Chevy/GMC Cargo Van MGP?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone here drive a newer Chevy or GMC Cargo van? If so, can I ask what MPG you're getting please?

I ask because I'm looking for a new van. I'm partial to Ford, but my dad can get me a GM discount. My current van gets in the 17MPG range (city/hwy combined) where as from a site I saw, a Chevy 2500 would get 15MPG Hwy & only 10MPG city. I'm not sure if those numbers are accurate or not.

I'm trying to run some numbers on the savings of the GM discount vs the better MPG (if there even is one) on a Ford.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance & Happy Holidays.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone here drive a newer Chevy or GMC Cargo van? If so, can I ask what MPG you're getting please?

I ask because I'm looking for a new van. I'm partial to Ford, but my dad can get me a GM discount. My current van gets in the 17MPG range (city/hwy combined) where as from a site I saw, a Chevy 2500 would get 15MPG Hwy & only 10MPG city. I'm not sure if those numbers are accurate or not.

I'm trying to run some numbers on the savings of the GM discount vs the better MPG (if there even is one) on a Ford.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance & Happy Holidays.

I think the GM, spec'd right will get as good and probably better mpg than the Ford. Ive never had the opportunity to get one of those discounts, but if they are as good as Ive heard, it would be a no brainer imo.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My driver gets 17-18 in 05 4.8 with over 450,000 miles on it... yes the new 6.0 with a 6 spd and a 3:42 should get that and better....i am getting a consistent 14.5 -15 in my Cargo Max with the 6.0 4spd O/D and a 4:10 read axle...

But if you are thinking of getting into this business verse already being in it and already with a carrier in a cargo van, before you buy a new van and have a payment, Id talk to carriers that you are interested in and make sure they are putting vans on..alot of carriers are moving away from them to the big sprinter and sprinter type and cube vans only.....

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may be able to get a better deal on your own than using the "discount". It may be different now, but about 20 years I bought a GMC conversion van. A friend of mine offered to get it with his discount, but I ended up doing better on my own. With the economy being what it is right now the buyer should be in a decent position. My first offer was about 8k below list, which I knew was crazy low, and we ended up just shy of 6k off. My friend said his discount wouldn't have been that good. If automotive hadn't have been in a bit of a slump I might not have done as well.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The A-plan papers (gm discount) will most likely be the better discount. HS's better discount was due to the van being a conversion. The factory discount affects the base vehicle, not the conversion upfit. The conversion pkg has tons of mark-up. That allows for a larger discount to a smart buyer.

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2010 2500 Express with the 4.8L and 6 speed transmission. I can get 21 mpg unloaded holding a constant 60 mph with cruise control. The mpg lowers dramatically with speeds over 60.

I can get 19-20 mpg loaded with up to 2000 lbs.

In the city unloaded I get around 16 mpg.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 2006 1 ton ext. chevy C.V. with 6.0 motor and when under most loads ( 1500 lbs ) with the cruise set at 70 (posted speed limit) I average 17.2 mpg. AT 73mph it drops to about 16.6 mpg. At 60 to 62 mph I would probrably get way over 18 mpg . BUT my foot doesn't like getting PASSED by everybody on the HWY. I personly like driving with the FLOW of traffic NOT disrupting it by making everyone pass me. :)

UncleTed

Not a Member
I have always been a Ford man. This year I jumped the fence and went with the 2011 Chevy 2500 Express with a 4.8 Liter gas motor. As of yesterday I am averaging 18.9 miles per gallon. loaded and unloaded. I ran a 2400# load last week and checked the mileage on that load by itself. Including several hours in Manhattan traffic and then driving to Boston with a lot of stopping and starting, I averaged just over 16 mpg. Not to shabby considering both of my previous Ford E350s averaged 15.5 mpg, all miles.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A huge advantage with the GM product is the 155" wheelbase. Safer and it really smooths out the ride.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
2009 G3500 6.0L 4spd 3.73 axle, gradual acceleration, long following distance, 65-67 cruising speed usually, approx 16.5 mpg overall.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But if you are thinking of getting into this business verse already being in it and already with a carrier in a cargo van, before you buy a new van and have a payment, Id talk to carriers that you are interested in and make sure they are putting vans on..alot of carriers are moving away from them to the big sprinter and sprinter type and cube vans only.....

A lot of carriers are moving away from the smaller vans. But the problem with most of the carriers that are touting the Sprinter and Cube Van is that they still want to pay a cargo van rate when the load is smaller. There are more actual 1-2 skid cargo van loads than Sprinter Van loads which is a disadvantage to the guys with bigger trucks.

I remember at Panther I managed to stay pretty busy with just cargo van freight. The only advantage of having a bigger Cargo Van is that you can sometimes snag Straight Truck loads away from Straight Trucks and make some better money. But most of the smaller loads are always going to pay a smaller price because they can fit into a smaller vehicle.

I'm sad to see you join the ban the van crew. You left us behind and forgot all about your humble 48 inch tall beginnings. lol!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A huge advantage with the GM product is the 155" wheelbase. Safer and it really smooths out the ride.

That is true, you get less of a tail whipping effect, but you better load that thing down in the winter time. I've had some wild times on the ice with the extended wheel base and 300 horse-power engine lol.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Some great replies here & thanx.

A few things I was wondering about were touched upon in some of the comments. The gear ratio was one. I'm not even sure what to ask, but they had choices on em on the site. Will one be drastically better for MPG & the other one better for torque? I guess I'm wondering what's the difference in the different gear ratios?

The other thing was the extended wheel base. How much of a difference will that make? That's kind of a generic Q, but what I mean is w/ the extended wheel base will I be able to drive 70 on the highway w/ 2000+ pounds? Currently if I have a lot of weight I'm often going around 60 or so. My ave speed is about 67. That seems to be the sweet spot for my MPG. So I prolly wouldn't go 70 anyway if I was that heavy. Just wondering if I'd be able to.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Some great replies here & thanx.

A few things I was wondering about were touched upon in some of the comments. The gear ratio was one. I'm not even sure what to ask, but they had choices on em on the site. Will one be drastically better for MPG & the other one better for torque? I guess I'm wondering what's the difference in the different gear ratios?

The other thing was the extended wheel base. How much of a difference will that make? That's kind of a generic Q, but what I mean is w/ the extended wheel base will I be able to drive 70 on the highway w/ 2000+ pounds? Currently if I have a lot of weight I'm often going around 60 or so. My ave speed is about 67. That seems to be the sweet spot for my MPG. So I prolly wouldn't go 70 anyway if I was that heavy. Just wondering if I'd be able to.

With the 6 speed automatic in the GM, your best bet imo is going to be the 3.73 gear ratio. With the 6 sp, your going to have power and fuel economy. I think you can get it with a 3.42, but I'm told that is a little too weak on the gearing and the 6 sp "hunts" for the correct gear too much.

I can't answer your question about the extended wheel base. I would think that it isn't an issue, but others will know better than I. For me, it would be a no brainer. I want all the room I can get. I'll deal with it from there.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Why a Ford..what's better?? ....( and I was a Ford man years...I traded in my 2000 f350 dually powerstroke for this van) ... I have had 0 trouble with this van...I did install a jasper trans. @ 350,000 ...all but your usual maintenance stuff its been a heck of a good van...450,000 miles and still uses 0 oil between changes..my next vehicle WILL. Have a bowtie on the grill !

QUOTE=greg334;497591]Get the ford.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my Droid

Last edited:

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
Why a Ford..what's better?? ....( and I was a Ford man years...I traded in my 2000 f350 dually powerstroke for this van) ... I have had 0 trouble with this van...I did install a jasper trans. @ 350,000 ...all but your usual maintenance stuff its been a heck of a good van...450,000 miles and still uses 0 oil between changes..my next vehicle WILL. Have a bowtie on the grill !

QUOTE=greg334;497591]Get the ford.

Sent from my Droid[/QUOTE]

What is a Jasper transmission?