cut-a-way van safety

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
The idea of using a box truck or some other van cut-a-way chassis design is very appealing to get the cubic ft for odd size loads.

However I sometimes wonder about the crash worthy-ness of these vehicles.

A production van is strenuously tested for crash safety, but what happens when the van body is cut from the cab? You are relying on the truck body manufacturers to keep the integrity of the vehicle while adding a super lightweight fiberglass cargo shell.

Maybe they are able to accomplish this and maybe not. Ever see crash tests using cut-a - way chassis aftermarket configuration?

It just makes me wonder about using one of these vehicles.

Just my opinion

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ever see crash tests using cut-a - way chassis aftermarket configuration?

All of these vehicles have to pass Fed Safety Standards... They can't just build them and sell them..

Now these trucks do NOT start life as regular production vans and have the back part of the body "cut away"...the are speciality build Cab and chassis that are desiged to be "upfitted" with every thing from a cube for freight to a shuttle bus to haul people to RV's for campers....there are literally millions of these "cut aways" on the road in muliple configurations

The term cut away is a manufactures term for industry use most of the public have no idea what the term means..

While i understand you concern, there really is no concern..they all pass Fed saftey standards for their specific application...and if you want to take the time to do the research, yes there are crash test for these vehicles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
Even though there are standards, the federal regs on safety are clear - commercial vehicles do not fall under the same safety regs as a passenger vehicle and hence not tested as much, if at all. The purpose of a commercial vehicle safety regs is not to protect the occupants of the vehicle like passenger vehicles but to protect the public.

It really doesn't matter anyway when you come down to it. As professional drivers, we increase our risk for an accident by the very nature of our work and worrying about it just adds more of a burden on someone.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
It really doesn't matter anyway when you come down to it. As professional drivers, we increase our risk for an accident by the very nature of our work and worrying about it just adds more of a burden on someone.[/QUOTE]

Greg , you are correct when you say that the nature of our work increases our chances of a highway accident.

I guess that I was simply speculating on the quality of the tools we use to accomplish that work.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The body is cutaway but the full frame is still there, and that is what would protect you in an accident

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
you are right greg the std's are not the same as pass cars, and i should have siad that, but there are minimum stds that must be met, and the do crash test...stop my the engineering dept at the mound rd Gm tech center, you will find a hand full of crached cubes and rvs there...but again, the testing is not to the extent as a pass car , of that you are correct..and yep, our profession exposes us more then the normal avg joe.....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
if you are not sure then go look at a dealer. roll around underneath and look at how it is attached. call the builder and ask questions. there are many of these specialty trucks on the road that have not fallen off their chassis......................yet.

if you are envisioning a john candyish state police car crashing thru the wall of your truck(bb1)........................it could happen.
:D

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
How your freight is secured in a C/V or cutaway is probably as important as how it is constructed. In case of an accident your freight will probably let go before the truck gives away. That is very comforting when you have two steel skids of metal parts weighing a couple thousand pounds riding behind you with just nylon straps holding them down.

You also have all the loose stuff such as jack, tools, cooler, etc ready to smash into the back of your punkin head.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
You are right. The passenger models are definitely designed more with safety in mind. My 2002 GMC Savana cutaway (former Penske truck) does not even have a driver's side airbag.