Companies Catering To Large Fleets!

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
Is it an illusion, or do companies cater to large fleets leased on with them? Loading trucks on with those fleets first? Giving choice loads to those fleets? What do y'all think? PM me if you feel you would like privacy!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it an illusion, or do companies cater to large fleets leased on with them? Loading trucks on with those fleets first? Giving choice loads to those fleets? What do y'all think? PM me if you feel you would like privacy!:rolleyes:

It is not an illusion. You saw what you saw. The recuriter sold their carrier to a Fleet owner, now they have to deliver the goods to the fleet as not to look bad. More per mile, keep them running, reduce some startup cost, are used to intice these fleet owners to come on over where the grass is always greener. You would want the same treatment if you had that much money riding on your actions to move your fleet. Is it fair, no, same as running teams over solos. But if you are a team, you want the runs, you have invested in running team and you need the miles. Now, if you drive for a fleet owner you are reeping the gains these agreements bring, and not a word to anyone about how good things are. Then you become a O/O and things may not be greener as you thought. Kinda feels like you are being hung out to dry in the wind.

I know your pain....

Be one with the fleet

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose this was you reason for leaving your last carrier or at least part reason..

Ya know fleets are an important part of some carriers operations.....
some national accounts/customers require so many trucks in a fleet to cover the majority of loads...go below that threshold and sell too many to cover loads can put your "first call" status at risk....You actually benefit somewhat by them being there...so ok they get tossed a bone every once and a while...that is business.....Better to lose 1 truck then 20....
Boy If I got whizzed off every time a straight got loaded before me...I'd be always in a mood....fact of life out here, CV's are the bottom feeders...last to be served dinner....know your postition in the food chain and live with it or get out...
so now you are whizzed at your position...solo owner straight...
above me but below a fleet owner....

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
"Companies Catering to Large Fleets"?

I never heard of such a thing. :eek:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

yes. especially if the fleet is driving kw's. that is also where some of the fsc goes..

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would say if this was the case our trucks would be loaded all the time. We have ten trucks and they sit just as much as everyone else's does. If you really think that carriers catering to fleet owners then I guess we don't have a big enough fleet yet. Dang I knew we needed to buy more trucks DaveKC. You think if we move up to 15 they will cater to us then?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say if this was the case our trucks would be loaded all the time. We have ten trucks and they sit just as much as everyone else's does. If you really think that carriers catering to fleet owners then I guess we don't have a big enough fleet yet. Dang I knew we needed to buy more trucks DaveKC. You think if we move up to 15 they will cater to us then?

Oh...maybe. Kind of a delicate balance.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Hmmmm Weeeeellll . . . . I will say this, we use to drive for one of the biggest expedite fleets that have trucks on with Express-1, Panther, and Fed Ex. (Yes, the KW's) We did not get as many miles when driving for that company as what we are getting now driving for a very small fleet? We have been getting 3000 to 4500 miles per week on average. 3500, 3200, 1200 (home 5 days of that week) 3900, 4000, 4200 . . . but, they have mostly been little loads other trucks are turning down (yep, 8 loads in 5 days but ya know what they sure add up) and mainly East coast loads (yep that dreaded 2 words EAST COAST.) lol Ya know we were sitting by another team in Monroe that told us, "they (dispatch) know not to even ask us to take those little loads "its not worth our time" and we don't go to the East coast either!" lol Drivers wonder why they aren't making money but they turn loads down. I don't get that. Now I am not saying we take "everything"! Almost everything but not everything. Take for instance we got a load going to Nowhere North Dakota. Load was 1100 miles, E-1 paid us 125.00 for an EM to Minneappolis sat there 2 days. Got a 300+ mile load to Chicago then was called with a 300+ mile load right back to Minneappolis. We said we would really rather wait for something a little better as we had just EM 375 miles then took a 300+ mile load to chicage we needed something just a little better. Dispatch was fine with that. Even with sitting for 2 days and spending one day on EM we still made 3200. So, those little loads do add up to a good week. But ya know I think all you other trucks should continue to turn down East coast loads and the 2,3, 4 , 5 hundred mile loads. Suits me just fine cause we need the miles. lol :D

movercash

Seasoned Expediter
Wow there must be a fleet within a fleet. I drive a kw and myself and 5 other kw's were sitting out west, for days!
Thankfully we're back east where the money is. Give me the east every time. I live in the south but love workin the east.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
There is no way this is happening!Im sure the big 3 dont do this!No wait just in case ill call my congress man.He will fix it you know they look out for us little guys and gals:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no way this is happening!Im sure the big 3 dont do this!No wait just in case ill call my congress man.He will fix it you know they look out for us little guys and gals:p
I am quite sure Maniac didn't complain when he took that single skid or so from Laredo and you were there way before him...

I didn't when JuJu and I got a load before another solo that was NOT a team load...but it was slow and they were trying to keep team sprinters happy...I knew it was not right...BUT hey they always hound us NOT to turn loads down and never question dispatches motives...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If I had 100 trucks I would try to negotiate some preferential treatment. But I don't think I would get any.
When we drove a red KW we never got any special treatment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I had 100 trucks I would try to negotiate some preferential treatment. But I don't think I would get any.
When we drove a red KW we never got any special treatment.
No YOU would not....but your owners might have...something you were not privy too....