cat bashing

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say a bunch of those potential millionaires got wiped out when expediting collapsed the last time. But, there is still a few of the long timers out there. I would say the majority have moved to something else, went broke, or several that we personally know, have retired or currently own a competing expedite company. Keep in mind that you are looking at almost 10 years ago or so.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Moot,

I am talking about the revolving owners.... they come in and run for 3-6 weeks decide expedite not for them and Pnther never sees the qc's again.

Leo in your conversation with QC did they say how much they charge for the units themselves? real curious.

-charlotte

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
There is a huge price break on larger fleets, as I mentioned. I think with Panther and especially FedEx, the prices are negotiated.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
"In some cases, the equipment is owned by the company and cost them nothing except maintenance and replacement."

"Cost them nothing?". Not meaning to hammer your statement, although it is true you have replacement cost and mntnce, as you probably already know, depreciation is a line item expense on the balance sheet, usually spread over a period of 3 yrs on computer type equipment, with the idea the unit is worthless in three years although not always the case (in the event of theft by drivers taking flight, the entire amount s/b written off).

The question Charlotte has of initial cost of the unit should certainly be taken into consideration and needed to figure the rate of depreciation. Depreciation + mnthly usage fees + losses + mntnce + installation = true cost of a QC, i think we're getting a bargain. Also, this doesn't include the initial outlay to purchase.

I realize $35/wk can add up, but most of us spend that and more on unnecessary indulgences every week, am i right?

I'm proud to be
a Panther team driver

Go Panther!

;)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
QC $35 per week is certainly making someones life easier, and, is paying for some "things" besides service.

Phil: $2.50 is not uncommon today. And more, however, you can't get there at 58% or whatever. Where are the millionairs? Many ##### it away, when they got hoodad rich, and couldn't keep on keep'in on. It was way too easy to "be a contractor" instead of a means to an end. Pretty simple. I'e watched them do just that over the years. Couldn't handle the success.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't recall what the purchase price was but I think it was around $1k per system new. They sell on ebay for a few hundred dollars I believe. I don't consider paying almost 3 times the actual bill a bargain, especially when there's no end to it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Col said:
Waitaminute Ark. Are you typing that if ya gotta absolutely hafta, gotta be home for some agenda, (birthday party, football party, race your car, pay the rent, etc.) that you'd dead head a few hundred rather than load a fuel plus a few bucks load?

col,
I personnaly don't consider any of the above reasons important enough to just have to be home. Whoever is having a birthday should understand what you do for a living, and not be upset. Well at least if they care anything about you. Give them their present the next time you get home. A football party or game is really not worth it. Make a call and say hey guys sorry I had to miss the game hopefully I'll be there for the next one. Racing your car is even less important. When it comes to paying the rent if you have your wife with you you should at least be able to have your mother or sister or someone you can trust on your checking account so they can cut a check from your account to give the landlord. Once you take 1 cheap run the company will know you will run cheap and will be looking for you to repeat. That's why I'd only do it in an emergency, and if it's that big of an emergency I'll most likely need to deadhead instead of wasting time waiting on a load. Some of the things I hear drivers say they just have to be home for doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The only holiday I didn't spend out last year was christmas. I made it home for my anniversy. Actually I got home at about 1:45 and we had gotten married at 2:00 a year earlier and she jumped in the truck with me. SO we spent the last park of our 1st anniversy in the truck headed towards california and ate our anniversy dinner in the bar-b-q joint n Royse City,TX. I think they call it fat man's or something like that.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thats refreshing. Point is..... you can't believe how trivial "important" things are to someone. I personnaly read of a fella dead heading from MA to OH to race his car last weekend. Makes little sense to me, but, i'll betca that same fella wouldn't even consider sacraficing that much (near, that much), to help a customer or, the company. To each their own ya know. One of the reasons your company may give a :censoredsign: about you. If they are fodder, so you be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The QC's at most carriers, the larger ones, anyway, like Panther and FedEx, have been bought and paid for many, many times over. Three years ago a complete new QC unit (bubble, screen, cables, connectors, complete) cost $1200. It's considerably cheaper now for the same OmniTracks. About $800 new from Qualcomm, or less than $400 off eBay.

The new OmniVision is a about two grand, a little more (as much as $2400) for an individual or a small fleet (but even that's coming down now), and considerably less for a larger fleet. Considerably.

A large fleet of more than 400 units is going to pay somewhere around $40 a month, flat, for Qualcomm services (it's not really a per-truck pricing, especially with larger fleets. It's done with fleet averaging, instead, but it works out to be about these numbers.) Fleets of more than 600 or 800 and it's gonna be in the $30 a month range. These numbers incorporate OmniVision units commingled with OmniTracks units.

There are additional charges attached to OmniVision, depending on what extra services the carrier may choose, like Maptuit navigation, WiFi Internet and e-mail services. The additional charges are surprisingly small, however. (Which begs the question as to why Qualcomm charges soooo friggin' much for SMS text messaging, which I do not participate in, BTW).

Incidentally, nearly two years ago Qualcomm ceased all pricing plans that charged by the character. All plans. Even the ones where dispatchers insist otherwise and tell you that your carrier still pays by the byte. Not only do they not charge by the byte any longer, they actually have considerably more bandwidth available for less cost than they used to (Ku-Band satellite, CDMA and AMPS. Plus 802.11 is available.), which is why they can offer things like GPS navigation and turn-by-turn directions, real-time GPS tracking instead of every 15 or 30 minutes or so, over-the-air software updates and feature additions, tons of other things.

Bottom line is, not including the new OmniVision units, the $35 weekly fee covers the roughly $10 a week that Qualcomm gets paid, and then some. Like, for example, a large fleet may have an incremental migration to the OmniVision units in, say, for example, big trucks and straight trucks, while at the same time having hundreds of cargo vans paying $25 a week over and above the services costs on already-paid-for equipment that can easily pay for the new OmniVision units as they come online.

In one year the $35 a cargo vans pays for their QC, they will have paid for the van's monthly services, as well as for the hardware costs of one new OmniVision. By the time all the big and straight trucks are OmniVision equipped, they will be poised to then pay for the new units that will gradually go into the cargo vans. By the time a vehicle in the fleet gets an OmniVision, it will be, for all intents and purposes, already paid for. 100 percent.

Go ahead and add up the Depreciation + mnthly usage fees + losses + mntnce + installation (installation we pay for up front, actually and then add in the initial cost of the unit, and no, we're not getting a bargain. Add in the quite literally free QC units that Panther received in the Con-Way NOW buyout and the numbers are even more wacko.

Somebody's getting a bargain, but it ain't us. Granted, there are losses, but they are minor and rare, and there are repair and administrative costs, but again, relatively speaking, very minor, especially in light of Qualcomm's 36 month warranty.

To keep it simple, figure 1000 trucks at $35 a week times 52 weeks and you're looking at more than $1.8 million in gross QC revenue. Even if they went out and bought 1000 brand new OmniVisions at $2000 each (way more than they actually pay for them), $1.8 mil will go a long way towards that, even removing the half million dollars in annual service fees on 1000 trucks, you're still left with a sizable chunk of cash to pay off the hardware, which would be paid in full within 18-24 months. The costs of equipment, usage fees, depreciation, maintenance, repair, all of it, and the net is, well, a bargain at half the price. :)

More trucks, bigger numbers, bigger bargains. It's all good, but it kills me that people think paying 3 times what something is worth is a good thing. A carrier's profit on the QC is sizable, and is part of a reported revenue stream. Dig into any publicly traded trucking company or the some of the reports that go to Qualcomm stockholders, and you'll see just how significant of a chunk of a carrier's bills are, in fact, being paid with these fees, or how much of it is simply added to the bottom line. Don't laugh. It's true. :p

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
Panther makes a fortune on qualcomm,and then when you leave they charge $250.00 to remove it,talk about highway robbery!Panther will continue to make a Profit as long as they keep the revolving shop door open,with a constant flow of vehicles.The more trucks they have the less leverage the contractor has,as they will not move on their rates to the contractor take it or leave it.The next guy will.When I quit in July there where 8 more vans being stickered,the more trucks Panther has the less profitable the contractor is period.I was with Panther for 3 1/2 years and the last year was the worst.

poison

Seasoned Expediter
thats what i was trying to say from the beginning don't bash panther for
not running,you have to put forth an effort yourself but what i was also saying from the beginning is if you don't have someone ie:truck owner/mentor. to teach you something that you don't know about,the only other way to learn it is by trial and error and hope to God you don't
fall on your financial a** in the process.

If a man speaks on the beach where no woman can hear is he still wrong?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think there is any question that they make money from them. If it was my choice, I would go to GPS phones or a host of other inexpensive technologies. That won't happen because the profit margins to the carrier would be much less. These simple systems would eliminate any real loss due to theft or damage.
But again, there is no financial incentive to do that. Expect QC's to be around for quite some time until a point is reached that the carriers don't profit.
If I had my way, I would throw every one of them away.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
THIS IS TOO MUCH......YA KNOW, 15 OF US DRIVERS OUT HERE COULD BE PARKED IN A TRUCKSTOP AND SEE WITH OUR OWN EYES, THE CATS TAKE A DUMP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PARKING LOT ....

DAVE AND CHARLOTTE WOULD SWEAR UP AND DOWN THE PANTHERS DIDN'T DO IT!!! DEFEND THEM TO NO END!! WOULD SWEAR THE FACT THEY KNOW THE PANTHERS GO TO THE RESTROOM!! LMAO

:7

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think you see me defending the use of QC's whether Panther or anyone else. Read my last post.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would also like to go to a GPS equipped phone. The expense to me would be half what I'm paying in majorly inflated QC charges and I'd have a useful piece of equipment. As stated, with the company making about $100 per month profit off our fees that isn't going to change.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
I like the QC....I like what it does for me as a fleet owner....I am not complaining about the charges and I pay it 14x. I wish everything were free but its not......the fuel companies make moeny off me, insurance companies, truck manuafacturers....ANYONE I LEASE ONTO will make money SOMEWHERE off me. I call it a cost of dong business until I hang the shingle out for myself and make all the deals myself, i will continue to pay for what I like to run my business. And yes, the CAT has done right by many people so I suspect not just myself or Dave defends them.

-charlotte

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to agree with Charlotte. We do very well with them for how we operate. I like the people I deal with there, so I am going to defend those issues. Nothing complicated.
Do I like every single thing? Of course not. They have their moments of aggravation like anywhere else.
If that changes, then I will go back and operate under my own authority.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator