Carrier cutting rates

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably depends on their contract. They have van drivers that have been there for awhile at the .85 cent rate plus fsc. Same with straight trucks and rates. The lowest I think they have is 1.25plus fsc. Some are much higher. With regards to Panther, some hear one rate and think that is the whole fleet. Not the case.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Would that be ALL miles ? Loaded and empty ?
If not,typically how does the deadhead program work ?

Fedex's plan is very simple. Add $1 per mile to FSC and multiply by all dispatched miles. Clean and simple. I believe $1.32 ALL miles now.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If a team can do hazmat, rate should be 1.30 plus FSC which is high thirties to low forties right now. With an occassional luzer thrown in there that would be in the twenties. Deadhead is from the point of dispatch and that is .41 this week. Empty moves or relocation to another board would be .39. Basically fuel money. Add 05 a mile for a liftgate and .30 per mile on a government load.
Some loads and plans pay above that but that is the basics.
Reefers have a couple of different pay plans.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
first of all when did they have a 3250 lb sprinter rule?....Used to be 2,000LBs was sprinter rate...when I was there almost 3 years ago....and since almost NO sprinter single wheel can haul 3250 legally and E1 does require a scale ticket...

OK smart guy! I've been there longer than you've been gone. EVERY 6 wheeler sprinter can haul more than 3,250 and, in fact, there are 6 wheeler sprinters. And my new Ford XLT10 can carry more than 4,000 lbs. legally. You are correct when you state the SPRINTER RATE WAS $1.00 per mile, now $0.80, HOWEVER you are WRONG about more than 3,250 lbs. (or 4 skids) WHICH WAS PAID @ $1.20 per mile, now $0.80. Did you ever read your contract rates???

This is why I built the XLT10, to take advantage of capabilities/rates that guys like you couldn't, all while staying exempt from the feds HOS rules/logging.

I know you love 4 wheeler sprinters but TRY to think out of the box! The new Ford Transit 4 wheeler has a 9,600 lb. GVW and weighs LESS THAN 5,000 lbs EMPTY! Sprinters are going to be outclassed badly in less than a year!

Try to update, man!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK smart guy! I've been there longer than you've been gone. EVERY 6 wheeler sprinter can haul more than 3,250 and, in fact, there are 6 wheeler sprinters. And my new Ford XLT10 can carry more than 4,000 lbs. legally. You are correct when you state the SPRINTER RATE WAS $1.00 per mile, now $0.80, HOWEVER you are WRONG about more than 3,250 lbs. (or 4 skids) WHICH WAS PAID @ $1.20 per mile, now $0.80. Did you ever read your contract rates???

This is why I built the XLT10, to take advantage of capabilities/rates that guys like you couldn't, all while staying exempt from the feds HOS rules/logging.

I know you love 4 wheeler sprinters but TRY to think out of the box! The new Ford Transit 4 wheeler has a 9,600 lb. GVW and weighs LESS THAN 5,000 lbs EMPTY! Sprinters are going to be outclassed badly in less than a year!

Try to update, man!

smart guy...see my post...I specifically said single wheel sprinter...and I am just yanking your chain....:)

BTW why read beyond my $1.00? the 3250 would never apply to me...

and frankly I don't give a darn what any future van can do...this one is it...I am done...yeeeehaw!!

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably depends on their contract. They have van drivers that have been there for awhile at the .85 cent rate plus fsc. Same with straight trucks and rates. The lowest I think they have is 1.25plus fsc. Some are much higher. With regards to Panther, some hear one rate and think that is the whole fleet. Not the case.

Few years ago I ran into a Panther van driver and I believe he said he was like in the .90 cent range...maybe he was pulling my leg...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thanks,Dave. Of course Fedex bumps pay for liftgate loads,hazmat,etc.
I don't know the particulars as nobody I know has given up the % program to go to the flat rate program.
The point is I think there is reason to leave E-1 as there are better deals out there.
Of course, there are probably good reasons to stay.
I stayed at a carrier longer than I should because of a stupid set of door signs.
My first new truck, 1988 Met Blue Pete.
Spent $400 on beautiful door signs. I wanted to change carriers but those darn doors looked sooo good. I put off the change for weeks.

Aww,too be young and dumb....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Few years ago I ran into a Panther van driver and I believe he said he was like in the .90 cent range...maybe he was pulling my leg...

He could be if he is at the lowest base rate and on the structured FSC. Not all vans would be at that number.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It changes weekly based on the DOE. Probably similar to what the Fed has. Others without it, the FSC is based on that individual load.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
$1.25 a gallon is the base...subtract from DOE weekly average and divide by I think its 15 mpg for vans..= FSC

example...4.00 -1.25 = 3.75 divide by 15 = .25 would be the FSC

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
$1.25 a gallon is the base...subtract from DOE weekly average and divide by I think its 15 mpg for vans..= FSC

E1 did use the Mid west average which is the 2nd lowest in the country where Fedex uses the National average....

also E1 rounds off to the next LOWEST whole number...so if the FSC is say .259 you'd get .25...they keep the .009 cents in essence you never get 100% of the FSC

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

I think I've found your problem- Canadian Math! "4.00 - 1.25 = 3.75"???????

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with what everyones saying and this is just my thought. I think E1 is looking at the overall market and thinking as slow as it is right now no one will leave because nobody else is offering enough more to justify a move. Also it's just a couple of weeks before the start of the second quarter and they are looking at freight increases which will get most running again. As was stated in an earlier post a lot don't know how much it costs to run per mile and live check to check, so if their running then they are somewhat happier. If that's possible. I don't know what they are running for Sprinter and Maxx rates but if it's anything like 70c a mile than they are crazy.

I took Jan off. Feb however, was my best Feb. It was anything but slow, first time ever I went oos to get rest while on the road. This was at the old rate. March...lol with new rate, seems I can not get a load over 300 miles. With the thought of "more miles", can not live on 500 a week.
This week would've been the same, if it were not for another E-1 driver give me his load south. He wanted one north. He gave me his phone, I talked with dispatch and got myself a whole 208 miler. I showed them, I took back roads and got there at 196 miles. No, I'm not giving it back.

It was hard to look back there and see 55" tall skid @.85 per mile. Here's the sales pitch, It was not as hard to look back there a see two boxes at 20 lbs.... .85 per mile. And I'm unhappy?????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Waaaay back in sprinter life , E-1 was 1 of a very few that paid a premium for a sprinter, that is why I chose them primarily in the beginning...E1 sales did a great job of promoting and selling the sprinter to their customers.
Panther and Fedex all they would claim is, my bonus, would be I'd jump the order and go to the top if the chance came up...fast forward in time...high and long are real common now taking away that advantage.