Carrier Appearal Question; Removing Old Logos

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
I am always wondering about the psycological implications of a uniform, or the need to create one, in an environment where none is required? Not picking on you, but is part of the reason you feel the need due to the absence of the over regulated atmosphere you just exited? You started something new why bring your old mindset with you? I think its wonderful to try new approaches even with something as small as how to dress.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
There is a tag or should be of who made the jacket, either call them to see how to remove the patch or item off of it or ask them to buy a replacement jacker without the logo on it.

The one I have, which I wear on occasion, has the logo silk screened onto the jacket and there is no way it can be removed without ruining the fabric.

Oh and you can always buy one of those nice Delta jackets (which is better than the FedEx stuff anyway) and have the LS logo put on there - it looks much better.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Phil,
There is a tag or should be of who made the jacket, either call them to see how to remove the patch or item off of it or ask them to buy a replacement jacker without the logo on it.

The one I have, which I wear on occasion, has the logo silk screened onto the jacket and there is no way it can be removed without ruining the fabric.

Oh and you can always buy one of those nice Delta jackets (which is better than the FedEx stuff anyway) and have the LS logo put on there - it looks much better.

I'll quote this as I think he has you blocked. :p

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
a nice big scene to try to cover up the logo-I like the jackets but never bought one-felt like I would belong on the tarmac bringing in the planes- .hope you find a solution

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Phil

We had a patch put over the FedEx jackets we have. I do agree with you the jackets are to nice to throw away. We put a USA flag over the FedEx logo. I use the old shirts to wear when working on our trucks. You should have saved yours Phil for when your working on your truck doing things. I know you like to get out and do some repairs yourself.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I will say those jackets are wonderful. I wore one while we were in St. Louis at the Fed Ex hub and were out getting a tour of a cargo jet that was preparing to fly. If I could find a place to order that specific jacket without logos I would. I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am always wondering about the psycological implications of a uniform, or the need to create one, in an environment where none is required? Not picking on you, but is part of the reason you feel the need due to the absence of the over regulated atmosphere you just exited? You started something new why bring your old mindset with you? I think its wonderful to try new approaches even with something as small as how to dress.

I try not to wonder about the psychological implications of what other people do because it is not a productive activity. I spend a great deal of time observing and thinking about other people's deeds (not thoughts or mindset) because by doing that I can learn what works and what does not work.

To explain; I observe that expediter teams who haul 12 loads a month tend to make more money than those who haul 6 loads a month. If my interest is in making money and I wish to emulate those who make more of it, I do not need to know why teams do what they do or how they feel about it, I need only haul more loads a month, not fewer.

At FedEx Custom Critical, Diane and I wore the company uniform with pride at every pick up and delivery. We experienced first hand the positive difference it made at the loading docks. Not wanting to leave those advantages behind, we created a uniform when we found none made available by our new carrier.

Let me give you an example. At one of our very first Landstar pick ups, we pulled into the shipper's lot and found another Landstar truck already there. The driver came to greet us and we chatted while waiting for the company to open.

At 8:00 a.m. the three of us went inside and entered a six-dock loading dock area from which we could see the warehouse and offices. No one was there at first but after a few minutes the loading dock crew arrived for work. Seeing the three of us, the loading dock supervisor approached, making eye contact and starting the conversation not with the other driver who looked like most other truck drivers out there, but with me, the uniformed Landstar driver.

It's a small difference but one that has translated into numerous advantages at numerous pick ups and deliveries over the years. More often than not (not always, but more often than not) uniformed drivers get noticed more quickly and treated with more respect than those not in uniform.

I have worked in a wide range of jobs and careers, ranging from a U.S. Army officer to a section laborer on a railroad crew (gandy dancer) to a stockbroker. A uniform was required in the Army and I wore mine well. I felt no need to wear anything other than work clothes when pounding spikes on the railroad because sales and marketing were not part of the job. As a stockbroker I wore the uniform of the day because my clients, peers and broker-dealer expected to see stockbrokers in expensive business suits and ties.

At Landstar, sales and marketing is part of the job. Having experienced first hand the sales and marketing advantages of wearing a FedEx uniform, and knowing well how to dress for success (there is a book by that title), it was a natural choice to create a Landstar uniform when none was otherwise available.

You may not agree that there are sales and marketing advantages to be gained by wearing a uniform at Landstar and that's fine. One of the things that makes Landstar great is the freedom BCOs have to chart our respective courses and run our business as we see fit.

I have no doubt that that there are hundreds of Landstar BCOs who appreciate the fact that they no longer have to wear the uniform they were once required to wear by whatever carrier they left. It is one of the benefits they see at Landstar. It is a plus to them that they don't' have to wear a uniform. It is a plus to Diane and me that we can wear a uniform if we wish.

As I said, I try not to wonder about the psychosocial implications of what other people do because it is not a productive activity. But since you are given to such wondering, I invite you to wonder about this.

What is it about uniforms that prompt people to have conversations like this? Drivers do not talk about apparel when a bunch of them are standing around and some are wearing boots and some are wearing shoes, and some are wearing blue jeans and some are wearing shorts, and some are wearing T-shirts and some are wearing shirts with collars. But put two drivers in that same group in a uniform, it will commonly happen that one of the non-uniformed drivers will bring the conversational topic around to why uniforms should not be worn.

What's up with that?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The easiest thing to do is return the jackets to Fedex like you're supposed to and buy a decent low cost one at Costco, Target or Walmart. When I left Fedex ions ago, I had to return everything, including the jackets.

The jackets and other apparel are not company property, they charge you a price which includes their profit on every piece of clothing. You can not return them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The easiest thing to do is return the jackets to Fedex like you're supposed to...

Those jackets are ours to do with as we please. We bought them. They belong to us. No contract provisions to the contrary exist.

Camper

Not a Member
The jackets and other apparel are not company property, they charge you a price which includes their profit on every piece of clothing. You can not return them.

OK. Yeah, when I worked for them, many moons ago, the uniforms were company-issued and they had to be returned upon separation.

Camper

Not a Member
Those jackets are ours to do with as we please. We bought them. They belong to us. No contract provisions to the contrary exist.

I stand corrected. When I worked with them in the 90s, the jackets were company-issued. Hence the confusion.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Well Ateam I will allow that you feel that there is some benifit to wearing your uniforms, hey, do what you like if it makes you happy.

However If you feel that somehow wearing a makeup uniform in any way equates to sales and marketing I have to say, I simply dont buy it. Sales and marketing is what the 1500 brokers are doing.. thats what their percentage is for. You want to become a broker, do so. I think its dillusionasional to think that you standing around in your spiffys effects anything, the price and service are the principle driving forces acting on the industry.

Lastly I have to say that I have found that generally dock workers are more receptive to people who are more like them. Kind words and emphathy go a long way. I know I worked the docks. Usually the guys on the docks are average joes just trying to get thru the day. Be nice, his day probably sucked as bad as your day. :)

I appreciate your right to your perspective, however don't confuse it with gospel by any means. I really dont understand why you dont get your own authority, if you want to sell yourself as a product, at least get paid to do it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well Ateam I will allow that you feel that there is some benifit to wearing your uniforms, hey, do what you like if it makes you happy.

However If you feel that somehow wearing a makeup uniform in any way equates to sales and marketing I have to say, I simply dont buy it. Sales and marketing is what the 1500 brokers are doing.. thats what their percentage is for. You want to become a broker, do so. I think its dillusionasional to think that you standing around in your spiffys effects anything, the price and service are the principle driving forces acting on the industry.

Lastly I have to say that I have found that generally dock workers are more receptive to people who are more like them. Kind words and emphathy go a long way. I know I worked the docks. Usually the guys on the docks are average joes just trying to get thru the day. Be nice, his day probably sucked as bad as your day. :)

This is one of the most condescending posts I have seen on EO in a long time. I don't have to explain myself to you or any other BCO at Landstar.

Until you came along, every BCO that I have met or communicated with online has been nothing but helpful and welcoming. You are altogether different. I don't know you and based on your posts, I'm not sure I want to.

I really dont understand why you dont get your own authority, if you want to sell yourself as a product, at least get paid to do it.

Why do you feel the need to understand me at all? Let's talk about psychological implications for a moment, shall we? What makes you so interested in and critical of my business? What inside you is going on that makes me the focus of your attention? What psychological payoff do you get by picking at my words and deeds as you do?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank God I'm at Wal-Mart. I'm out of popcorn.

Sorry, usafk9, the show is over. My response above concludes this line of dialogue, at least from this side.

In an hour, Diane and I will be in an RV park near San Diego. We have not have had a true break since February. We're out of service until Monday at least. Diane just got back into the truck with steaks from the grocery store. We are renting a car to visit some of San Diego's attractions. We're taking a proper mini vacation and I'm not going to mess it up by thinking about or putting energy into pot shots from an unknown poster (or known one for that matter) on EO.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Steaks sound great.

The solution to your apparel problem is applique. The field required to cover that logo is much too large for just embroidery. Not saying that just embroidery alone, but embroidered are paid by stitch count.....it would cost a small fortune.

Regarding the applique, I would either ask LS if they have a contract embroiderer, or to provide you an indemnification letter. Any embroiderer worth their salt should ask you for one.

Lastly, for what it's worth, Myrian and I also wear uniforms...every day we're working.

Enjoy the beef.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, usafk9, the show is over. My response above concludes this line of dialogue, at least from this side.

In an hour, Diane and I will be in an RV park near San Diego. We have not have had a true break since February. We're out of service until Monday at least. Diane just got back into the truck with steaks from the grocery store. We are renting a car to visit some of San Diego's attractions. We're taking a proper mini vacation and I'm not going to mess it up by thinking about or putting energy into pot shots from an unknown poster (or known one for that matter) on EO.

San Diego is a great place to get some time off, I visited my brother at Camp Pendelton and he already knew the area so we got to check out some cool things including a house that was used in Top Gun and of course the ocean.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think a vacation is the best thing Phil. I don't see anything in jdevidts post that is condescending. He simply has a different opinion and experiences than you.
So what?
Like a couple of others, "stop trying so hard to be offended".
Quote stolen from JJ.