Companies that run distances

G

GatorBait

I have found a couple companies that make you run between 1100 to 1400 mile long runs,although they give you enough time to get there,but I am wondering if that is legal to run a driver that far mile wise without a break,without a logbook,in a cargo van/Sprinter? I've been told this is how the company makes their money,running long distance like this.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have found a couple companies that make you run between 1100 to 1400 mile long runs,although they give you enough time to get there,but I am wondering if that is legal to run a driver that far mile wise without a break,without a logbook,in a cargo van/Sprinter? I've been told this is how the company makes their money,running long distance like this.

Since most carriers have NO Forced dispatch policy...I have to question the "make you run" part of your question....

or did you mean "Let you run"?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Long runs can be a double edged sword, and a lot of it depends on the intelligence of the driver, and how willing he is to be let himself be manipulated by dispatch. 1100 miles, 1400 miles, with no break, yeah, it's legal, but it's pretty stupid, generally speaking. Many times you can drive that with no break, but the question is, should you? Usually, on runs that long, if it's booked at 45 or 47 MPH, then you can make up enough time to get a good nap along the way. But if it's booked so that you barely have time for fuel stops, then it's not a smart run.

There are times when you start out on a long run and two hours into it you're ready for a nap. Other times you can drive 15 hours solid and are ready for several more hours. It all depends on your body's state of rest and alertness.

Expedite companies who primarily book long runs should be viewed with a jaundiced eye instead of through the eyes of a Big Buck Woody. They're looking for the quick and easy, as it's easier to book one long run than it is to book 2 or 3 shorter ones for the same miles (and often more money, actually). For example, if I'm gonna run 2000 miles this week, I'd much rather have it done with 4 loads of 500 miles each where I get plenty of rest throughout the week and between loads, than one run of 2000 miles where I get little rest during the trip, and then need a day or two after just to fully recover. The stress of being sleep deprived and of driving while tired has a long term effect on the body.

This isn't a matter of, "Ggggrrrrr, Look at me, I'm tough, I can do it!" It's a matter of driving, and working, smart. If you're not driving smart, you're not safe.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well covered already but I'll comment a little. Anything over 750-800 miles with no rest time is exceeding the limits of sensibility. Yes, it can be done and some do it but add in fuel stops, toilet stops, eating (eating as properly as any of us can and do manage to eat is as important as anything else) and you've used up the good hours. Now, if it's 1341 miles with 24 hours till delivery that's an entirely different situation as you should have a few hours in there for a decent nap. As stated, it's all about being smart, not just showing how many miles you can manage.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you intend to run 1000-1400 mile runs, alone, please do me a favor. When ever we are on the same road, headed in the same direction, please run at least 1 hour behind me. I don't want to get caught up in the traffic jam. That is too long to run safely. Just my opinion. If this becomes a norm DOT would be very justified in having vans log.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Wow. I log onto EO today only to discover I am generally stupid, not sensible and unsafe. Driving 32 years without a single accident. I always get adequate sleep. Won't make the mistake of posting numbers on this site again. Sheesh.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Wow. I log onto EO today only to discover I am generally stupid, not sensible and unsafe.
I don't think that is quite the correct lesson to take from the some of comments on here ..... the real correct lesson might be how willing (indeed, eager, even) some are to comment on certain situations in a general way, without really bothering to have all the details of a particular, specific situation .... or to even layout a particular, specific scenario with all the relevant details with which to qualify their statements .... :rolleyes:

Driving 32 years without a single accident. I always get adequate sleep.
My suspicion is, that in your case specifically, quite the reverse from your first comment above, is in fact, true: with over 2000 loads successfully completed, and no accidents in 32 years, you are probably an extremely conscientious driver who is inclined to operate only in a safe manner ..... to me that would indicate at least common sense, if not wisdom ....

Won't make the mistake of posting numbers on this site again. Sheesh.
Well, being honest and candid does come with the risk that those who are inclined to spout off in an uninformed manner, indeed, will .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
It's 2000 expedited loads safely delivered, but who's counting. *L* A suicidal deer ran into my personal car in 1988. If that qualifies as an accident , then that's one. There was no damage to the car. Just a quick trip to the carwash to rinse off fur and assorted animal matter.

BTW, I am conscientious while driving. Cautious to a fault, and as fully aware of surroundings as humanly possible. No smoke, no drink, no drugs. No eyeglasses, no hearing aids, no medications and no problem on a 5K run. Someday, I will be old and/or sick. As for now, I continue to receive a 20% discount on my whole life insurance policy for maintaining a health quality index in the top 5% for men my age. When I have come on EO in the past to encourage drivers to dedicate themselves to good health, I am met with hoots and hisses. So, let the lardbutts take an early exit. You tell me who is stupid.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Be interesting to know how some of the commenters would stack up on that 5K run thing .... :rolleyes: (.... me, I got no illusions :D)

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Be interesting to know how some of the commenters would stack up on that 5K run thing .... :rolleyes: (.... me, I got no illusions :D)

I cannot keep up with my son, I am not fast. I usually finish somewhere near the middle of the pack.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
For the benefit of the spouter/off types, let me recount my recent run to California. It picked up in Delaware, Ohio on a Friday afternoon, around 4pm. This load was scheduled for delivery in Calexico on Monday at 11am EST.

After picking up the load, I cut through central KY to swing by the house. Slept in my own bed for 6 or 7 hours. Left home around 5am, Saturday morning. Drove until 9 or 10pm , pulled into a truckstop and got another good night of sleep. Woke up on Sunday morning, ate breakfast at Denny's and drove all day Sunday. Sunday night, I slept in Yuma,AZ.

My alarm clock went off at 5am on Monday morning, I got some coffee and finished the short drive to Calexico with a couple hours to spare. The consignee wasn't open for another hour. Total driving time from Ohio to Calexico was about 38 hours, split up from Friday afternoon to mid-morning on Monday. Keep in mind the speed limit was 70mph nearly all the way, if I needed to go that speed. I don't drive fast, 62-65mph is my preferred pace.

Sat in California a couple days, got zero load offers and moved toward El Paso. Got a good night's sleep at the J in El P. Loaded out of El Paso by noon. There is nothing unusual or unsafe about operating in this fashion. If it were so, where is all the carnage caused by solo van drivers? I submit that van expediters, collectively, have as safe a driving record as the general public at large.

Oh, the freight was light and the rates were excellent. It was a FedEx load.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I submit that van expediters, collectively, have as safe a driving record as the general public at large.
Yup. Carriers are required to report vehicle accidents, including their vans. Which means that, contrary to the belief of a few, cargo van accident rates are tracked and recorded. And, according to the DOT, the accident and fatality rate of cargo vans exactly mirrors that of the general driving public.

It also means there are van drivers who are just butt stoopid, same as the general driving public. While you're clearly not one of them, there are a few who will drive 31 hours straight with no breaks other than fuel stops. And what's even more the pity, there are carriers and dispatchers who expect them to do so, evidenced by the fact that they will book long loads like that with no hope of gaining enough time for rest breaks. Like, when a carrier books a 2100 mile run and gives you only 36 hours to get it there.

As for the 5K run, my hat's off to ya. If I go the bank and the post office in the same day, I need a nap. :D

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
If you intend to run 1000-1400 mile runs, alone, please do me a favor. When ever we are on the same road, headed in the same direction, please run at least 1 hour behind me. I don't want to get caught up in the traffic jam. That is too long to run safely. Just my opinion. If this becomes a norm DOT would be very justified in having vans log.

LOS... I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt. But, I must ask, were you in a clear state of mind when you typed this nonsense?

Do me a favor as well, maintain the best possible physical condition for yourself. CSA 2010 is going to tighten up the rules for drivers. Many an old geezer will finally have to hang up the keys. I won't stop beating the drums for good health. Maintaing good mental health and a positive attitude, including anger management, are paramount in some obvious cases. Please do your part for highway safety. Don't you just hate following a straight truck for 50 miles with its left turn signal on? You would think the driver could hear that loud clicking sound coming from the dash. Is that safe driving?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOS... I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt. But, I must ask, were you in a clear state of mind when you typed this nonsense?

Do me a favor as well, maintain the best possible physical condition for yourself. CSA 2010 is going to tighten up the rules for drivers. Many an old geezer will finally have to hang up the keys. I won't stop beating the drums for good health. Maintaing good mental health and a positive attitude, including anger management, are paramount in some obvious cases. Please do your part for highway safety. Don't you just hate following a straight truck for 50 miles with its left turn signal on? You would think the driver could hear that loud clicking sound coming from the dash. Is that safe driving?[/QUOTE

You might be able to drive 14 or 15 hours straight, I don't dispute that. You have done it safely for years, I don't dispute that either. I also don't dispute the fact that study after study, not just on driving, shows that extended work hours leads to more mistakes. You are not the norm.

I participated in several studies on hours worked vs. mistakes made. It was fasinating. Mistake rates went up as the number of hours worked went up. Mistake rates went up as the number of days in a week worked went up. That held true in every study. Mistake rates in one study showed that there was a 60% increase in mistakes on the 6th day of our work week compared to the 2nd. There was only a 40% increase over the first day.

As to health, you are in far better shape than I, no doubt. I don't wear my hearing aids when driving, they make my hearing worse in the truck. They only make the engine noise louder. It is harder to hear conversation, sirens etc with them in. Sorry I need them. I would give anything to have my hearing back.

By the way, I hate following any car, truck, rv, cargo van, semi or anything else going down the highway with their turn signal on for miles. Sure glad I don't do that!! Ain't that much of a "geezer" yet.

Someday you might be an "old geezer" too. What ever age ranks one as a "geezer" I hope to be one someday. I do know one thing for sure, the official age of "geezer" keeps getting pushed back as I get older!

As with laws, which are written for the norm, I was not speaking of any one individual. Facts are facts. Longer hours, for the bulk of the population will lead to more accidents. I am sorry if you took it that I was writing about you in particlular. I also could have worded it better. My fault.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
No problem, LOS. I know you value safety just as much as myself or any other driver. Just snagged a load, Louisville to Laredo. Gotta go.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Awww wasn't that sweet...kinda gives you the warm and fuzzies...:p

2 ole soapbox boys huggin and makin up...:D

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Long runs can be a double edged sword, and a lot of it depends on the intelligence of the driver, and how willing he is to be let himself be manipulated by dispatch. 1100 miles, 1400 miles, with no break, yeah, it's legal, but it's pretty stupid, generally speaking. Many times you can drive that with no break, but the question is, should you? Usually, on runs that long, if it's booked at 45 or 47 MPH, then you can make up enough time to get a good nap along the way. But if it's booked so that you barely have time for fuel stops, then it's not a smart run.

There are times when you start out on a long run and two hours into it you're ready for a nap. Other times you can drive 15 hours solid and are ready for several more hours. It all depends on your body's state of rest and alertness.

I will whole heartedly agree with that.
That being said I'd be willing to work for a company like that. As long as the runs were not booked back to back.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I will whole heartedly agree with that.
That being said I'd be willing to work for a company like that. As long as the runs were not booked back to back.

Seems to me there will always be an "as long as". I'm still wondering IF there is anyone satisfyable out there. Want the money but not the work. Roast goose hunters!!!