Conway drivers, how about a big smile for the camera?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
This might be old news but it's new to me. I was in a Speedco the other day and heard drivers on the cb talking about how Conway has installed cameras in their trucks. And the cameras are pointed at the drivers! The lady behind the counter confirmed it, saying they service some Conway trucks and the drivers have been complaining about it.

Complaining? I wouldn't stick around long enough to complain. Few things amaze me as much as what people are willing to put up with.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This might be old news but it's new to me. I was in a Speedco the other day and heard drivers on the cb talking about how Conway has installed cameras in their trucks. And the cameras are pointed at the drivers! The lady behind the counter confirmed it, saying they service some Conway trucks and the drivers have been complaining about it.

Complaining? I wouldn't stick around long enough to complain. Few things amaze me as much as what people are willing to put up with.

If I remember correctly they removed all cruise controls from company trucks in 2003.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
A guy my dad went to high school with has been at Conway for over 20 years and he said that with the camera and a device the makes sure you shift correctly and don't hit potholes are making his job hell. He's local and everyday before he heads out he has to go thru a 30+ minute meeting with his supervisor that has never driven a truck and grade his previous days performance. If that's true that sucks IMHO

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
A guy my dad went to high school with has been at Conway for over 20 years and he said that with the camera and a device the makes sure you shift correctly and don't hit potholes are making his job hell. He's local and everyday before he heads out he has to go thru a 30+ minute meeting with his supervisor that has never driven a truck and grade his previous days performance. If that's true that sucks IMHO

I find that a little out there. 30 mins wasted on the previous day? So someone pencil pusher is watching the entirety of your dad's friend's day and nitpicking it? I doubt that's happening, unless the pencil pusher used to work for the government.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I'm not saying I believe it I'm just passing the story along lol. Does seem rather pointless but if it is true that would suck

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find that a little out there. 30 mins wasted on the previous day? So someone pencil pusher is watching the entirety of your dad's friend's day and nitpicking it? I doubt that's happening, unless the pencil pusher used to work for the government.

No one would have to watch a drivers day. Some device would just upload and they would print a report of hard braking, excessive idle and all that junk. I'm would think any such meeting if it happens is a group meeting. Doubt they have enough supervisors to meet thirty minutes with each driver.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The way the camera works (at Con-Way) is, it's always recording when it's on, which is pretty much all the time you're driving, but it only captures and sends in the video to be evaluated when there is an event, like a hard brake, change in truck equilibrium indicating a possible rollover or a hard defensive avoidance turn. It records for 30 seconds, then loops back and re-records the next 30 seconds over the previous 30 seconds, so that no more than 30 seconds is ever recorded and stored on the device. When there is an event, captured video is sent to DriveCam (the company that administers it all and performs the initial independent evaluation) and if they see something that looks like risky behavior (and not an event triggered by the driver hard braking to avoid a deer or someone who just pulled in front of them), they will forward the video to Con-Way. The footage consists of 8 seconds prior to the event that triggered the recording, and 4 seconds after the end of the event.

Even if the triggered event is due to non-risky behavior, if risky behavior is observed by DriveCam, they'll forward it to Con-Way. Like, if you brake to keep from hitting a deer, and they see you not wearing a seatbelt, or using a hand-held phone, or eating Kung Pao Chicken with chopsticks while driving, you're gonna have a meeting. You could also get a meeting to discuss troubling EOBR results, like excessive idling, crappy MPG, hard acceleration or incompetent shifting habits.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I remember correctly they removed all cruise controls from company trucks in 2003.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

if they did remove cruise in03 they missed mine in 08 I worked for them for 3 yrs was delivering a load and a fork lift driver drove fork thru traileri was standing outside truck with another Conway driver when this all went down made the report out called Conway told them what happened 3 days later im loaded to Joplin because safety routed me that way I get there and there telling me I moved the truck while the guy is unloading me and that's why he poked it well luckily I had the other drivers trk # name time and he told me to call if any problem[by the way they were gonna charge me for a safty violation]and the repair we got ahold of the other driver and he verified that I was not even in the truck how could I move itall said and done they said they would let it go but if anything else happened I was gone, I walked out got next load to fl where I live going home for home time unloaded my stuff called safty dept told them where to go they and I quit,they called me in a coupla days and wanted to know why I quit I explained the story they said that safty was wrong and they would talk to them I told them that they would have to tell safty officer that only had one more chance and he was gone they said that I was being to harsh I never went back yet for one yr after they called weekly asked me to come back all I could do is laugh and hang up.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe ConWay removed cruise. CFI did not .

Which means you could both be right.

IDK, That would be hard for ConWay to justify what they claim to have on their site, unless it's only selective units or just PR :confused:

Forward Collision Warning-
Adaptive cruise control automatically keeps a safe distance behind the vehicle ahead, accelerating or decelerating as needed in the absence of driver action.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Adaptive cruise control isn't exactly 'removing' it, it's augmenting it with the ability to react to a danger, should the driver not. Like with medical emergencies, or falling asleep.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Big Al said they removed it in 03. Could have. What they've done since then does not change what they did in 03.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Removing it seems like it would be counterproductive: drivers have enough to watch, without adding current speed, when it isn't necessary. Isn't our attention divided enough already, with other vehicles, potential situations ahead, road signs [warning & information], truck gauges, route changes, etc? Why add one more thing to pay constant attention to [can't afford a speeding ticket!]?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I could see them disconnecting it back in 03 for the linehaul guys.
If you ever get a chance, look in a Roadway truck. If they haven't change, there may not be a fuel gauge or a voltmeter. Or a tach.
When I worked there they only had guages that were required by law.
The speedo had an overlay that said from one speed to the next, what gear you should be in.
Triples, running 70-15 ( Denver-Vegas) no jake brakes. Didn't have AC or PS until the IBT wrote it into contract.
Would not mail your check, even if you were in hospital.
In 96 I lived in Indiana, worked in Chicago Heights, Il. They would not pay for the phone call to dispatch me. They'd call MY 800 number or call me collect.

You can not believe how they could squeeze a nickel.

Want to get a reference to hire me ? Call their 900 number and pay a fee to cover their cost of the service.

Edit: when sleep deprived I ramble.
The disconnect would have been for assumed safety reasons.
The Roadway stuff was to show that these LTL carriers will try anything.

Last edited:

Team FROG

Rookie Expediter
That sounds right. We have Drive Cam at Waste Management, it also records if we have a hard brake or the truck jerks hard, etc. It records 8 seconds back and 4 seconds forward for a total of 12 seconds then it's downloaded and reviewed to see if there is reason for consultation with the driver.