Crooked drivers

BlueEngine

Seasoned Expediter
How much time do you invest in interviewing, Wingnut? Although interviewing is one of the least reliable pre-qualification tools, I find it quite useful. If you talk to a person for an hour or so, one in the habit of lying will soon reveal himself/herself.

I also appreciate the interview because it provides solid examples of one's ability to communicate. Did the person just give an off the wall response to a clear question? The examples a person chooses reveals something about that person. So I listen. The questions a person asks often reveals pressing concerns, so I follow through with my own questions along the same line. The ramblings are important, too.

Recently an interviewee told me that he would no longer consider working for Panther because the recruiter didn't tell him he needed a hazmat endorsement. An owner told him he did. He didn't bother to verify and I didn't bother to correct. He had already said enough about himself. Thank you and good-bye.

If I call someone's home and that person is rude before he/she has any idea who is on the other line, I'm likely to hang up. The person just disqualified himself/herself. I want team members who are polite on a regular basis.

Much is gleaned by interviewing. Did the interviewee put you on hold to take a personal call? Did the interviewee actually think you were calling to offer a job before you had even asked a question? Did the person have basic math skills? If the person can't understand basic math, the person may not understand alot of other basics. In short, the interview is a time-consuming process that shouldn't be ignored.

BlueEngine

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I know this will upset you all, but oh well.

My wife and I looked into working as drivers for a couple of companies. We found out that as a team we'd be looking at making 45 to 60k a year as our cut of the trucks income. I was making 38k as solo tractor driver and she was making 34k,working in a office. So needless to say it would have been a cut in pay even if we hit the high end of the income number.

We decided to buy a truck instead, which is more risk. However, income wise I don't think it is feasible to be an employee in trucking.
Incidentally, I took a cut in pay getting into trucking from my previous job, so expediting would have been a double-cut.(as an employee)

The facts are that most driving jobs don't pay well. This is especially true if you live in a major city with a thriving economy.

In California a state prison guard makes 70k a year to start, he goes home every night. The average car salesman make 45k a year, and a good one makes 70 to 90k. A chef typically makes 30k to start with a cut of profits if he's the head chef. Computer geeks 50 to 90k depending on experience. These folks are all employees with full benefits who go home at night.

Except for a few companies, driving wages suck right now.

So there are only three types of people who work in an under-paid industry.

1. Retirees - who don't need living wages
2. People who just love what they do - I suspect most of us are in
that catagory
3. People who can't go anywhere else

I suspect the people you are having most of your troubles with are in
category 3. Until driving wages in general come up, it's going to be a headache finding reliable people.

Unfortunately - it is, what it is.
This is why major companies are using H-1 visas and bringing in Nigerians and Indians to drive trucks, they will take the lower wages to escape their countries. Schnieder is actively trying to recruit retirees.

A few years after the Mexican trucks start rolling wages in trucking will really be Cr**, just like in construction.

I know nobody wanted to read that, but I wouldn't be investing huge dollars in trucks for employees because when that Mexican competition hits the US markets freight rates will stagnant or even drop.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ahh yes. "It is what it is". No doubt. I certainly have learned my lesson over the last couple years about (people) drivers. I even go to the point of spending a month in the truck with our folks, to try and help them get a fix on the business. Bottom line is, you will have more surprises than you have drivers, no matter how hard you prepare for them ,or, take care of them. My best advice to ANYONE considering buying a 100K tool to provide employment for someone else---- DONT!!!! I'm going to guess, that if you polled 100 fleet owners, 95% would unload their inventory to you tomorrow A.M., if they could get out with their skin intact. I'd like to get a sampling here. Like most other things in this world anymore, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I do several phone interviews but unfortunately, some of these people get by my 'radar'. There are alot of good liars and pretenders out there. I guess no matter how well we think we do our homework on a driver, their true work ethics and personality will eventually rear its ugly head.

There are alot of good, decent hard working drivers out there but unfortunately there are just as many, if not more, of the not so good ones. It's kinda like the lottery, you keep trying till you hit the jackpot.

Asilynot

Seasoned Expediter
One rule I have is never ever hire a driver with out meeting this driver in person. The way my process starts off is we run a phone interview first, then if we think the driver is qualified we ask him or her into the office for a one on one interview in person, after this we discuse weather we think this driver is a possibility or not if we think he/she is worth it we start are background check, which could take up to a week to complete. After this if everything is cool we then bring them back in for a second interview and at this time we give them a 100 question written test, they must preform a pretrip inspection, a take a road test, at this time we send them home and then go over everything if we like the person and they meet all of our requirements then we call him/her back to offer them a position with our company. I have found this way seems to work the best for me and I have weeded a lot of bad drivers out this way that maybe I would not have caught otherwise. Hope this helps.

Tony

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
you could also go on and on about crooked fleet owners. like the man who said he took the driver's property out of the truck and threw it all away. you deserved an a$$ whoopin for that. i got a feeling you got one or you were blowing smoke. people love downing drivers on this site but you all who hate drivers don't mind us making you money away from home all the time while you have your lazy a$$es laying in the bed with your wives every nite. i'm sure the majority of you who own a decent size fleet would be up :censoredsign: creek if all your drivers quit today. most of you most likely got screwed over by drivers after you first screwed them over. think about. you fleet owners need drivers worse than the drivers need you. a driver with a decent record can find a new job in a week. can you get a new driver that fast?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
No screwing the drivers over here bud, didn't get it in return tho. Onea them deals ya know. And yes, I feel for the folks that don't drive themselves, drivers really do, have them over the barrel. Such is life.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Just want you to know arkjarhed that my husband and I are owners AND drivers. We've been driving for over 15 years and we aren't the kind of owners who get to stay home. We're out there driving just like our drivers are.

Granted, we owners need you drivers but you drivers also need us owners. It goes hand in hand.It's pretty sad that you think that owners who got screwed over by their drivers screwed their drivers over first. In our case, that is totally inaccurate. We have NEVER screwed any of our drivers over but have gotten burned pretty good with some of our drivers. It's a lesson learned and we're much wiser when hiring new drivers. No matter how good any owner interviews or investigates a driver, their true work ethics and personality will eventually come out. Such is life.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I quess I am in the five percent. We have been lucky the majority of the time as far as finding decent drivers. We have had a few bad apples, but not very many. Again, it is just probably luck, or my extremely good looks:7 Toot toot!

Seriously, I actually enjoy what I am doing. It isn't always easy, but if it was, everyone would be doing it. If it quits being enjoyable, guess what?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
I personally think it goes both ways.. I mean you can try and be the best driver out there, run run run, hand load and unload, try and go the extra mile, and get the same "games" played in return.

There's a real fine line between both parties in question.

I know that I personally give 110% everyday, and sometimes alot more.. I just wonder how many owners out there realize what they have when it's there, and not when it's too late? No two people in this world are alike. Every one has their own opinions, goals, and ways of doing things. What may work good for one person, doesn't work well for the other because of opposite plans..

When fleet owners hire drivers are they hiring a "steering wheel holder"? Or are you looking for a person that has intellectual capabilites and can make discisions for his own self, mainly because he is the one that is facing the cirumstance at that point in time and knows whether it is worth the effort or not? Are you looking for a person that has a drive inside to succeed? Are you looking for a person with goals and plans for the future?

I guess it was said best, If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself..

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>>I can not believe anyone, I mean anyone would turn over a
>>vehicle to someone outside of a friend, relative or employee
>>without a contract. I have a lot of horror stories I can
>>tell about equipment and problems that are directly related
>>to the issue of a lack of a solid contract.
>
>
>
>You most deffinatly have a solid and valid point.
>
> I'm certainly not suggesting you'd let just any swinging
>D*ck walk out the door with your keys. But i know for a
>fact, that there's plenty of long term profitable
>realtionships, existing today without "that" piece of paper.
>
> The owner does his job and thoroughly checks out the
>drivers background and job history. There is NO rush to
>hire. There is a relationship establised weeks or months
>before the first miles are ever placed on the vehicle. Owner
>gets to personally interact with potential driver and
>visa-versa. A bond and level of trust begins to develop.
>Barriers of communications are broken and both parties
>develop a sense of how things will operate once rolling.
>
>My personal horror experience, was one based on a "contrat"
> arrangement with an owner. I began driving his vehicle with
>that piece of paper you and others deem mandatory.
>Unfortuatly, this individual possessed the integrity of a
>snake. Not only was he under funded, but really had no clue
>how to run a business. So much for a piece of paper.
>
>Do business with the likes of someone like Mr. Wells and
>you'd instantly understand why a NO CONTRACT can and does
>work.
I'm glad i'm not your accountant,only a fool would let his or her truck go without a contract,the IRS would have a field day with you,and there is no protection,for you or your drivers.Sure contracts can be broken,but,needless to say they need done
The worst workers an owner can have,are friends or relatives,if you dont believe this,put one or the other in your truck. in their eyes,you will always be the one thats wrong.

elton10

Expert Expediter
I never did get to drive for them but I had spoken to Lucas a few times about coming to work. He seemed like a very stand up guy. He was upfront and respectful and had things worked out I think I too would have enjoyed driving for him and Tammy.
The one person I did drive for who DID have a contract ended up charging me and my lead driver for a clean up and oil change ( $50 and $100 respectively ) on a brand new truck that was out for ONE WEEK; and this was a lead driver who had a cleanliness FETISH
>
>You are 100% correct. Contracts DON'T MEAN SQUAT !!!!!!
>
>Never driven for better people than Tammy & Lucas Wells of
>Hillsboro,Tn.
>
>NO CONTRACT............... NO B.S.
>
>

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
>Contracts should be clear and concise. As an owner, my word
>should mean something to me. As such, I omit "headache"
>provisions. If I'm not willing to back up a specific
>provision with action, it doesn't belong in my contract.
>
>For example, I require a minimum of 5,000 loaded miles per
>month from each truck's driver(s). This is a low number. It
>pays the bills. It is not a profitable number.

Why run the truck if your not going to make a profit? When I was in the van, I always tried to run it as if it were mine. Average was 1.36 to 1.63 per loaded mile. Made money for me and the owner.
>
>Drivers that sign my contract agree to put forth a good
>faith effort to meet and exceed the minimum requirements. I
>train my drivers. We're each other's sounding board. Once I
>determine they know what they're doing, I back off but keep
>a casual eye. Approximately seven to ten days before the end
>of the month, I check numbers. Drivers in danger of not
>meeting the minimum expectation are watched more closely.
>
>Do you also look at where truck was located by company, or just where the driver is? Is it right to reward the driver who happens to always end up in the right spot at the right time?
But the driver who just took the real good paying load, now sits for days at a time, in a slow to dead area, and is punished??

Personally I would rather make money for both driver and owner, than to run a certain amount of miles a month.
"flyin" under the radar is more fun, and pays better.

BlueEngine

Seasoned Expediter
>Why run the truck if your not going to make a profit? When I
>was in the van, I always tried to run it as if it were mine.
>Average was 1.36 to 1.63 per loaded mile. Made money for me
>and the owner.
>>

Exactly, there is no reason to incur significant risk without a profitable return. I appreciate drivers such as yourself who understand the dollar.

>>
>>Do you also look at where truck was located by company, or just where the driver is? Is it right to reward the driver who happens to always end up in the right spot at the right time?
>But the driver who just took the real good paying load, now
>sits for days at a time, in a slow to dead area, and is
>punished??
>

The best drivers- what I term strategic drivers- regularly relocate to the strongest market as soon as is safely possible. "Luck is preparedness meets opportunity."

>Personally I would rather make money for both driver and
>owner, than to run a certain amount of miles a month.
>"flyin" under the radar is more fun, and pays better.

Some companies pay for loaded and unloaded miles. At Panther, we rarely get paid for unloaded miles. I require a minimum of 5,000 loaded miles. Thx for your comments!

BlueEngine

BlueEngine

Seasoned Expediter
Ahh, yes... some days are like that... but hope keeps holding out for that fantastic driver who is just around the corner! And I know they're out there!

BlueEngine

BlueEngine

Seasoned Expediter
Yep, some people are fantastic interviewers- you just know you're going to hire them- and then you check their references! Whew! Ok, some people clearly count on your not checking their references.

BlueEngine

BlueEngine

Seasoned Expediter
>When fleet owners hire drivers are they hiring a "steering
>wheel holder"? Or are you looking for a person that has
>intellectual capabilites and can make discisions for his own
>self, mainly because he is the one that is facing the
>cirumstance at that point in time and knows whether it is
>worth the effort or not? Are you looking for a person that
>has a drive inside to succeed? Are you looking for a person
>with goals and plans for the future?
>

Each driver has to find his/her own way within the reality of his/her life's circumstances. Drivers need solid information to make intelligent decisions. The outstanding driver for Owner A may be the worst driver for Owner B. Neither the driver nor the owner should "settle" for it benefits neither. The fit is so important.

And yes, I love intelligent drivers such as yourself! The goal oriented don't wait for the mother lode- they seek it out. Thx for your comments!

BlueEngine

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>Yep, some people are fantastic interviewers- you just know
>you're going to hire them- and then you check their
>references! Whew! Ok, some people clearly count on your not
>checking their references.
>
>BlueEngine
very difficult to black ball a driver without a law suite,about all you can say is you will not hire him back.
I found if they are what you want,they already own their own truck

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That's right Night. Unfortunately, they have been sold a bill of goods already, and have the wrong truck. It is rewarding when you find "the good one" and watch them grow with "their" business. For me it is way too tedious to pick the fly crap from the pepper anymore. The pain just isn't worth the gain. Someone else can do it.