Cargo Vanning in Sub-Zero Weather

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Those of you that have the sub zero sleeping bags can you tell me which ones, price and where you bought it. I'm sitting in Little Rock and thinking of buying one but all I find is the zero rated. I could buy online to save $ and have shipped home. eBay has some used for just over $100 military -30.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those of you that have the sub zero sleeping bags can you tell me which ones, price and where you bought it. I'm sitting in Little Rock and thinking of buying one but all I find is the zero rated. I could buy online to save $ and have shipped home. eBay has some used for just over $100 military -30.

You can probably get away with 2 sleeping bags for less than $100. I double up mine. The outer bag used to block the cold from penetrating; the inner bag is used to keep your body heat in. Walmart or Sporting goods stores should have them. Trust me, it works, as long as you ignore my profile picture, Lol.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I insulated the voids in the walls and ceiling with board foam and spray foam, then covered everything with Reflectix. I have a permanent bunk with a sleeping bag on top, but I usually open the bag and sleep uncovered. Once in a while I'll pull the flap over on top of me, but not very often. I don't wear a flight suit while sleeping, either. Last night it was 6° F outside and it was 77° F inside, and I only had the Espar turned up about half way.

Insulation and airflow are the keys to keeping warm. With my Espar I have an air duct on the cold air return stretched out to the rear of the van, and the heat output is split between the front and rear of the van with a "Y" duct connector. This keeps the air flowing throughout the entire van, reduces cold and hot spots, keeps the heat evenly dispersed.

Moisture is a problem with propane heaters in particular, but any time there is a temperature differential, moisture will condense on bare metal and windows. On a Sprinter, that roof slope above the headliner is a particularly good spot for condensation to form (same with any van above the headliner). If not insulated, water will drop onto the headliner and stain it, and it can even drip down on the dome light.

With my first van I slept on an air mattress on the floor. I found that one of those double-height twin mattresses from Walmart worked best. I used a Coleman D cell air pump with an AC adapter to inflate it. It was certainly easier to get into and out of bed with a higher bed, and it reduced the cold dramatically that was present with a single-height mattress. I had to replace the double-height mattress every 2 or 3 months, though, either because it would eventually get stretched out from being inflated and deflated daily (sometimes more than once a day) or from picking up a pallet splinter or something else that caused a hole. Nothing quite like going to bed on a full air mattress and then waking up in the middle of the night in a hammock like a half-folded pocket knife.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM mentions how well you think you're insulated when the temps are -30 to -40 below and the wind chill-- well, forget about the wind chill because you'll have more immediate worries at those temperatures.

For the moment, my van does have insulation but not really enough. 3/4" foam makes it alright probably to ten below with the Big Buddy on two burners, much below that and it's time to look for a Days Inn and keep the AAA card handy cause you're likely to need it.

I was reading of a town in Siberia where you don't shut off your engine all winter long-- because if you turn off your engine it won't restart until spring. That's cold. I forget the name of the place, but I sure don't forget that cold weather is hard on both man and machine.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I use a Lil buddy heater I insulated my van and put in a liner kit. The hardest place to insulate is the floor. I put a moving blanket on the floor when it's 20 degrees or less. My van stays over 60 degrees at - 20 and I never have it above low.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
My sleeping bag is actually a double wide "Grizzly" -40 degree bag. Paid about $140 bucks online. Love it! I was so tired last night I didn't setup any of my heat solutions and just climbed in my bag, covered myself up, i'm only 5'8", and went to sleep. It was around 10 degrees last night, didn't even zip the side of the bag, and never even had as much as a chil the whole night. Turned on my remote start 10-15 minutes before getting out of the bag and I comfortably got out of bag and back in the drivers seat. I may not use my heaters anymore unless it's an extended stay somewhere.

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
2000 watt generator. 1500 watt Sunbeam heater that I can select the temp, heated mattress pad, good comforter. Getting a mummy bag for Christmas. Remote start before I get out of the bunk. Lots of layers between me and the air mattress, which sits on a fold down bunk I built.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I gave up trying to figure it out. Bought the B4 Espar (gasoline fueled) this week. I figure I'll have time to install it between Christmas and New Years Day. Bought some accessories also like the digital thermostat, high altitude compensator, muffler and adjustable vent kits. Should do it for me!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My sleeping bag is actually a double wide "Grizzly" -40 degree bag. Paid about $140 bucks online. Love it! I was so tired last night I didn't setup any of my heat solutions and just climbed in my bag, covered myself up, i'm only 5'8", and went to sleep. It was around 10 degrees last night, didn't even zip the side of the bag, and never even had as much as a chil the whole night. Turned on my remote start 10-15 minutes before getting out of the bag and I comfortably got out of bag and back in the drivers seat. I may not use my heaters anymore unless it's an extended stay somewhere.

THAT sounds like a great bag!!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I gave up trying to figure it out. Bought the B4 Espar (gasoline fueled) this week. I figure I'll have time to install it between Christmas and New Years Day. Bought some accessories also like the digital thermostat, high altitude compensator, muffler and adjustable vent kits. Should do it for me!

As my 5 year old boy says every time there's a commercial on Nickelodeon "I WANT THAT!!"
I'll be following your install on this. Sounds like a great furnace for gas burners.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2000 watt generator. 1500 watt Sunbeam heater that I can select the temp, heated mattress pad, good comforter. Getting a mummy bag for Christmas. Remote start before I get out of the bunk. Lots of layers between me and the air mattress, which sits on a fold down bunk I built.

that and you are seldom north of Chicago where da real men live....LOL.....sunglasses.gif

guido4475

Not a Member

You will love it, as I love mine. Are you sure it isn't the B-4 model???? ....LMAO...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is what I bought off eBay.

Espar B4 Airtronic 12V Gas Heater - NEW IN BOX w/ EXTRAS

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter

I want this

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does cold make your brain dyslexic?
I have lived in Minnesota all my life, so there could be a link between cold and my brain functions.

My dyslexic ramble was in reply to Xiggi's post:
There are a lot of successful drivers out here using article bags. I prefer comfort but have been that route before.
When I read "article bags", I thought he was referring to a kit bag or toiletry bag to take into the shower. I re-read the entire thread thinking I had missed something. When I didn't find any reference to showers, I realized it was his auto-correct function run amok.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bill, keep us posted on the Espar installation and how it works for you.

As for sleeping bags; whether you drive a truck or a van, have an APU, Espar or Buddy heater, you should always travel with a decent sleeping bag in the winter.