CB radio in Expeditor Van?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run a strait truck opperation so I say, go ahead and spend arround 100 bucks and invest in a good starter radio, I have a basic cobra with weather band the most important part is good quality dual antenas taller is better and point them away from any metal like cargo boxes, ac units, etc. You realy dont need the Super Colider Atom Smasher if your budget dosent allow. Have a CB shop tune and peak it and dial in the antenas to get the most out of it just keep it legal and you should be able to get abbout five miles easy, ten if conditions are right.
Yeah allot of guys dont use it as much as before cell phones thats why i say dont break the bank but those like me who do use it often. If drivers give you grief just ask them whos name is on thier vehicle title if thier company drivers that usualy shuts them up. Owner ops and vetslike myself are usualy happy to talk to you so long as you are not an iddiot or crude.
BTW I tend to agree with LDB about the illegal mods. The FCC dose ocasionaly look for those opperating outside of legal limmits and tee fines are huge.
Later.
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Ugh, I hate the radios guys have modified with illegal power etc.. They're meant to talk to others within a few miles and that's great. Then you get the illegal radio that talks out 20-30 miles or maybe more. (S)He joins in with the guys a mile or two away and every time he talks he blankets 30 miles and disrupts the many others who are having their own conversations outside the range of the legal participants in his conversation. Worse yet, two illegals get into a conversation 20-30-40 miles apart which they can do with their illegal radios and they disrupt absolutely everyone.

Now, the fact that she is flat as a board or that he is two fingers on his best day is sad for them but they shouldn't attempt to make up for it with an illegal radio that splatters across half a dozen or more channels and blocks out every legal radio within range. Not only is that just wrong both legally and morally, it also calls attention to the very tiny shortcomings they are using the radio to try to hide and overcome.

So, Leo, What does one's anatomy have to do with how big one's radio output is? I've never had a complaint about my equipment..lol.....I used to run a grey linear,Northstar radio, which I bought new in 97 and still use it, but not the 320 channels.. Monkey made antenna.Yes, it would put out over 1,200 watts with this setup, and it had 2- 30 amp power wires going to the batteries, and has had a range of over 50 miles on 19..And, yes, it would open garage doors that were opener equipped, talk to Burger King drive through headsets,and, If not careful, fry the radio of someone using their radio if too close to me..while I keyed up..But, I have since got out of all of that, and hardly talk anymore on the radio to begin with.But, if it bothers you that much,bigger radios walking all over you, why not take you're radio conversation to another channel to begin with? Isn't that what one is supposed to do? And how is it "Morally" wrong to have a big radio?....Just wondering...I'm back out and quiet...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, Leo, What does one's anatomy have to do with how big one's radio output is?
I got into this discussion a few years ago here on E.O., only that particular topic dealt with straight pipes and jake brakes. At the moment I'm not up to debating this again. Read any basic psychology text and pay particular attention to the chapters dealing with low self esteem.

But, if it bothers you that much,bigger radios walking all over you, why not take you're radio conversation to another channel to begin with? Isn't that what one is supposed to do?

Why not take your big radio to another channel, oh yeah, nobody would know you had a big radio if you did, except of course for the bleed over. To quote a dear deceased friend of mine: "Short tank, short crank, no charisma!" I'm not sure why this line came to mind or even if it is relevant to this thread, but E.O. is long over due for a Scott Harvey quote!

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Weather option on CB I did not know about so this is something that would be great to have.

guido4475

Not a Member
I got into this discussion a few years ago here on E.O., only that particular topic dealt with straight pipes and jake brakes. At the moment I'm not up to debating this again. Read any basic psychology text and pay particular attention to the chapters dealing with low self estee

Why not take your big radio to another channel, oh yeah, nobody would know you had a big radio if you did, except of course for the bleed over. To quote a dear deceased friend of mine: "Short tank, short crank, no charisma!" I'm not sure why this line came to mind or even if it is relevant to this thread, but E.O. is long over due for a Scott Harvey quote!

So now you have changed you're name to Leo?....lol..

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it would put out over 1,200 watts with this setup, and it had 2- 30 amp power wires going to the batteries, and has had a range of over 50 miles on 19..And, yes, it would open garage doors that were opener equipped, talk to Burger King drive through headsets,and, If not careful, fry the radio of someone using their radio if too close to me..while I keyed up.....

Pretty much says it all.

When your stuff is frying other people's stuff...it ain't cool...it's asinine.

There is no excuse for stupidity and thats my opinion of the big radios.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So now you have changed you're name to Leo?....lol..

I happen to agree with Leo. That should make his day. Over-powered radios walking all over everybody and bleeding across all 40 channels is just as rude as the straight pipes and jake brakes in a truck stop lot or the moron with the rap music cranked with full bass and the sheet metal is rattling. Its an unwelcome intrusion upon others. Totally unnecessary.