Carrier cutting rates

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam and Speedwagan, your exactly right! I wonder how many drivers even know their true cost-per-mile to operate. Probably not many, especially ones driving for an owner. When we drove we were lucky and had an excellent owner. He took very good care of us with quality, safe trucks. But we also kept track of what we were doing also. Tried very hard not to take any 'bad' loads, didn't deadhead all over the place, took good care of his equipment. Just can't believe that people are taking loads as cheap as they are and expecting to make any money. If we had been offered a load for $1.25 a mile we had to think really hard before accepting it, and that was 10 yrs ago!

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I don't see any exodus of straight trucks from E1. Almost all if not all companies are putting on straight trucks, so I would think that if E1 people don't like this, they would just go somewhere else. But they must like it. "Drive more, make less."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see any exodus of straight trucks from E1. Almost all if not all companies are putting on straight trucks, so I would think that if E1 people don't like this, they would just go somewhere else. But they must like it. "Drive more, make less."

Where they going to go?....expensive deal to move a truck for a few cents...

$1.12 plus FSC + DH pay....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think Fedex is $1 plus FSC.
Like $1.32 all miles.
Thats ALL miles.

There's no reason to run that cheap,either.

Add hazmat,a gate,DOD,etc and earn more.

$1.32 is Fedex's version of RUN MORE/ MAKE LESS.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Starting the drum roll in anticipation of any forthcoming news.....boom da boom da boom!

Now, don't go reading stuff that is not there. I'm back to running silent, taking loads out from under some folks.... Gotta make up the short fall. Hole in the road gang is back on it! :cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We'e talking fleet owners, Dave. It could be two or three weeks before they even open them up to tote them to the bank.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
After 5 days of the new cheaper rates, I have to report NOT running more miles but definitely MAKING LESS. I'm out more than $200 so far this week alone!:mad:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how many will be suckered into thinking they are getting more miles simply because their miles increased in March vs February.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
$200 doesn't seem bad, particularly when it's 's someone else's $200.
Unfortunately,for those that can work a calculator, that's $866 per month and over $10,000 per year.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Keeping in mind the truck gets "paid" the same $0.40 a mile, that' a 25% (approximately) reduction in pay to the driver!