cargoMAXX

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone seen one of these? Who manufactures it? Is it available on a Chevy/GMC and/or Ford chassis? I saw some on a car lot in Georgia yesterday while I was heading north on 95. Just curious.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw the announcement in the Expo advertisement. I was just attempting to get a little info ahead of time. I was in expediting some time back, (had a cargo van on with Panther), and I'm looking at getting back into the business. I plan on attending the expo to talk with some of the carriers and start gathering information.

Thanks for you response!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh that is what it is.... wondered who made it.

The attached photo is one sitting on the lot for $46k (may be less now). Can't see spending that amount unless I go to a sprinter.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only advantage I can see when compared to a sprinter is maintenance costs. You still have a van drivers area although taller in the CM does not have near the room of a sprinter. It still will not touch a sprinter in fuel mileage. Others might see some things but I am not sure what would make it very appealing, seems like about the same old top added to a van that has always been around except for the back and side door adjustments.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vision does a real nice job with their units. Hopefully they come out with a longer one, 15-16 ft behind the seats.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i don't think the vision folks can make a longer chassis. they work with the prod given to them from ford and gm. like the cargomaxx they cut the van in half and add a top. cargomaxx look like a unicell srw from the pic above.

neither ford nor gm make a longer cargo van. chassis yes for box trucks. for vans no. then you want an aerocell.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did a little more digging, this is NOT the van from Vision we have seen, this thing is BIG! From what I saw, this unit is as big as the biggest Sprinter.

It looks like it is a longer wheelbase than the long wheelbase vans from GM, and the body is all custom, not just a roof top.

I haven't seen it first hand, just some pictures but it sure looks different from what's on the market now.

It will be the first thing I look at at the Expo this year.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The attached photo is one sitting on the lot for $46k (may be less now). Can't see spending that amount unless I go to a sprinter.

I can't see spending that much either way. I exchanged emails with a Ford dealer and an Aerocell with 17' body was available for around $35k. That would give you far more cargo room and sleeper space. Payload would likely be less but on a cost/size basis it seems the Aerocell is way ahead.

cargomaxx

Seasoned Expediter
Take a look at the Cargomaxx at Welcome to our CFF Sales and Leasing Home Page these are the guys that are launching the van at the expedite expo 2009 in Wilmington, Ohio on July 24th. Expedite Expo 2009 : An On Time Media, LLC. Production This is entirely a new product that should compete with the sprinter and ford versions. It is available in both single and dual rear wheels and is already being placed into two divisions of FedEx to replace the sprinter. I am told they will have a single rear wheel version with sleeping quarters for expeditors and may have plans to give it away at the show. May wish to sign up for any drawing if this happens. This group will be coming out with the cargomaxx on a ford chassis later this year for those that want ford over chevy. The web site: cargomaxxvan.com is being build to promote this van and will be finished soon for review, maybe even by the end of next week.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Id like to know the measurement between the wheelwells of the dually..if a 48" pallet will go between them, i could see this as a nice piece...but even the single wheel would be an improvement.....

cargomaxx

Seasoned Expediter
Distance between wheel wells is 52.7 inches on both the single and dual rear wheel versions. Can be up fitted with roller bearings in floors or e-track.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
thanks for the info. id love to see all gm/ford chassis specs on these as well as the cargo area specs. with a 10,000 gvw chassis, the box design looks to be lighter then the other popular cut-away / hi-cubes i would think you might get 38-4000 lbs of cargo in there, legally.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
greg, is that the trk on alexis rd in toledo?

Opps, sorry Jack, yes it is. I looked at it a few times but wonder what the weight of the top is compared to an Aerocell. It looked top heavy to me but again I only took 30 pictures of the thing.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Looks interesting. Hope to see more pictures and vehicle specs in the near future.

I'm curious about the picture in this link. It shows a Chevy SRW van set up with front wheels that would be found on a DRW vehicle. Also the rear wheels look like duals, singled out.