cargovan class 2014 would you go?

noneya

Active Expediter
I have different feelings than most on this. Why encourage people to come into a part of expediting that is already over saturated? So they can sit for days in a wall mart or truckstop parking lot? Straight truck training, yes. But not vans. There are already too many out here as it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

My sentiments exactly.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have different feelings than most on this. Why encourage people to come into a part of expediting that is already over saturated? So they can sit for days in a wall mart or truckstop parking lot? Straight truck training, yes. But not vans. There are already too many out here as it is.

Can't argue too much with that. I'd still want to attend if possible in case I could learn something new but there is some wisdom in the thought of discouraging more from entering a fully saturated segment.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

If people are attending the class then that means they are already interested in entering the industry, a small dose of reality may discourage them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
If people are attending the class then that means they are already interested in entering the industry, a small dose of reality may discourage them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Actually, along with reality should come truth. That alone should be enough to discourage them. Years ago, yes. But not now.too volitile of an industry. I do not see how any one can support a family or maintain a comfortable home life while doing this anymore. Sorry if I sound so negative, but reality needs to be known as well. I was offered a recruiting position years ago. Besides not believing in that company, I didn't want the blood on my hands of peoples hopes and dreams crushed by this industry.so sad but true.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Would any of you want to put someone in a straight truck and expect them to do well when they hane no over the road experience.... a $220k truck loan is not something I want any one to start out with

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Would any of you want to put someone in a straight truck and expect them to do well when they hane no over the road experience.... a $220k truck loan is not something I want any one to start out with

That is exactly how I started. No over the road experience. My owner road with me for a month or so, then my wife and I took it on our own. He helped and coached us but NEVER told us what to do. He allowed us to learn on our own and let us run our business. We are still friends.

I would never suggest starting out with a $220,000 loan.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter

$220k, not everyone start at the top! My first truck was a 96 ford l8000 for $3500, drove it over 2 yrs and sold it for $5k. It was a great truck that I truly miss, but it put me on this 05 M2. Just climbing up the food chain.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

guido4475

Not a Member
$220k, not everyone start at the top! My first truck was a 96 ford l8000 for $3500, drove it over 2 yrs and sold it for $5k. It was a great truck that I truly miss, but it put me on this 05 M2. Just climbing up the food chain.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I had a 97 L-8000. I loved that truck more than life itself. But God took care of that..without going into details, it was totaled..only accident I have had since 89. A lesson well learned..but I did manage to get what I bought it for from the insurance Co because they couldn't find another one anywhere with a 315" wheelbase.with an Allison..

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
2014 maybe if the economy has caught up, but this year since Jenny taking a break I think we need to give the c/van recruiting a break. With unemployment high throughout the country it's just to easy to get into expediting with c/vans and it reflects on the rates as well as service.

Actually, if done right, and with real and up-to-date facts about the current state of the industry as it applies to expediting with c/v's and Sprinters, this sort of class should include those aspects that are just as likely to discourage people from becoming van expediters as it would encourage.

I mean actual facts as to over-abundance of vans and sprinters, how many new non-asset-based "logistic companies" are there trying to grab a piece of the action before drivers are paid, what realistic expectations can be for rates and time spent sitting and repair cost per type of vehicle, and on and on, all based on the last couple years real figures. State of the industry as it stands today, not what it should be or could be.

If it is a class designed to present only how to get into van expediting with best-case scenarios, I personally would not be interested.

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Straight trucks and cargo vans are apples to oranges. Straight truck you actually have to work to get into unlike a van where no cdl/experience is required. Panther orientation the 2 times I was in it was flooded with van guys who thought they could succeed and they all talked about owning a fleet of vans later. I will bet none from either of my classes are still there let alone in a van.

Straight truck class sure but why would anyone need a class on how to drive a mini van? Soccer moms do it everyday. Lol

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Not to derail the thread, but as it does pertain to info that should be included in any class offering about getting into CV/Sprinter Expediting, I offer the following.

No we got to many of those running now in box/cubes dropping rates.

Actually, there are a lot of drivers in vans and Sprinters doing the same...even for some of the larger carriers and in decent vehicles. More in what I call rat vans, even for bigger carriers.

I saw a Sprinter the other day in Fargo flying colors on the doors for a larger carrier who covered both door decals with a blank white sheet magnet, because he caught a cheap run out. He wasn't at the J more than an hour. That, while me (CV) and several others, including three yellow cubes, sat for better paying runs. I followed his azz to see if he was actually on a run or what, and he went right to where I have picked up three times in the past, snatching a run that had been offered to both me and at least one of the cubes. You can bet if that Sprinter driver was able to grab that run that fast he did it for way cheap and is probably doing it more often than we think. I'd bet money he went OOS with his carrier (who, though I"m not sure, most likely does not allow their drivers to run for others) to grab it instead of sitting the rest of the day.

Some of those yellow cube guys actually get pretty good money. More than I typically get with my CV. I've seen the travel order emails and rates for one guy, and he said where they save is that their dispatch often adds very little on top of what the driver gets. They buy a lot of the 05-07 used Penske cubes, because they are door stickered for under 10,001, even with dualies. In '08, he told me, the dualies started having higher GVW. They get the trucks for anywhere from $5,000 - $10,000, typically get 10mpg, often have 16' of cargo space, even after building a sleeper (sealed off from the cargo area) with access from the cab. You can't blame them, really, for going for it. Penske trucks, while run by Penske at least, are most always expertly maintained with great service records.

Every single one of the drivers that I have met from Russia has been a really nice guy, with questions as to how to do better and what I like about my diesel, why I run a CV instead of ST, etc. They're just as miffed about those that undercut their rates as the rest of us are. They do know there are eastern Europeans who run logistic operations out of their homes, that take advantage of young European guys right off the boat, and those I've met have a dislike for the Indian and Paki drivers, but every one of the Russian drivers I've met so far seems hard working, sincere, with an honest interest in how to move up so as to better care for their family.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
One thing I would like to say is when we did the class we covered all types of vans. We also were up front and brutally honest with people. I never hid the fact that there were times that things were extremely rough for us and that getting into a van is an easy way to start, but also an easy way to lose a lot of what you have. We were geared towards new people or people who needed to step back and re-evaluate where they were in their business plan.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

TropixBum

Active Expediter
well I have been thinking if I did a CARGOVAN/SPRINTER introduction class would you come even if it was done at 8am? this would be done at the 2014 expediteronline expo.

OK, so what's the verdict? Is there going to be a CV/Sprinter workshop/class or not? Would it be on Friday or Saturday? Questions & Questions. I think it would be rather interesting. :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I would rather there be a basic van class teaching stuff like gvw and load straps as well as what jenny and nick did....