Chevy/GMC Cargo Van MGP?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get the ford.

Why? If all other things were equal, the GM would have the advantage because of the long wheelbase. Ride and loadability are superior to the long box, shorter wheelbase Ford.

Danny, what ever you choose, do the 1 ton version.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do as Highway Star suggested and try working out a deal on your own first. Then compare it to the discount program price.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why? If all other things were equal, the GM would have the advantage because of the long wheelbase. Ride and loadability are superior to the long box, shorter wheelbase Ford.

It has to do with the Government Motors issue.

By the way, if someone is going to buy new, think about putting a box on the back. I drove a Ford with a Bay Bridge box on the back - 12 foot box a while ago and got about 18 which I thought was good.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It has to do with the Government Motors issue.

By the way, if someone is going to buy new, think about putting a box on the back. I drove a Ford with a Bay Bridge box on the back - 12 foot box a while ago and got about 18 which I thought was good.

Gas engine? I don't buy it. Nope. No way. Nu uhh.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As was pointed out, if you can get a GM discount as in option 1 or 2 as they USE to be known, use it...you can not buy a gm car cheaper doing it from the retail stand point cheaper then with the GM employee discount...now that is not the same as a "supplier discount" from GM...

Yes conversion vans are a mess and a great place to get your head torn off price wise... But you are not looking at them...Go in and tell the sales guy you can ORDER a van and want to employee price, there is no screwing with it..it is cut and dry...

As for which chevy/gmc...get the extended 3500 nothing smaller...6.0 6 spd trans and the 3:42....and you will be fine...
now that being said, id never buy a new CARGO VAN to do this job , not anymore...yes you can make money, but a SRW Cube or a Cargo Max type van will let you make more... why limit yourself from jump, if you are buying new, then go for the unit that will let you make the most money right out of the gate....but find the right carrier also...

Last edited:

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate all the help. A few other factors here are I'm delivering locally. I've moved to Royal Oak (just outside of Detroit) & things are going much better than in the past few years. I no longer live in Flint. With this very same company I made like $9,000 in 7 months (or 7K in 9 months, either way, wasn't worth it).

I am partial to Ford. I've had 3 since 1995 & all have been great. My mom is leaning on me to get a GM. Even at 46 years of age, there's that inner thing about pleasing your folks. My mindset is still that of wanting a Ford, but split w/ doing something that my mom would appreciate if it's even close in price.

In the past I've been of the mindset that I'd never get a new van either for this line of work. Driving locally my first week was $1.29 for all miles. My 2nd week was $1.35 for all miles. After that I've done similar #s in the weeks where I've stayed in the Detroit area, though I haven't actually taken the calculator & figured out exactly what the all miles rates have been. It's been more glancing at the paycheck, glancing at the miles, & thinking "looks about right."

Weeks where I've had runs to Grand Rapids, to Ohio, or what have ya, have been less per total mile. Under $1/mile. I'm estimating I'm at $1.10-1.15/mile overall.

I was looking at vans from 2008-2010. Before I might see a van w/ 7,000 miles for $20,000 & compare it to a van w/ 96,000 miles for $12,000. It seems to be a no brainer to pay the extra $8,000 & save almost 90,000 miles.

I just kind of took that logic & thought what if I get a new van? If I paid $5,000 more & saved 7,000 miles, that might be the way to go.

Another thing I have to factor in is that I live in a condo. They really don't even want my current van around here. I have magnetic signs, not the permanent ones. Even so, finding a parking spot isn't easy. There's 4 people who want the 2 extra spots. One works midnites, so it's sort of 3 vying for 2 spots. A Cargo Max, as much as I'd love one, is out. A Sprinter is also out. Thank god. The one ton version of GM or Ford would be close. I may/may not have enough room to park.

The other thing that I'm factoring in is that GM right now is offering their employees 0% interest for 72 months. If I was going to get a Ford, I'd wait until May of 2012 or so since my current vehicle is fine. I might even wait until August when my lease is up & find either my own house or a place that would allow a Cargo Max. If I stay here though, & it's a good possibility I will, a one ton would be the biggest vehicle I can get & that might even be too big.

I was kind of hoping that the replies about the MPG would have been you folks saying ya got about 13MPG. Then I could have told my mom something like.. for 200,000 miles in my Ford I'd use 11,764 gallons of fuel & 200,000 miles in the Chevy would be 15,384 gallons. At $3.50/gallon, that's $12,670 more to own the Chevy.

Since the Chevy & Ford seem to be about the same MPG, it's looking like they're about the same to run.

So if I go w/ the Chevy I've got to get it before the 0% financing offer is over. If I go w/ the Ford I'm simply gonna wait until May.

The last 2 things I need to consider is right now I have no payment at all. So I'm in no hurry to take one on. At the same time, my van is 12 years old. I just had all new ball joints put in & put new tires on it. I also recently got a new battery, alternator, & serpantine belt. If anything major happens, would it be better to fix it or buy something new? It's got a touch of rust, but isn't an eyesore or anything.

I guess what it comes down to is if I get the Chevy I got pushed into something before I wanted it & if I get the Ford apparently I don't love my mom eh?

Again, thanx all for the suggestions & tips. It's given me a few more things to consider that can help my decision.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Royal Oak and in a Condo?

Are you living near Coolidge and 13 by any chance?

Man Royal Oak...

You should check out Ryder in ... I forget ... somewhere off of 94 and telegraph ,.. oh Taylor.

Also check out Penske in Livonia, they had vans there.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm over near Woodward & 11 Mile. So not to far from 13 & Coolidge. My cousin owns it. I'm renting from her. I absolutely love the location. A few pick ups/deliveries are in Troy, Madison Heights, etc. Those are really nice. The dwelling itself is a lil iffy. I'm not crazy about being on the 2nd floor, the parking situation, & the wood floors. I also miss mowing the lawn in the summer.

On one hand it's nice that they're so nosey. It keeps the riff raff out. On the other I'd think they'd lighten up some. When I moved in here I parked where I shouldn't while moving my stuff in. It was pretty obvious that I wasn't going to be there long. Doors left open, going back & forth to the van, that sorta thing. I was told in no uncertain terms they didn't want my van there. So I guess there's no leeway for uncommon situations like moving in or out.

The vibes I'm getting are they like me as a person. They wish my van wasn't around, but they realize I need it for work. Overall I really like the place. It's a lot better than what I had. If I can find a house that I like I may go that route next year. If I can't I'll be more than happy to continue staying here.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As was pointed out, if you can get a GM discount as in option 1 or 2 as they USE to be known, use it...you can not buy a gm car cheaper doing it from the retail stand point cheaper then with the GM employee discount...now that is not the same as a "supplier discount" from GM...

Well Chef, I did actually buy cheaper on my own. My friend that offered his discount was very surprised that I did it, but I did. I don't think I would have if automotive was going gangbusters, but things being slow at the time helped. I think Danny will have that advantage now.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Highway, there is no doubt you bought a conversion van cheaper..because the conversion is marked up beyond what anyone realizes and the GM discount is only on the bare van, not the conversion...so yes you could get them to discount the chassis down to the dealer cost and he simply hangs onto to the holdback for his profit and he showes a really big discount on the conversion selling it at a minimum profit....

There is no set retail on a conversion van, the dealer makes the retail sticker price anything he wants for a "retail" sale..the same is not true for a least...

Also depending on how long the unit has been in stock, there are "incentives" from both GM and the conversion company to get it out of the "days supply" of old units...

There are many ways for the customer to get a price that fits for them..

I can tell you of a person that just bought a New Cargo Max for less then $28,000 with all the discounts she was able to gather....

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
I owned a 2003 Chevy 2500 All Wheel Drive with the 5.3L V8. At 65 i could get around 20 and at 70 I would get 17. The more the weight the lesser the millage. My 2008 Ford gets at best 16.5 on the hwy.