Centramatics

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
What brand golf ball works best.

Not familiar with truck tires but if you look at new highline passenger tires like goodyear or michelin you can sometimes see grind marks in the tire treads where they were trued at the factory.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could running only 11,000# on a 14,600# rated axle be the cause of your premature tire wear?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We just changed out the steer tires on a peterbilt 330 at short of 211K. They were Toyo that we use most on our equipment, on a truck with a spread tandem that carries very heavy loads as compared to most in the expedite business. Kingpins were replaced at this interval also. We don't use any specific brand of golf balls just 6 of any kind in each tire. If you choose to get uppity, you could use a big name ball of some kind. Seems to work very well for us.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I use equal,1st set steering tires,michlelin, went 200000 miles,
second set of steering tire,used 14oz of 50% water anti freeze mixture,also 200000 miles,these tires were goodyears.the michelins were still able to be used as trailer tires,got $100 per tire in trade
the goodyears were also usable,but were pretty much worn out,only $40 per tire in trade.this set of tires are kellys,only useing wheel weights,going to have tires trued,if this doesnt take out vibrationg,going back to equal.I feel does better job balancing tires,been useing for years.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I use equal

Hmm, I thought that stuff was just for coffee, tea and cereal.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Phil,

As you may already be aware, we run Centramatic wheel balancers on all three axles of are DR-Unit. When we bought the truck it came without them. According to the maintenance records, the alignment had been regulary maintained by the truck's original owner. Yet, we only ended up getting 100,000 miles out of the steer tires (name brand) that came on the truck. They began cupping as they wore into the softer rubber, and like you we chose not to try and squeeze more miles out of them only to shake the truck to pieces.

We replaced the steer tires and installed a set of Centramatics on the steer axle at the same time. It was a matter of weeks and we were placing Centramatics on the drive and pusher lift axle. That was almost three years ago We liked them that much! At that time a set cost approximately $220.00 installed.

We have experienced a 45% increase in our steer and drive axle tire life, and that's running Goodyear 395 steers and 372 drives. The difference in the way the truck rides was well worth the investment and the added tire life, that's the icing to go with the cake.

Continue what you have been doing thus far. Complete that set of Centramatics. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results!:7

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
>Has anyone else noticed the noise from the centramatics at
>slow speeds?

Yah, sounds like an air leak or one of them old hula hoops with the "shoop" beads in it ;) . Mine gets quiet at 25 or so.

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Will just putting them on the front help. Also we have a d unit m2-107 Freightliner. We noticed that truck runs good but sometimes rough roads truck tends to hop. Will centramics help that, Is that a symptom of class 7 trucks or do all trucks hop on the choppy hiways

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
They will only help an out of ballance condition on the wheel that they are on. Most common use is on the steer axle. Bad roads are not going to be helped with that device.

On the upside you will be able to see about a fifty percent increase in tire life.