Cargo Van check engine light/ Transit

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My guibo is bad. It's also being fixed on warranty. Funny story, it's like a $50 part. Ford won't authorize the replacement under warranty! But, they approved changing out the entire drive shaft assembly. So I'm getting all new U joints, CV joints and a new guibo. Stupid!

What kind of warranty do you have. Mine ended at 60K

Reactions: Ftransit

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Got my selling dealer, while I was sitting there to pick it up, to throw in a maintainable package and the highest mileage extended warranty. So I'm in warranty to 125,000 miles.

Oh, would have been past that anyway when trouble started. It's obvious that Ford has a problem here, but they won't ever admit it

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my selling dealer, while I was sitting there to pick it up, to throw in a maintainable package and the highest mileage extended warranty. So I'm in warranty to 125,000 miles.
Where's Waldo?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually we're in Tempe AZ tonight. None of the problems I've had have been major. Just stupid stuff like replacing the driveshaft to avoid changing a part. My limited skid differential makes noise when turning tight. Again Ford, instead of putting in the Ford rear end friction modifier fluid, they want to completely rebuild the entire differential. The van has never yet let me down or stuck anywhere. I've been driving it with nothing repaired for well over 10,000 miles. Taking a 3 week vacation, they can do the work while I'm gone. Don't want to lose days of being in service to get stupid repair done.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There is a oil change place in Mt Grove, MO that offers two types of transmission fluid change. One they just drain it and the other the fluid is pumped out supposedly getting all old fluid from the truck.

Reactions: Ftransit

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok Transit owners, this is going to sound really stupid, but here it is.

Had the dreaded transmission shudder, felt like the torque converter was slipping. Had a nice chat with the master mechanic at my Ford dealership. Told him about the shudder. He asked me how many miles, I said 108,000. He then asked if I ever changed the spark plugs. I said no. He said to change the plugs and check back with him. So I went on the F150 forums. Turns out lots of guys are changing their plugs and the problem goes away. I have had no CEL go on and never noticed any misfires. But the plug gap is 32 when new, mine were all at about 45. I also noticed the van didn't have the same low end pep it had when it was new. So I put in the new plugs, runs exactly like new again and believe it or not, the transmission shudder disappeared. Apparently their was a bit of misfire undetectable to the driver that was reducing the power output of the engine enough to cause the torque converter clutch to try and slip to make up for the slight power loss. I didn't believe it myself, but it worked! Owners manual says to change the plugs at 100,000 and mine was at 114,000 when I changed them. Some of the F150 guys are changing them at 80,000 now to avoid the slippage. The dealer says the turbo engines are extremely hard on plugs because of the high cylinder pressures from the turbos. So if your over 100K on your original spark plugs, give this a try. Your due for a change anyway. Under $40 and a couple hours of my labor and it runs, drives and shifts like the day I first took it home.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok Transit owners, this is going to sound really stupid, but here it is.

Had the dreaded transmission shudder, felt like the torque converter was slipping. Had a nice chat with the master mechanic at my Ford dealership. Told him about the shudder. He asked me how many miles, I said 108,000. He then asked if I ever changed the spark plugs. I said no. He said to change the plugs and check back with him. So I went on the F150 forums. Turns out lots of guys are changing their plugs and the problem goes away. I have had no CEL go on and never noticed any misfires. But the plug gap is 32 when new, mine were all at about 45. I also noticed the van didn't have the same low end pep it had when it was new. So I put in the new plugs, runs exactly like new again and believe it or not, the transmission shudder disappeared. Apparently their was a bit of misfire undetectable to the driver that was reducing the power output of the engine enough to cause the torque converter clutch to try and slip to make up for the slight power loss. I didn't believe it myself, but it worked! Owners manual says to change the plugs at 100,000 and mine was at 114,000 when I changed them. Some of the F150 guys are changing them at 80,000 now to avoid the slippage. The dealer says the turbo engines are extremely hard on plugs because of the high cylinder pressures from the turbos. So if your over 100K on your original spark plugs, give this a try. Your due for a change anyway. Under $40 and a couple hours of my labor and it runs, drives and shifts like the day I first took it home.

nothing sounds stupid or should be off the table with these new vans, all 3 of them...the sensor, electronic world we live in...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Tranny issue again. Coming across Wyoming it started slipping going up hills and check engine light came on. Level off, downhill all is fine and light goes off. Of course if you want to check the fluid level you have to go to the dealer. So here I sit

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tranny issue again. Coming across Wyoming it started slipping going up hills and check engine light came on. Level off, downhill all is fine and light goes off. Of course if you want to check the fluid level you have to go to the dealer. So here I sit
Sounds lie what Bill posted....a power issue or lac there of....lack of turbo maybe due to them Plugs?

you don't realize how much you use the letter K until your eyboard is messed up...My K button broe off...

Reactions: ntimevan

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes the stupidest things can drive yA crazy , like the hidden blown fuse behind the batteries in my truck that took my tcm out for lunch an left me with first gear only.....

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums after we found that fuse and replaced it 5 Ted it suddenly stopped blowing and has been fine ever since , spent many hrs looking for a short found nothing , just one of those things...... I'm still gonna have that in my head from now on , I hate not finding answers to dumb issues that will someday undoubtably cost me mo money mo money and mo money.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Well, problem #1 is that when I had the flush done they didn't put enough fluid back in.

BUT, problem didn't go away so they ran the codes and, just like Bill, #3 coil bad which sends wrong code to tranny and it mis-behaves.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, problem #1 is that when I had the flush done they didn't put enough fluid back in.

BUT, problem didn't go away so they ran the codes and, just like Bill, #3 coil bad which sends wrong code to tranny and it mis-behaves.

I'd get the current dealer to put something on the repair order that the fluid was low because the previous dealer was incompetent. Could help if you ever need a complete transmission. WOM, how many miles are on your Transit now?

I know for a fact that another Transit owner took his to a real transmission shop and had his shudder fixed for $1,200. He took the receipt to his selling dealer and told them he was going to call his lawyer because the shudder was well documented before his warranty expired. They got Ford to reimburse him the total amount without any deductible.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But the plug gap is 32 when new, mine were all at about 45. I also noticed the van didn't have the same low end pep it had when it was new. So I put in the new plugs, runs exactly like new again and believe it or not, the transmission shudder disappeared.
What about replacing coil packs and/or ignition wires at 100,000 miles. My last 2 Chevys got new plugs, wires and serpentine belt every 100,000 miles or sooner.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It doesn't have spark plug wires. Coil packs on each plug. But you gave me a great idea, think I'll buy one and keep it in the van for backup! I bet there really expensive, they have the plug boot built right into the coil. And the belt, I'm a believer that age is more of a factor then mileage on them. With the 3:31 gears and 2 overdrive gears, the belt isn't moving all that fast. Mine still looks good, no belt dust and no squeak yet at 115K.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I'm a neophyte when it comes to engine, transmission issues so I have to put my faith in whatever dealer I am at. I used to know a little mechanics but that went the way of carburetors!

The interesting thing here is that if Bill hadn't posted his experience with the tranny being an engine issue I would have thought that they were blowing smoke up my arse!

And OVM is right, everything is so tied together electronically you just can't tell what the root cause of the problem is.