for the clutch.

It needs an input shaft (full kit)

The clutch and pilot bearing.

Their labor charge is $110 per hour.

They are telling me 11 hours on the clutch. Flat rate book charge.

Transmission is Eaton-Fuller 10SP Autoshift.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
If ya have to be stranded, Pompano beach isn't too bad of a place to do it in:D Relax, do some sight seeing and take the little lady to a good restuarant and enjoy it as long as you are there:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh I thought you had a ten speed for some reason. Different creature in that truck of yours.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh I thought you had a ten speed for some reason. Different creature in that truck of yours.

How do you secure the freight?

rightfront.jpg

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
LOL!! My luck is not going to change until they turn me into ashes!! :p

We should start the Now What Club. I had a create engine put in last month, it failed after 50 miles, waited one more week for the second engine, its fine now. Now I'm in N.C and in the shop again with an engine that wont start, this time its electrical and I was under a load carrying 3000 pounds and had to cross dock it at the repair shop. Oh, I'm at a motel today awaiting the Mr. fix its to fix it. Ps, the air conditioner quit working in the motel room too. IT NEVER ENDS, Im having a Long Island Tea for breakfast. PS send Zanex,,,,,,,,,,,:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is bad enough having to fix this stuff but having to fix things 2 or 3 times makes it much worse.

Camper

Not a Member
It is bad enough having to fix this stuff but having to fix things 2 or 3 times makes it much worse.

Layout,

What model/year is your Freightliner and how many miles are currently on it?

With all the problems, you're having(hail damage notwithstanding), I'm wondering if you're perhaps experiencing that point of no return paradox that comes with age and high mileage.