Crooked drivers

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Are any other owners out there having trouble finding "honest" drivers besides me? I do my homework on potential drivers: running a background/MVR check and call their previous employers but I've learned that this is not enough. I've had too many drivers screw me over by not fulfilling their contractal obligation (we have a written contract with all our drivers) then complaining when they lose their money by breaking the contract. I've had drivers trash the inside of my trucks and use the truck for their own personal use. It seems like no matter how well I treat or pay these guys, most just don't want to work or fulfill their contractal obligations. Any tips on finding drivers who want to work and are 'honest'?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is likely just as many crooked drivers as there are fleet owners. If they are trashing your truck, you should be collecting a escrow to cover that type of stuff.
As for "using your equipment for their personal use", you would have to define what exactly that means. I could read a whole lot just into that.
Additionally, you said you checked out your drivers. How well did you check them out? Chances are that if their home or personal vehicle was trashed, your truck likely will as well.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
there are a lot of honest drivers that have records i have a record and im an honest you just look. i found a company that looked beyond my past and i plan on being with this company for years but i know there are a lot of sh*^ drivers out there look out you will find some body

god bless and god bless:) :) :)

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
>Are any other owners out there having trouble finding
>"honest" drivers besides me? I do my homework on potential
>drivers: running a background/MVR check and call their
>previous employers but I've learned that this is not enough.
>I've had too many drivers screw me over by not fulfilling
>their contractal obligation (we have a written contract with
>all our drivers) then complaining when they lose their money
>by breaking the contract. I've had drivers trash the inside
>of my trucks and use the truck for their own personal use.
>It seems like no matter how well I treat or pay these guys,
>most just don't want to work or fulfill their contractal
>obligations. Any tips on finding drivers who want to work
>and are 'honest'?

I m alittle curious as to whats in that "contractual obligation" and why you re evidently keeping money from them. Another thing those guys are in that truck 24/7 w/out maid service and things can get a little untidy to the untrained eye occcasionally.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Dude maybe your the problem...
Quit acting like a "tool" and represent.
Be at least as good if not better than the team you are looking for, if you want roses give blossoms.
If you are the whining micro-managing got to get the revenue to make my payment type I cannot help.
If you are the stand up business savvy kind that "has been in my shoes" I will tell you to be a team leader and promote success by being a mentor.
Ask, Understand, be emphatic but cognizant of your station of the game....
PS. If they lose you have already lost
Mike

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
I have found good and bad drivers. Most of whom I found on expediters online. You need to have a good contract that protects you both, and a fairly good intuition when you talk to and or meet the potential driver(s). I like to meet potential drivers only after I have talked to them a few times and am fairly certain they are who I want. Meeting in person solves a lot of mystery and you get a much better sense of their character and so do they of you. I have heard a lot of sad stories about owners who for lack of a better word, "screw" drivers as well. And let me say that even after you have met them in person that is no guarantee that they won't turn out to be less than what they seemed.
I use contracts and in my contracts I specifically state that if the vehicle comes back to me dirty, I will charge their last settlement according to how long it takes me to clean it up. I never turn over a vehicle to a driver that isn't very clean, recently serviced and full of fuel and I expect them to be returned in the same condition within reason. So all I can advise is to make things clear to potential drivers what you expect and be a fair owner and hope for the best. Good Luck.

Dianne

:) :)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Just one more thing.....
The best owner I have driven for did not have a contract...
I understood him and he understood me.
A meeting of minds on one plane and we took it from there....
Lucas Wells is his name and if you are worthy to drive for him be glad you had the opportunity as they will make you proud...

Mike and Cyn

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can't speak for wingnut's situation but I can tell you what personal use means to me - simply that they use it for a purpose other than what they are contracted for. I know that this is a little different but the same in a way; I have had employees who for what ever reason decided to take the truck home for the weekend and end up moving their sister or daughter or sons or the dogs stuff. I would not mind this if they tell me but a couple cases the guy would call in sick Monday and Tuesday only to find out that they were stuck in chicago or St louis with the truck becuase no one showed up to unload the cr*p on the truck on Sunday.

In one case I had an employee AWOL for almost a week and someone spotted the truck. I went and got the truck, took it back to the yard and opened up the back, it was full with all kinds of junk from his girlfreinds house. I dump everything in the dumpster we had and parked the truck. Later that afternoon I got a call from the employee, who was in a panic. After all the song and dance about the truck being stolen, I told him that I found out where it was and appreaicate that he washed and cleaned it for us (which I actaully did after dumping the junk). I told him I would reimburse him for the cost of cleaning the truck but I mentioned that we decided that because he didn't call anyone to tell us he would not be in, I could not keep him on anymore. He never mentioned the stuff that was in the truck.

Dispatched

Not a Member
>Just one more thing.....
>The best owner I have driven for did not have a contract...
>I understood him and he understood me.
>A meeting of minds on one plane and we took it from
>there....
>Lucas Wells is his name and if you are worthy to drive for
>him be glad you had the opportunity as they will make you
>proud...
>
>Mike and Cyn

You are 100% correct. Contracts DON'T MEAN SQUAT !!!!!!

Never driven for better people than Tammy & Lucas Wells of Hillsboro,Tn.

NO CONTRACT............... NO B.S.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
We rely on word of mouth when a new driver is required.

Recommendations from drivers already working with us or those we get to know throught the dealership or other avenues.

Place an advertisment and you will be presented with a smorgasbord of applicants that you know nothing about and who will present themselves in a myriad of ways... a real chore to wade through all this.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless your looking in a crystal ball or have the ability to read minds, a contract only makes good business sense.
In todays day and age, it is almost foolish to do any kind of business with out one.
But many don't, and that is what provides cases for daytime tv court shows.
Reading through the archives only supports that theory as there are all kinds of horror stories. Just about every single one is from someone that either didn't read and understand what they were signing, or didn't have one.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
gotta agree with dave based on personal experience a good contract is best. to bad i didn't know about eo when that happened. i might have read the forums and not made the mistake. i have learned a lot on this site, and continue to. it's amazing how many mentors are on this site and some don't even know it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can not believe anyone, I mean anyone would turn over a vehicle to someone outside of a friend, relative or employee without a contract. I have a lot of horror stories I can tell about equipment and problems that are directly related to the issue of a lack of a solid contract.

Many people are plain lucky but it takes one time to have a problem that costs you a lot of money to correct. you know that we don't hear all the times that company goes through a lawsuit and I know one company that if they feel wronged or can take legal action to recover any money, they will put a legal staff together and bleed you to death.

The purpose for a contract is to define responsiblities of both parties, to ensure that you CYA to protect your assets and to also protect the driver. Do not be fooled that being incorporated, or forming an LLC that does not mean that you are not personally liable for that driver causing an accident or injuring someone while driving your property, insurance does not cover everything and they do not always provide legal services.

For a driver, I advise that if you don't have a contract, ask for one. If the owner will not have one with you, WALK. I can tell you that agreements that are handshakes are just BS and I know that a few here on EO were screwed over pay and had to take a loss.

Oh one last thing, I wish companies like Panther and FedEx would require owners to provide for all sub-contractors.

Dispatched

Not a Member
>I can not believe anyone, I mean anyone would turn over a
>vehicle to someone outside of a friend, relative or employee
>without a contract. I have a lot of horror stories I can
>tell about equipment and problems that are directly related
>to the issue of a lack of a solid contract.

You most deffinatly have a solid and valid point.

I'm certainly not suggesting you'd let just any swinging D*ck walk out the door with your keys. But i know for a fact, that there's plenty of long term profitable realtionships, existing today without "that" piece of paper.

The owner does his job and thoroughly checks out the drivers background and job history. There is NO rush to hire. There is a relationship establised weeks or months before the first miles are ever placed on the vehicle. Owner gets to personally interact with potential driver and visa-versa. A bond and level of trust begins to develop. Barriers of communications are broken and both parties develop a sense of how things will operate once rolling.

My personal horror experience, was one based on a "contrat" arrangement with an owner. I began driving his vehicle with that piece of paper you and others deem mandatory. Unfortuatly, this individual possessed the integrity of a snake. Not only was he under funded, but really had no clue how to run a business. So much for a piece of paper.

Do business with the likes of someone like Mr. Wells and you'd instantly understand why a NO CONTRACT can and does work.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
It might me irresponsible of me in retrospect to recommend one foregoing a contract as a driver or owner....
I don't personally advocate one doing such and don't want to be taken in misconstrue.
It has been my experience a contract by an owner was nothing more than a vehicle to withhold money owed.
Cynthia and I have been fortunate in that out of three owners we have run for the best did not have or require a contract.
Again we have been fortunate, we have heard countless horror stories of owners requiring 1 year contracts (withholding last settlements for their inconvenience???)charge backs of $500 for truck reconditioning and the list goes on.
Best advice I can give is to talk to former owners and or drivers, get to know that person and like mentioned take your time.
PS. If your in the market for an exceptional owner drop me a PM, I know a few.
Mike

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard of contracts by owners being a vehicle to withhold pay etc etc. But, in defense of that, a contract is only as good as the words in it. I always ask the person(s) to read it over, and let me know if anything is unclear, or if they do not agree with something in it. I am flexible and will re-word or change something if it seems doeable. And, contracts do protect owners and drivers when there is a question about policies. However, if you "hire" a person who doesn't respect a contract or your truck or you, then true, the contract means absolutely nothing. Although if push comes to shove, if your problems go to court, at least you have something to show. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dianne

:)

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Drivers and fleet Owners are like Christmas presents - no matter how much snooping you've done - you never know what you have till you open the present!

Good contracts are a necessisty for both parties.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter :)

BlueEngine

Seasoned Expediter
Contracts should be clear and concise. As an owner, my word should mean something to me. As such, I omit "headache" provisions. If I'm not willing to back up a specific provision with action, it doesn't belong in my contract.

For example, I require a minimum of 5,000 loaded miles per month from each truck's driver(s). This is a low number. It pays the bills. It is not a profitable number.

Drivers that sign my contract agree to put forth a good faith effort to meet and exceed the minimum requirements. I train my drivers. We're each other's sounding board. Once I determine they know what they're doing, I back off but keep a casual eye. Approximately seven to ten days before the end of the month, I check numbers. Drivers in danger of not meeting the minimum expectation are watched more closely.

Is the driver in a market? What is the ratio of vans available compared to the nbr of loads in the last week or the last 21 days? What is the driver's board position? Is the driver sitting in a hotspot inside the market or is the driver sitting just outside the market? Is the driver floating from market to market? The driver's "history" is considered.

Drivers demonstrating a good faith effort are encouraged. Drivers lacking a good faith effort are asked to return the van.

BlueEngine