D O T numbers

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I think people are confusing what a cmv "commercial motor vehicle" is and what a cv "commercial vehicle" is. Turtle is right on in everything he has posted about this subject. As he stated a cmv is only defined by the FMCSA/DOT as what he listed haz-mat/weight/passangers etc. Now ALL vans/cars/pk-ups that are used for any business are considered cv no matter what the weight is or what you are hauling. Plumbers, electrician's, cable guys, local couriers, taxi's etc, that are using a vehicle for a BUSINESS are considered a cv. That does not mean they have to follow the cmv rules unless they meet the requirements i.e. placard hazmat/passengers/weight etc.

Those that think that expedite vans are not cv's will have a rude awaking if they are caught on a road or in a national forest that strictly prohibits cv's from driving on it or being in it. I know I have been stopped on some of these roads and have been turned around or warned about being on them. Those signs say NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES. Now if you have no decals on your truck then most likely you will not be stopped but if you do like I do then you are taking a risk by driving on them.

Technicality in NY. a cv can't drive on a parkway like the belt, F.D.R or the taconic pkwy. I do drive on all of the them all the time. The cops have other more important things to do then pester you. I am sure it is just a matter of time before I am caught by a cop that has a bug up his but. Also I have been turned around at the Holland tunnel "by local NYC police" because I was trying to exit the island at a cv restricted time of the day.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/commvehicle.shtml

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/truckorcomm.shtml

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In New York, any vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of property or for the provision of commercial services is considered a commercial motor vehicle in that state. That's for vehicles registered in New York.

Vehicles from other states operating in New York having commercial or equivalent registration plates from other states or countries shall not be deemed trucks or commercial vehicles unless they are permanently altered or designed primarily to haul freight and marked on the sides with commercial lettering, such as DOT numbers.

So if you are from out of state and have an unmarked cargo van, even if you have "commercial" plates, you can get away with driving on a parkway.

I lived in Jersey for a couple of years, and made many trips to JFK. You cross the Verrazano-Narrows bridge, jump on the Belt Parkway, and you're there. When I started expediting, I made probably 20 round trips to JKF using that route, never once having it dawn on me that the Belt Parkway was an actual parkway instead of it merely being the name of the road.

The last time I was on the Belt Parkway, I got a "NO CMV ON PKWAY NYC" ticket. $120, no points, same as an equipment violation. At least they make it easy for you to plead guilty and pay the fine online. :D

Cop told me straight up that if I didn't have lettering on the doors of the vehicle, he'd have never pulled me over. Commercial plates, lettering, and no passenger seats rearward of the drivers seat, if all three of those are true, stay off the parkways.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Thanks for posting that turtle now I will think twice about using there pkwy's. I have my company logo and mc# on the door and my van sticks out like a sore thumb. I have just been lucky enough not to have been caught. I figured eventually I would but I had no clue the fine was 120 bucks. I always use to belt to get to jfk. It is to many extra miles/time to go all the way up to the l.i.e. and then down the Van Wyck. I usually load at jfk in the am and can sneak out using the belt, if I a.m. going south of NYC of course, not much traffic heading towards jersey in the a.m.

I have blank magnetic signs that will cover up my decals on my doors. I wonder if I can get away with that on the pkwy's? what ya think turtle??

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have blank magnetic signs that will cover up my decals on my doors. I wonder if I can get away with that on the pkwy's? what ya think turtle??
For a $120, I personally wouldn't take the chance. The reason is, the way the law reads, if the magnetic signs come off to reveal permanent lettering, there ya go.

But, you've never been pulled over. I made at least 20 round trips out there and only got pulled the once. On the other hand, the cop was nice enough to specifically make it a point to point out the big white sign right in front my my face at the on-ramp where it said "PASSENGER CARS ONLY".

After getting the ticket, I combed the law pretty thoroughly, confident that I was going to to find something in there that would get me out of it. The more I read, the more it appeared the law was written specifically with me (expedited cargo van) in mind. :D

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yep 120.00 is a good size fine. I put the signs on my doors out of pride and for "advertising effect". But over the last year and half new england and nyc has been my running territory. I have gone up and down the belt well over 50 times. I know I am playing with fire now that you posted that you got busted. I will just have my magnetic signs made up with my company name on them and have my door signs removed. I will just look like every other cargo van out there. Plus I won't worry so much when I drive up and down the merritt pkwy in Ct. I always run down that if it is daylight hours because 95 is usually backed up.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
A Cargo Van under 10,001 Lbs GVWR is not a "Commercial Vehicle" to the FMCSA. (Unless you tow a trailer that puts the combined weight of your van + trailer over 10,000 Lbs or if you haul HAZMAT)

Online Registration and Compliance Assistant: 0.10

Your Auto Insurance is a totally separate issue. Performing deliveries in your Cargo van to the Insurance industry is a Commercial Activity so you need "Commercial" Insurance.

They have exclusions that void your coverage if you try to use standard auto insurance that the "average Joe" has.

The exception to this if you are an employee and your company has blanket insurance to cover its drivers (ex: pizza delivery)

Didnt this come up a few months ago, about cv'ers. U would wind up regulating every cv whether it was a homeowner moving someones stuff down the road, moms taking papers to a paperdrive, or an plummer hauling plastic pipe across a state line to do a job, it gets way out of hand and really stupid, if im wrong i stand corrected by those in the know here, Im up for learning wrong from right.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Yep 120.00 is a good size fine. I put the signs on my doors out of pride and for "advertising effect". But over the last year and half new england and nyc has been my running territory. I have gone up and down the belt well over 50 times. I know I am playing with fire now that you posted that you got busted. I will just have my magnetic signs made up with my company name on them and have my door signs removed. I will just look like every other cargo van out there. Plus I won't worry so much when I drive up and down the merritt pkwy in Ct. I always run down that if it is daylight hours because 95 is usually backed up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I have heard that NY, NYC dont allow magnetic signs. havent run that way in a few years so I'm not sure..

John

60MPH

Expert Expediter
They may not allow them for NY. plated vans but I doubt they have a rule about out of state plated vans and magnetic signs. Technically I am in a van and do not require any signs any how. I do not carry any placarded haz-mat or passengers. If you are plated out of state and have no signs on the truck then how do they know you are a commercial vehicle?? If you click on the second link in my post above it clearly states how they see a CV. Out of state plates and no markings then you ain't a CV in there eyes. It does not say any thing about magnetic signs. My magnetic signs are just for advertising and I would just leave them off when I am in that area.