Cargo Van check engine light/ Transit

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Instead of a transmission flush, has anyone with a Transit opted for having a complete fluid and filter change by dropping the pan?

My dealer recommended doing the flush over dropping the pan. Dropping the pan requires dropping frame pieces, as WOM said. Plus dropping the pan won't change the fluid sitting inside the torque converter. They said it doesn't really have a replaceable filter, just a wire mesh screen inside. Almost impossible to ever get plugged up.

Their master HD tech says this is the same transmission as the F150 pickup truck. They've had very few problems besides the occasional torque converter shudder. He believes the way we use these vans, we should never have a transmission failure. Hoping he's right!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having spent 15 years, as a Worn Out Manager, in the Commercial tire industry, IMHO no good will come from changing tire diameter, especially over an inch! It's not just the speedometer issue, but, these vehicles are "over engineered" and a major size change will affect everything in the drive train including ABS. While the engineers did not choose tire size to benefit our pocketbook, they did choose them to match their computers!

I will look into the Firestone next.

My dealer said the exact same thing. Oversize tires will affect the ABS and the stability control built into this van. Then of course they tried to sell me a set of Hankooks! LOL

Reactions: Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And as i said Before ... these vans (all 3 ) are Not made for our line of work .... long miles .. heavy loads ... miles of mountains ....
That's exactly what medium duty cargo vans are designed for - long miles, heavy loads (within the vehicle's weight rating), miles of mountains and towing capability.

but We addapt them into expediting
The only expediting-specific adaptations required are creature comforts like a bunk and other amenities. They are designed right out of the box to haul freight within the rated weight capacity. Passenger vans, on the other hand, must be adapted for freight hauling, although the drive train, suspensions and weight ratings are the same for both passenger and cargo vans of the same model.

they are made for light package hauling ...plumbers .. carpet installers ... light construction work ...
Those are light duty vans.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion the Chevy Express 2500 and 3500 and the Ford 2500 and 3500 with V-8 motors are built better and more heavy duty and can handle more year after year of Expedited use .... yes , expeditors are using the Sprinters , Promasters and Transits .... but the design engineers aren't really worried about the very Small Expeditors sales market ....

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have the same miles as you and as you may remember I had to replace the chassis control module for $1,000 I also have a question for any van people or Transit people. When I am driving at interstate speeds Ste 6270 I notice when I accelerate that there is a noise that sounds like running over rumble strips but I don't feel the vibration. It seems to be coming from right underneath me so I suspect either transmission or? Anybody have similar experience or thoughts on the subject

My transmission shop identified noise as torque converter shutter. Could replace TC or change fluid and add shudder fix. Chose the latter. Shutter immediately stopped, but has reappeared after 8000 miles. On the Transit, can't just drop a little more shutter fix into the unit because there is no engine access point; needs to be done in a shop.
Future reports from other drivers will be helpful in determining future action. Sure hate to buy a new TC, but......?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
My transmission shop identified noise as torque converter shutter. Could replace TC or change fluid and add shudder fix. Chose the latter. Shutter immediately stopped, but has reappeared after 8000 miles. On the Transit, can't just drop a little more shutter fix into the unit because there is no engine access point; needs to be done in a shop.
Future reports from other drivers will be helpful in determining future action. Sure hate to buy a new TC, but......?
I'm reminded of Ford in the late nineties with torque converter shudder in most of their sedans. A different atf formulation fixed most of them from the factory. Bad torque converter design fixed with chemistry.

And Ford with shudder and stall problems in the DCT in the Focus. Currently being fixed with fluid and software reprogramming.

And now this.

I think Ford should fire some of their engineering staff and start over.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Had the flush done yesterday and all better - for now!

Of course I paid for a flush 15,000 miles ago but the tech yesterday said he was pretty sure that he was the first one to do it.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm also getting the shudder at certain throttle pressures and speeds. Tech says it's the torque converter clutch. Getting a fluid flush, see if that helps! Right now I'm still under warranty, but I'd much rather not break the factory seal by putting in a converter. Shudder started when running 100's of mountain miles loaded and right about 100,000 miles.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We have had ours flushed twice because of the shudder and are ready to have it done again in 9k more miles. We are resigned to every 45k. Our technicians never have agreed with the "1st service at 150k". But our tech couldn't properly replace a O2sensor either took them 3 days to realize he had switched the sensors and that why the code would not clear.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Have any of you with TC shudder problems been advised of future destruction of Torque converter....or other transmission parts? If the Ford TC is a design flaw, replacement with a new TC with same flaw won"t solve the problem. Fluid changes and shudder-fix additives seem to give a temporary fix, but has anyone achieved a permanent fix, and how? Maybe it"s time to approach Ford or governmental agency for recall/replacement. I have no idea how to do that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if a defective guibo could be the cause of torque convertor shudder and differential noise. If a worn, cracked guibo allows some slop in the driveshaft, couldn't that result in a shudder, noise and potential damage to components at both ends of the driveshaft?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if a defective guibo could be the cause of torque convertor shudder and differential noise. If a worn, cracked guibo allows some slop in the driveshaft, couldn't that result in a shudder, noise and potential damage to components at both ends of the driveshaft?

My guibo is bad. It's also being fixed on warranty. Funny story, it's like a $50 part. Ford won't authorize the replacement under warranty! But, they approved changing out the entire drive shaft assembly. So I'm getting all new U joints, CV joints and a new guibo. Stupid!