Centramatics

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Bummer today, sort of. With 108,000 miles on our truck, we replaced our first set of steer tires. While the treads had 8/32" remaining, cupping had begun. Knowing the tires had only more cupping to look forward to, and being serious about keeping our truck in tip-top condition, we replaced old with new.

When we purchased the truck in June, 2006, I seriously considered putting Centramatics on then. I chose not to, thinking the high quality tires (Michelin) and 14,600 lbs front-axle rating, combined with diligent tire care would render Centramatics unecessary.

(For those who do not know, Centramatic is a product. It is is an on-board wheel balancing system. The manufacturer claims it extends tire life. See: http://www.centramatic.com . Drivers often say Centramatics because the devices are installed in pairs.)

I hated to see tires with decent tread depth remaining come off the truck. We could have driven several thousand more miles on them but chose not to. The cupping would only grow worse and the vibration would put additional stress on all front suspension components.

I like to think I did everything right with the tires. Shortly after we bought the truck, we had the alignment checked. Tow adjustments were made. Everything else checked out ok. The wheels were balanced on the truck at the same time. Wheel alignment was checked again at a later date with no adjustments needed. Tire pressure was carefully monitored and continually maintained with an air hose and gladhand we have on the truck.

Still, just this morning, on a pre-trip inspection, I noticed cupping starting to occur. Bummer! Off to the tire shop we go. While it is not unheard of to replace steer tires with 108,000 miles on them, I was hoping to do better.

With the benefit of hindsight, it may have paid to have had the tires balanced twice in nine months instead of once. But who wants to run to a tire shop two or three times a year for wheel balancing? Not me, and I don't know anyone else that does either.

We now have a new set of Michelin steer tires and Centramatics too. Time will tell if Centramatics live up to their claims. It will be a good experiment; same truck, same brand tire, same co-drivers, same freight, and a 108,000 mile, 8/32" base line to compare. When the odometer hits 216,000 we'll have an interesting comparison to make and results to report.

I'm curious to know what experience with Centamatics other expediters have had, and what opinions they have to share.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Golf balls are probably the best. They are about as good as a bag of equal, but aren't affected by humidity.

If everything checked out Phil on alignment etc, then I would have the tires trued. Pretty common issue on the Volvos.
Centramatics or golf balls will help, but won't likely be a total cure.
I should add also, Michelins are also alittle more prone to cupping. Bridgestones tend to be alittle better.
Or at least, that has been our experience.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Tire manufacturers advise against golf balls. The inner lining of the tire is designed to perfrom certain functions. Ongoing contact with golf balls or any other substance is not contemplated in the design. Golf balls degrade the lining.

And, yes, I am sure there are thousands of drivers who have been using golf balls in their tires for years with no problems. I'm not one to disrespect manfuacturer recommendations. They certainly know their products and product history better than me.

Still, since golf balls have been offered as a suggestion, could the golf ball users say what results they have had? Have you kept track of the tire wear numbers over time? How do you know golf balls in a tire are better than no golf balls in a tire?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All it took was getting up to speed the first time with the Centramatics to make me a believer. The truck had just a little bit of shake. With the Centramatics, it's gone. Of course, as you said, time will tell.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Better than half the tires sold are never 100 percent round. That is the reason you have them trued. Balancing does absolutley nothing for that correction.
While not scientific, we ran golf balls in one tire, and not in the other on a KW. Rotated when necessary and monitored air pressure. On the same brand tire, the one with the golf balls wore better than the other. Centramatics I would think would accomplish something simular.
Since casings are retreaded many times over, we have never had a issue with the inside ever breaking down. We usually get close to 200,000 on a set of steers.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes, you could do the same to the drive tires. Some trucks we did, and some we didn't. We used 5 a tire. One would not be enough.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Better than half the tires sold are never 100 percent round.
>That is the reason you have them trued. Balancing does
>absolutley nothing for that correction.
>While not scientific, we ran golf balls in one tire, and not
>in the other on a KW. Rotated when necessary and monitored
>air pressure. On the same brand tire, the one with the golf
>balls wore better than the other. Centramatics I would think
>would accomplish something simular.
>Since casings are retreaded many times over, we have never
>had a issue with the inside ever breaking down. We usually
>get close to 200,000 on a set of steers.

On what kind of truck? How much GVWR on the front axle? How much actual weight on the front axle? What brand of tires? What class of tire (G, H)?

Your statement about half the tires sold not being 100% round tires is interesting. Your source so I can further research that please?

For cost/benefit calculations, how much does it cost to have tires shaved to true them up? How much tread depth comes off on such a procedure?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
We use the centramics, they seem to help ALOT. While having my last set of steers mounted the guy at the tire shop said about the same thing as Dave about not being round.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On what kind of truck? How much GVWR on the front axle? How much actual weight on the front axle? What brand of tires? What class of tire (G, H)?
==============================================
This was done on a KW900. 12,000 lb axle carrying roughly 11,000 on the nose. Bridgestone tires that were G rated I believe.
Your Volvo is alittle heavier, put the same principles would apply if you are talking about golf balls.
As far as truing, we do it on all of them.

Your statement about half the tires sold not being 100% round tires is interesting. Your source so I can further research that please?
=================================================
Generally any dealer or a place that actually trues the tire. If they don't offer that service, they will likely tell you their tires are perfect. Experience tells me much different. When the tire is put on the machine to be trued, you will find out quickly just how out of round it could be, or improperly mounted on the rim. It also will aid in detecting a bent rim.

For cost/benefit calculations, how much does it cost to have tires shaved to true them up? How much tread depth comes off on such a procedure?
=========================================
We pay $25.00 a tire in FL and slightly higher at other places. As far as how much comes off depends on the tire. We have had some take maybe a 32nd off, to a eighth. Any higher on a new tire, I demand another one. The amount removed is usually from only part of the tire, not all the way around. Just the high spot(s).

I can't remember the name, but there was a dealer for selling the truing machines at MATTS this weekend that was testing a bunch of new tires and it was interesting to watch. But....consider the source of them selling the machine. They were using name brand tires though in their live demo.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I have had tires trued before. provoked the heck out of me to grind/cut a new tire. Went to a different place and they broke the tire down and rotated it on the wheel and that solved about 1/2 of the problem.

Also when mounting the wheels on the truck have them spin the tire to make sure that it is centered on the studs, or it will thump just like an out of ballance tire.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to work at Firestone in the radial truck and bus cure dept. and then final inspection dept....Tires that balance up near perfect go to the truck Manufacturer, the ones that couldn't be ground down and factory balanced, went to dealers, They are not perfect but close, ones that exceeded a set requirement were branded out as bleamish or seconds.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,

FYI
If you checked the front axle alignment, you only did half the work. Check the rear axle alignment too. Every tech I talked to about streching (related subject), including the FL engineers all said front tire wear is dependent on rear axle/frame alignment.

And

OEM tires are balanced differently than a dealer or a tire jockey balances a tire. Usually they are balanced in sets.

Also Contact goodyear through their website and ask to talk to an engineer, they should call you back in a day or two.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kinda from the old school, but if the steering wheel shakes, it is the front axle, and if the passenger seat shakes with no passenger, it is the rear axle.
Nothing scientific, but surprisingly, it has been pretty accurate.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
I you had the steers them balanced a couple more times they *may* have lasted longer.

I'd definitely be having another close look at that front-end along with a 3-axle laser alignment, but keep in mind the man/gal doing the alignment is the most important part of the process.

You've already gone with the Centramatics which would have been the 3rd suggestion.

Front-end issues with the Volvo goes back a long ways, but one would think they have cleared that up now by now. I don't know... have they? I'm not up on the news with respect to that.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>>>snip<<<
>
>I'm curious to know what experience with Centamatics other
>expediters have had, and what opinions they have to share.
>

In late July,'06 I replaced my BF Goodrich steers with Goodyears. The BFGs had 187,000 miles on them, nice even wear with no cupping or rivering. The truck has Centramatic balancers. At the install the truck had a new set of kingpins and bushings installed and a 3 axle alignment. In December I had Alcoa DuraBrite wheels installed on the steer axle and the outer drives and all tires rotated. The Goodyears are wearing very nicely. I'm hoping to get over 200K with them.

IMO, Centramatics are a good thing!

Rex