:censoredsign:, :censoredsign:, :censoredsign:.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Am I the only one complaining about a Garmin 2720 GPS unit? My GPS is constantly "recalculating". It sometimes runs me off the interstate, down some country road a couple miles, through McDonalds, then back to the interstate. It is always losing satellite reception. This is the third Garmin I have had. The 2720 unit won't allow me to reverse the route, like an earlier unit I had. Can the Magellen models reverse the route? Can any model find an interstate mile marker or exit? Anybody have any experience with the Tom Tom units? Can any unit find a truck stop or rest stop?
Thanks. :+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We bought a Magellin 700 from Costco and it was love at first sight. The gadget never failed us when taking us to and from any of the several dozen addresses in the USA and Canada to which we traveled. Shortly after Thanksgiving the thin crashed and would not stay on for more than a second each time I turned it on. We were in Chicago near a Costco so we returned it for a return of $850 because they don't stock that model any more.

We then bought the Magellin 360 from the same store. It works as advertised but is not very user friendly, compared to the 700. It is slow to compute or recompute a route. It does not allow a detour of an entire road. ie. when in NYC recently, the Magellen insisted we travel on the parkways. You can only delete a portion of the parkway so the thing sends you to the next entrance to the parkway we don't want. I'm returning this $600 Magellen to Costco as soon as I receive my next GPS.

To answer the OldProf, the Magellins I've had don't allow route reversal but the 700 gives MM and shows most every road in the vicinity, even some dirt roads.

I've ordered a Garmin Street Pilot c340 from Costco for $678. A motor Coach driving friend has used his model c320 for about a year and is more than pleased with the performance of this item so, I'm gonna give the c340 a try.

I know these things can be bought cheaper elsewhere but, no one can match the return policy of Costco or perhaps the other warehouse like Sam's or BJ's.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
All i do is call the shipper or consignee for directions
when getting close to the city.And save myself hundreds of
dollars by not purchasing one of those things.

Whitewolf 53

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dispatch is off about 25% of the time, one way or another. They get their directions from the customer or other drivers.

I use mapquest before I start driving. Writing everything down reinforces it. If I have a chance when I'm close to delivery, I pull off and check them again on the puter. Anything I can't stand is being lost with nowhere to pull over. New Jersey, you getting this? LOL :7

Pappy

Expert Expediter
I personally use the old cell phone too. BUT---I guess everything has its drawbacks.---Sometimes when you call the consignee for directions---You end up wondering how in the world they got to work themselves!

Pappy

34 years T/T x( x( x( x( x(

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
I'd hold off on any decision or changes if your with P2.Why pay for something the carrior is willing to supply and maintain?

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another solution, perhaps.

We use an HP laptop, with have both DeLorme and MS Streets GPS routing.

The laptop costs us $499.00 2 yrs ago at Staples on sale, Delorme cost $119 at Best Buy and MS Streets $19 with rebates from OfficeMax.

The laptop not only provides us with a CD-DVD player, but we also enter our business expenses while on the road using MS Money and Excel spreadsheets, and, is when hot spots are found we can surf the web as well.

Total cost of the above is approximately $700 including the software.

We also experimented with the smaller GPS displays, but we prefer the 16" display from the laptop.

Just what works for us.

Be Safe and Happy Holidays !!!!!!!!!!;)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
on the garmin are you using the little ant that is on the outside of the unit or using the outside ant, i have 2610 and have mag ant on the outside, and on my star had to go to a marine ant as door on western star kept breaking cable , found out how tight the door was and there was no room for cable between door rubber and door
at three replacement firgure out the problem
so once again what type of ant do you have that might be the problem
mag ant is anywhere from 25 and up depending where you buy it

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
My Garmin ant is built in the unit. I like the idea of PII having the GPS unit in the QC. Think I will wait and see.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
From what I hear, Qualcomm is looking at providing gps directions similar to the Garmin/magellin/TomTom units. PantherII is one of the several carriers chosen to beta test the program. Perhaps one of the PII drivers can tell us if all or just a few trucks have the software installed.

When and if the test is successful, Qualcomm will surely offer the service to all of the Qualcomm equipped carriers, but at what price? QC has several other programs either in operation now, or planned in the future. E-Mail and a b/w printer are two.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We just seen it a couple of weeks ago. I believe the startup is after the first of the year. Much more advanced than our current units. It also has audio and remote capabilities.
GPS routing and large color screen are a big plus.
It also had the ability to select message to particular trucks. This eliminates getting TT messages and you are drivimg a van.
Email and a printer are available as well.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Magellin/ Garmin update.

As mentioned above, I've used the Magellin models 700 and 360. The 700 was unreliable as it failed to operate after a short ownership and it was not truck friendly as it insisted I take parkways in NY city. The 360 was not user friendly and was too slow in calculating a reroute when a prompted turn was not desired or taken.

I have now used the Garmin Model c340 for about 1000 miles and find it to be superior in many ways over the two Magellins I've used. Except for on/off and volume controls, it is entirely touch screen and very user friendly. The main map shows a 3D view of the route ahead, much like the view from a low altitude airplane windshield. That screen also shows highway traveled and next turn; ETA; and miles to turn. (the Magellins show miles to next waypoint and not always to turn when on the interstates)

Touch the ETA field and a screen showing real-time MPH, distance to del and miles traveled this trip. Also, avg mph, time driving and time stopped. Lots of info on a small screen. The screen changes color and dims at dusk and returns to daylight ops at dawn. As far as I'm concerned this is the best buy.

Some folks believe this expensive tool is a waste of money. I would agree if we only travelled local and became used to there whereabouts of all our customers. I'm not confident that this GPS gadget will pay for itself in saved time and fuel, but the peace of mind in knowing I'll find every customer in the shortest time possible everytime is worth every dollar spent thus far

Pappy

Expert Expediter
OK professor---I hereby, after reading all of the above posts,command you to rush out and buy the Garmin c340--The one Terry likes!
As of January 1,2006, there will be a ten dollar surcharge for bitching!
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Pappy
34 years T/T;) ;) ;)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
White Wolf, do not take this personal but your so wrong

Technology is being inveneted everyday to save costs. You spend more time on the phone writing directions down that I have already unloaded and beat you to being available. Ever had to wait for someone who put you on hold? If not your much much better than I.

Ever make a wrong turn because the sign just was not there or the Exit came before you expected it to. I am not perfect either but these tools are essential to the success of ones business.

As for saving your $700 or so I have saved at least half of that in fuel in the past year because of to the tool I purcahsed and ten times that in time and AGGRIVATION. Is there anything else more aggrivataging in our business than being 10 minutes late and getting lost when this tool takes you right of that situation and when I am late I can tell Dispatch or the customer tell them exactly how far I am away and my expected TOA (time of arrivial).

So I for one and I can speak from expierence here find this to be a great tool to impress my Disptach (maybee that extra one load a month because I can be counted on for not bugging them or the custoemr for directions) hmm just paid for it in one month not including the fuel savings. In this business one can not afford to be without and if you ever get one you will know exactly what I mean. Can you please hold, or shes at lunch call back at 1:00 oh I cannot help you will need to call back.

So we are not foolish in spending our $ on tools to not have to depend on someone elses wrong directions or waisting there time. Time is $ and I respect my customers time and my time, I expect them to do the same (customers).

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Pappy mentioned a ten dollar surcharge for bitchin'. Will that be a surcharge paid to me like FSC? Who will pay it to me? My carrier? EO web site?

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Broom:I never said any of you were foolish for purchasing one of those things.All i am saying is i just call the shipper or consignee for directions. Sure i have been put on hold etc.etc. But i always give myself an extra hour for finding the place.
Now don't get me wrong.I have gotten lost plenty of times,but by giving myself that extra hour i have never been late for a pickup or delivery.
And besides i drive for a O/O and i don't think he would spring for one of them.
OH WELL HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I also have the Magellan 700 and it has saved me many wrong turns and lots of miles in my opinion. I agree with Broom,it is a great investment in your business. We don't really have time to get lost or have to drive 10 miles to find a place to turn a straight truck around.

I must say they are more user friendly for vans and cars than for big trucks. There are times it wants you to go down roads that are closed to truck traffic. Percentage of that happening is very small, and all you have to do is check your location as to where you have to be ,on the screen.

As for return trips. No problem there, just go to previous locations, and click on where you came from. WaLa you are on your way back. Terry also found out on the Magellan, you can reprogram your home when you leave a shipper,and then click on that for your return trip. Good Luck with your GPS. I love Mine....Butch :D :D :D