CB radio in Expeditor Van?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most? Probably not. I've never done a head count, but most of the vans I see don't have a CB. A significant percentage do, though. I have one. It's certainly not a necessity, and even if you don't use it very often, it's a valuable tool to have.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
I use the Cobra 29 LX CB. The nice thing about it the on board weather radio feature. It receives the WX broadcast automatically from over 200 miles away, letting me know whats coming from a good distance away.
[h=1][/h]

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I'd feel nekkid without a CB LOL.... too many years having them in my vehicles.. personal and work.

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a shop locally that does car stereo and also ham radio. I'm going to get them to install my ham radio for me when I get a chance and maybe cb also.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have to agree with Turtle, It is not a necessity, but nice when needed, like in bad weather and road conditions, or when you may even pass by a friend of yours that also may have a C.B. in their van.Believe it or not, but a P.A. speaker also may have it's advantages as well, especially when an undesirable person may come knocking on you're door at night.The last thing they want is more attention drawn to them by you're van.

I have noticed, as time goes on, that more and more drivers are not talking on the C.B. like they used to, being in part due to XM radio, cell phones, etc, to keep them more occupied throughout the trip.It used to be where you couldn't get a word in edgewise, but now, it gets pretty quiet out there..

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have noticed, as time goes on, that more and more drivers are not talking on the C.B. like they used to, being in part due to XM radio, cell phones, etc, to keep them more occupied throughout the trip.It used to be where you couldn't get a word in edgewise, but now, it gets pretty quiet out there..

Now people make asses of themselves in the Soapbox instead of on the CB.

Attachments

• 26391_internet_394.jpg
    26391_internet_394.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Dreamer. My c.b. is always on, squelch turned up and volume down. I have the ability to ignore the garbage and tune in to useful info even while listening to music or a recorded book. I get a kick out of people who say they only turn on the c.b. when stuck in a traffic jam. I guess it is nice to find out the reason why you are not moving while I'm taking an alternate route.

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm with Dreamer. My c.b. is always on, squelch turned up and volume down. I have the ability to ignore the garbage and tune in to useful info even while listening to music or a recorded book. I get a kick out of people who say they only turn on the c.b. when stuck in a traffic jam. I guess it is nice to find out the reason why you are not moving while I'm taking an alternate route.

As true as this is, not everyone reports traffic backups voluntarily.And besides, most of the time it ends up being quicker staying the course versus the detour, because now, everyone is jammed up on some 2 lane country road, going through some small town with a stoplight that takes forever...lol..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

What's that you say, It also makes a great wheel chock?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's that you say, It also makes a great wheel chock?

IMG_0708.jpg

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
<Ping> My guys' handle is the Frisco Savage, you thilly goose.<Annoying series of irritating tones>

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My CB has about 100 watts of power and I still need someone to run everything for me so I don't screw it up putting it in the van

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Zero3nine is reading the mail, running your meter from wall to wall....

...and I'm back quiet.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ugh, I hate the radios guys have modified with illegal power etc.. They're meant to talk to others within a few miles and that's great. Then you get the illegal radio that talks out 20-30 miles or maybe more. (S)He joins in with the guys a mile or two away and every time he talks he blankets 30 miles and disrupts the many others who are having their own conversations outside the range of the legal participants in his conversation. Worse yet, two illegals get into a conversation 20-30-40 miles apart which they can do with their illegal radios and they disrupt absolutely everyone.

Now, the fact that she is flat as a board or that he is two fingers on his best day is sad for them but they shouldn't attempt to make up for it with an illegal radio that splatters across half a dozen or more channels and blocks out every legal radio within range. Not only is that just wrong both legally and morally, it also calls attention to the very tiny shortcomings they are using the radio to try to hide and overcome.