D O T numbers

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
just a general question for you vanners. are dot/mc # required to appear in the carrier logo or do most carriers put them on just because they are already there. what i mean is it ok to just put carrier name and city/state. how do most of you have it done. thanks for the help.

guido4475

Not a Member
just a general question for you vanners. are dot/mc # required to appear in the carrier logo or do most carriers put them on just because they are already there. what i mean is it ok to just put carrier name and city/state. how do most of you have it done. thanks for the help.

So far, I have seen vans with all the same markings the same as a s/t, less the ifta sticker.I actually do not think it is required, being under 10,000 gvw.I have also heard that Ohio requires your own dot # on the side of each door, but have not looked into it yet.When I was at Polly, the only reason I had to have decals was because of their insurance co said they wanted them on there.Then there are some who are running for a major exp'g carrier without any decals at all, and getting away with it, such as this Russian guy in a chevy that I run into all the time running for the cat.Even his dome is covered up by a roof vent cover.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
No numbers or markings are required for vans 10,000 lbs and under. Dot numbers are only issued to vehicles 10,001 lbs and up.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Some companies require you to have the DOT numbers on there. So you have to have them.

That is because these companies also have straights and t/t to. That is why they have a DOT number. If it is a company requirement to have them on a van then if you lease to them you will have there DOT number on your van. As far as federal law goes you are not required to have any markings at all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would you not need them to carry Hazmat? We have to log and scale then? Would not the scale master need a reference number to our carrier?

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Would you not need them to carry Hazmat? We have to log and scale then? Would not the scale master need a reference number to our carrier?

Interesting question. I am not sure on that one but if your a one van operation under 10,000 lbs and licensed to haul hazmat I would say no. Some of this 26,000 lbs and under stuff is a gray area and the 10,000 lbs and under is really a gray area.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The company "logo" on the side of the box is an advertising billboard, and is not required by DOT at all. Company policy is what puts that there.

The DOT requires the company name (can be just plain lettering or the logo itself), the city and state where the company is located, and the DOT# on the doors of all commercial motor vehicles.

If you are expediting in a cargo van and don't haul HAZMAT (or a snotload of passengers), and thus are not a CMV, then no markings at all are required by the DOT. If you haul HAZMAT once in a while, then during the duration of the HAZMAT load you must have company name or logo, city/state and DOT# on the door of the van. If you occasionally haul HAZMAT, then it's certainly easier to have them on there all the time, rather than apply and remove the markings as necessary. Whenever you are placarded for HAZMAT, you are a CMV, even if you drive a Camry.

So if you are a CMV, the DOT requires the lettering, and if you aren't a CMV, it all comes down to company policy and what is in the contract. For consistency, many carriers as a policy require door markings for their cargo vans, even if the cargo vans never haul HAZMAT. In most cases, the requirement for a carrier's lettering, on the box or on the door, or both, is spelled out in the contract. If the contract states you must have carrier markings, and you signed that contract, then you gotta have 'em. If you don't, some carriers will make it an issue, either by canceling your contract, or by making you put them back on there and then charging you again for more lettering. Other carriers don't make it an issue, either because it's not that big a deal, or because they simply don't know you are sans lettering.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Here ya go:

Highlights of CMV Marking Final Rule - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

This link is in reference to the rulings changed in regards to the "marking of vehicles" back in 2000.

Down at the bottom of that page are 2 more links, one PDF link and one TXT link, that leads to the rulings and requirements in detail.

One thing I noticed though was #2.

Requires all interstate motor carriers to display the USDOT number.

There's always been that little conflict as to whether a "CV" under 10K is a CMV or not. In some regards it is not considered a CMV when it comes following DOT rules and regs. Case in point, HOS. Sure, you don't have to follow HOS regs under 10K, but you do when hauling HazMat. But, if the carrier you are "contracted" with has a DOT authority and an MCS-150 filed with FMSCA, it clearly shows that there is no GVWR limits applied to the vehicles that are running under their authority and their MCS-150.

So, it is my opinion, and my belief, that Yes you do have to have your companies operating authority numbers displayed on your vehicle if you are running interstate commerce. Even Cargo Vans.

In the RV Transporting industry, the drivers (contractors) that lease on with 3/4 ton trucks (9000 GVWR) are required to have their companies "DOT #'s" displayed when under dispatch heading out with a load and displayed if they head back to their home terminal (place of dispatch/operations) immediately after they made their delivery. But, most don't. They just yank their magnetic signs off their trucks and haul back to get another load.

Question, why do these Expedite companies make you guys plaster their LOGOS all your vans. Yes, I understand company policy rules, and the free advertising angle for the company. (Actually it's not free - you guys "PAY" to advertise their company when you PAY to put to put those LOGOS on yourself, right?) But why not just get 2 magnetic signs to put on your CV's that are under 10K GVWR? Pop that sign on when you get dispatched, pop it off after you drop your delivery and go sit somewhere "in cognito" for 2-3-4 days.

That'd make more sense to me. Again, my opinion.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"There's always been that little conflict as to whether a under 10K is a CMV or not."

Not for anybody who has read the FMCSA regulations and the definitions of a CMV.

A cargo van is only a commercial motor vehicle, and thus subject to the FMCSR of the DOT, only in very strict, very well defined circumstances. From 49 CFR, specifically Part 390.5: Definitions, but the same wording is to be found all over the place:
Commercial Motor Vehicle:
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:

1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  2. Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  3. Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
  4. Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.
That's it. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that. If your cargo van meets any of the above conditions, then it's a commercial motor vehicle. If it doesn't meets any of the above conditions, then it isn't.

The #2 that jumped out, "Requires all interstate motor carriers to display the USDOT number," that's something that refers to the motor carriers, and not necessarily each and every vehicle under their authority. That section which discusses the "Highlights of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Marking Final Rule" discusses the changes to the previous rules (which are timelined and detailed in excruciating detail in the PDF link at the bottom of that page, but which are also contained in the actual rules themselves in 390.21). The title of the page, what with it having "Commercial Motor Vehicle" in it, should give some clue that it's talking about the marking of commercial motor vehicles and not the marking of all vehicles.

But where it states that it, "Requires all interstate motor carriers to display the USDOT number," it says that because it is a change from the previous rules which did not require all interstate motor carriers to display the USDOT number. The previous rules allowed for vehicles registered under the old ICC to display ICC numbers instead of DOT numbers, and the final marking rule now requires even those old ICC interstate carriers to display the DOT numbers. The amended final ruling regulations are to be found in 390.19 (Part 390.21: Marking of CMVs) with the salient part being the General section, where it talks about applicability:

§390.21 Marking of CMVs.
(a) General. Every self-propelled CMV, as defined in §390.5, subject to subchapter B of this chapter must be marked as specified in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section.
Notice they're talking about CMV's and not all MV's.

Drivers in the RV transportation industry may be required by their company to display their company's DOT numbers, but the DOT doesn't require it unless the vehicle or the combined vehicles meet the requirements of a CMV as outlined above. If their 9000 pound vehicle isn't pulling something that weighs more than 1001 pounds, they aren't a CMV and as such don't need the DOT markings.

As for why carriers require cargo vans to have markings, they do it for several reasons, among them are consistency within the fleet, advertising, and considering they charge the owner/operator considerably more for the lettering than it costs the carrier, it's a revenue stream, as well.

"But why not just get 2 magnetic signs to put on your CV's that are under 10K GVWR?"

Some do. But it all depends on what the lease contract with the carrier says. Most lease contracts with carriers state that their lettering must be permanently affixed and cannot be removed without the permission of the carrier. Some go as far as to make you return any removed lettering, whatever the reason for you having it removed. Even though you paid a ridiculous amount of money to have the lettering installed, it still belongs to the carrier (under most lease contracts).

Brisco

Expert Expediter
"There's always been that little conflict as to whether a under 10K is a CMV or not."

Not for anybody who has read the FMCSA regulations and the definitions of a CMV.

A cargo van is only a commercial motor vehicle, and thus subject to the FMCSR of the DOT, only in very strict, very well defined circumstances. From 49 CFR, specifically Part 390.5: Definitions, but the same wording is to be found all over the place:

That's it. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that. If your cargo van meets any of the above conditions, then it's a commercial motor vehicle. If it doesn't meets any of the above conditions, then it isn't.

This brings up another issue I have thoughts on that I might not understand.

I'm sure you guys have to purchase some sort of "commercial" type of insurance for your vehicle and it's contents for when you are "under load", right? We, us ex-RV Haulers, usually purchased ours through Brown & Brown for around $50 a month. (settlement deductions through our carrier)

Now, if your 8500 GVWR is not considered a CMV, even while under load with a customers delivery/product/freight/etc, how can a "commercial insurance policy" pay a claim for damages to that customers freight if it wasn't in a CMV to begin with?

I mean, if your under 10K van is not considered a CMV, wouldn't that then place it back into the "personal" MV category?

I almost bet that if one has a $200,000 3ftX4ft 150lb computer module for NASA in their 8500 GVWR CV and are involved in an accident that damages that piece of equipment, that they will use the terms "Yes, I am a commercial motor vehicle" when dealing with the insurance company that has to pay that claim.

Is this a slippery slope issue when it comes to whether you are a CMV or not when behind the wheel of a CV running these interstates "For Hire" under your carriers Authority?

Just wondering..........;)

aileron

Expert Expediter
From what I read there is a difference between a commercial vehicle and a commercial motor vehicle. What I understand is that cargo vans are commercial vehicles. But they are not commercial motor vehicle unless they are hauling hazmat over 1000 lbs. So, when not a CMV, no DOT numbers required, or any other rules for CMVs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm sure you guys have to purchase some sort of "commercial" type of insurance for your vehicle and it's contents for when you are "under load", right?
Yeah. We basically have 3 kinds of insurance. 1) Non Trucking Automobile Liability, same as you'd have for you car or pickup, which is most often referred to in the trucking industry as Bobtail Insurance, but it's the same thing, and it provides general liability while not under dispatch, and 2) while under a load it's two kinds of insurance, Cargo Liability Insurance with covers the liability associated with any cargo damage and 3) Commercial General Liability, which is not all that unlike the commercial insurance any business vehicle would have, regardless of the business, such as a plumber, floral delivery, a pest control truck, the delivery van from Office Depot or the Dish Network installer guy van, or a commercial truck.

So, basically, when we're not under dispatch, we're covered by the Bobtail insurance and don't need any cargo insurance, and when we're under dispatch, we have the Commercial General Liability for the liability, and the Cargo Insurance to cover the cargo itself.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Yeah. We basically have 3 kinds of insurance. 1) Non Trucking Automobile Liability, same as you'd have for you car or pickup, which is most often referred to in the trucking industry as Bobtail Insurance, but it's the same thing, and it provides general liability while not under dispatch, and 2) while under a load it's two kinds of insurance, Cargo Liability Insurance with covers the liability associated with any cargo damage and 3) Commercial General Liability, which is not all that unlike the commercial insurance any business vehicle would have, regardless of the business, such as a plumber, floral delivery, a pest control truck, the delivery van from Office Depot or the Dish Network installer guy van, or a commercial truck.

So, basically, when we're not under dispatch, we're covered by the Bobtail insurance and don't need any cargo insurance, and when we're under dispatch, we have the Commercial General Liability for the liability, and the Cargo Insurance to cover the cargo itself.

I'm very famaliar with all 3 insurance types listed above. I have purchased all 3 at one time or another in all my years OTR. Knock on wood that I've never had to place a claim, or a file a claim against any policy I had in effect.

One thing I still don't understand though is "what if" you guys had to file claim against, let's say against your Cargo Liability policy, for damages to your customers freight that occured while in-transit in your so-called "Non CMV" cargo van and that claim was denied because your policy issuer had the same belief some of you have here that if your van is under 10K GVWR, then it is not a CMV?

You can't file a claim against your "Commercial" insurance policy if you're hauling freight in a "personal vehicle", of which if it is not a CMV, then it's just a MV.(personal vehicle)

My opinion still stretches to the belief that your Cargo Vans (5K - 8K - 9K GVWR-whatever) are considered CMV's in the eyes of your Carrier, your Commercial Insurance Policy issuers, FMSCA, DOT Authorities, and everyone else that is involved with the use of that Van in a "For-Hire/Transporting Interstate Commerce" business use.

Like I said earlier, one can go and live with the belief that "No, I am NOT a CMV because I am under 10K GVWR", but when truth be told as in filing a claim against ones commercial insurance policy and the question arises as to whether one IS driving a CMV or not, that one will freely agree that their under 10K GVWR "Cargo Van" is in fact a CMV.

"Slippery Slope", or just plain common sense??? :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There are a number things that have been mentioned in other posts that make it look like vans are cmvs.

I won't get into what they are again.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm very famaliar with all 3 insurance types listed above.
Excellent. Then there should be very little misunderstanding as to what they are for.

One thing I still don't understand though is "what if" you guys had to file claim against, let's say against your Cargo Liability policy, for damages to your customers freight that occured while in-transit in your so-called "Non CMV" cargo van and that claim was denied because your policy issuer had the same belief some of you have here that if your van is under 10K GVWR, then it is not a CMV?
It appears that you're one of those who believe, despite what the DOT regulations state, that anyone who hauls freight is hauling it in a commercial motor vehicle. The FMCSA is all about the safety of the public, and to that end, they regulate vehicles that pose a danger to the public. The litmus test for a commercial motor vehicle is one that has the potential for undue damage to the public, primarily very heavy vehicles, but also those regardless of weight which haul Hazardous Materials. Cargo Liability insurers insure cargo, period. That's why people buy cargo insurance, to insure cargo. It's why it's called Cargo Insurance. It's not called Commercial Motor Vehicle Cargo Insurance. It doesn't matter if it is hauled in a CMV or a cargo van or a station wagon. All leased vehicles to a motor carrier are required to carry cargo insurance by the DOT, regardless of whether the vehicle is a CMV or not. Anything that is hauled under authority and bonded must have cargo liability insurance. The insurer couldn't care less if the vehicle is a CMV or not, as long as the vehicle was hauling under proper authority.

You can't file a claim against your "Commercial" insurance policy if you're hauling freight in a "personal vehicle", of which if it is not a CMV, then it's just a MV.(personal vehicle)
That doesn't even make sense. If your personal vehicle has Commercial insurance on it, and you are leased on to a motor carrier and are running under their authority, or you have your own authority, then you absolutely can file a claim against your Commercial insurance.

My opinion still stretches to the belief that your Cargo Vans (5K - 8K - 9K GVWR-whatever) are considered CMV's in the eyes of your Carrier, your Commercial Insurance Policy issuers, FMSCA, DOT Authorities, and everyone else that is involved with the use of that Van in a "For-Hire/Transporting Interstate Commerce" business use.
Is there something about the FMSCA's definition of a CMV that you don't understand? My carrier certainly knows the difference between a CMV and a non-CMV. So do commercial insurance policy insurers. The FMCSA and the DOT know what defines a CMV, because they are the ones who wrote the actual definitions. The whole notion of "For-Hire/Transporting Interstate Commerce" thing equaling a Commercial Motor Vehicle is about the same as someone saying that if you engage in commerce with a vehicle that your vehicle is therefore a commercial motor vehicle. That's gross ignorance.

There is such a thing as a "commercial motor vehicle" and there is such a thing as a "commercial vehicle", and they are absolutely not the same thing.

Like I said earlier, one can go and live with the belief that "No, I am NOT a CMV because I am under 10K GVWR", but when truth be told as in filing a claim against ones commercial insurance policy and the question arises as to whether one IS driving a CMV or not, that one will freely agree that their under 10K GVWR "Cargo Van" is in fact a CMV.
The question never arises, because the answer is already known before the policy it even written. Insurers write policies on vehicles knowing full well what kind of vehicles they are writing the policy for, and what they are to be used for. Commercial liability policies written for vehicles leased on to motor carriers are written without respect to which ones are CMV's and which ones aren't. They are written on the warranty by the contractor that they are permanently leased onto the motor carrier and as such will only be hauling freight under the authority of said motor carrier, and the split second the contractor's lease with said motor carrier ends, so does the insurance coverage.

In any case, get real for a minute... do you think that a cargo van has never had a cargo claim filed on it? They have, and the issue of CMV versus non-CMV isn't an issue.

"Slippery Slope", or just plain common sense??? :D
Neither. The DOT, FMCSA, countless carriers and insurers have been at this a long time, and you haven't stumbled upon something all those experts have been blind to all these years. Read the fine print of cargo and trucking commercial insurance, and read the not-so fine print of the actual FMSCA definitions of what constitutes a CMV.

A lot pf people (Greg, cough, cough) have been beating the "cargo vans are CMV's" drum for a long time, and no matter how badly they wish it to be so, it just ain't so. Just because cargo vans hauling freight under authority have to comply with some of the same authority-hauling rules as CMV's does not magically turn cargo vans into CMV's. All it means is that anyone hauling freight under authority has to comply with the rules of hauling freight under authority, which is a distinctly separate set of rules than the rules governing CMV's.

Hauling freight has nothing to do with being a commercial motor vehicle and being subject to FMCSA rules and regulations. Hauling freight under DOT authority does not make a vehicle a CMV. Having Commercial or Cargo insurance does not make a vehicle a CMV. The weight of the vehicle and the danger to public are the only things that make a vehicle a CMV. It doesn't matter what you think, what you believe, or what you can reason out. It doesn't matter what you think it "sure looks like", or what it looks like in the eyes of anyone. All that matters is what it actually is, the true-blue, the indisputable and irrefutable, the honest-to-goodness, actual definitions of a CMV, and by golly by gum, right from the people who wrote those definitions and enforce the rules and regulations.

Now, someone point me to a rule, regulation or law regarding the interstate transport of property, goods or freight that says anything different about cargo vans being CMV's. You can't.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
thanks for all of the replies. i was in the notion of why not cause they are contracted to the co. they haul freight for only the co. and the logos are already cut that way. so, with all that i think i will have my vans run the logos and be done with it. after all i want the customer to know who it is if they are in the presence of the unit. they are not billboards.

OutstateDel

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Cargo Van under 10,001 Lbs GVWR is not a "Commercial Vehicle" to the FMCSA. (Unless you tow a trailer that puts the combined weight of your van + trailer over 10,000 Lbs or if you haul HAZMAT)

Online Registration and Compliance Assistant: 0.10

Your Auto Insurance is a totally separate issue. Performing deliveries in your Cargo van to the Insurance industry is a Commercial Activity so you need "Commercial" Insurance.

They have exclusions that void your coverage if you try to use standard auto insurance that the "average Joe" has.

The exception to this if you are an employee and your company has blanket insurance to cover its drivers (ex: pizza delivery)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
A Cargo Van under 10,001 Lbs GVWR is not a "Commercial Vehicle" to the FMCSA. (Unless you tow a trailer that puts the combined weight of your van + trailer over 10,000 Lbs or if you haul HAZMAT)

Online Registration and Compliance Assistant: 0.10

Your Auto Insurance is a totally separate issue. Performing deliveries in your Cargo van to the Insurance industry is a Commercial Activity so you need "Commercial" Insurance.

They have exclusions that void your coverage if you try to use standard auto insurance that the "average Joe" has.

The exception to this if you are an employee and your company has blanket insurance to cover its drivers (ex: pizza delivery)

Most pizza delivery drivers just carry basic car insurance. If they were in an accident with the pizza sign on their car, the insurance company has every right to not cover the claim. And as far as I know the pizza place does not cover you. I was always told to take the sign off the car if I was in an accident

OutstateDel

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, you only need basic insurance for pizza delivery in my experience.

The pizza place will usually have an additional policy. I am not familiar with the particulars on what it covers.

My point was that pizza guys don't carry $1Million Auto Liability.

My insurance agent writes policies for businesses like pizza places that have drivers so I'll have to get the specifics.