cargo van weight limit?

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
To all you experienced people out there....

Potential GMC 2500 with 135 floor length. Figuring around the 2500 mark for load cap.

IF current company has no 3 skid requirement (checking on that today) would you consider making a permanent living quarters and dropping the weight to say....2300 for added comforts, while giving up the 3 skid cap?

Put differently, have you found a percentage, whereby 3 skids will usually exceed the 2500 anyway? If I lost a load a month, but gained the comfort, is it feasible? We've all hauled loads where it's not skids at all, but long items such as air wing flaps, long wood crates, etc.

Extended 3500 would not be a question as the cargo would be near 3,000...not 2500.

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If mine, as a 2500, I'd opt for "fold down" comfort over losing any possibility of that long load. But that's just me. I get greedy on occasion. I also have a wife, 2 kids, 2 cats, a dog & a hamster to feed. LOL!!

Reactions: vandriver2

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The E-250 came in 2 GVW's....7200 lbs the light 3/4 and 8600 the heavy duty 3/4...make sure you check the tag...it will appear as a GCVW which means Gross Combined Vehicle Weight..and you figure your "payload" or weight carrying capacity as described above....

Chef, it's nice to have you back on the forum:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To all you experienced people out there....

Potential GMC 2500 with 135 floor length. Figuring around the 2500 mark for load cap.

IF current company has no 3 skid requirement (checking on that today) would you consider making a permanent living quarters and dropping the weight to say....2300 for added comforts, while giving up the 3 skid cap?

Put differently, have you found a percentage, whereby 3 skids will usually exceed the 2500 anyway? If I lost a load a month, but gained the comfort, is it feasible? We've all hauled loads where it's not skids at all, but long items such as air wing flaps, long wood crates, etc.

Extended 3500 would not be a question as the cargo would be near 3,000...not 2500.

I've had 3 skids weighing 800 lbs and single skids that were 2500. I've also had single 2 ft long ones and single 120" inch long ones. I sometimes go three weeks without three skids and then suddenly haul four 3 skidders in a row. I'm with murry keep the entire length available is the route I go. 3 average skids the bed goes up 2 and it stays down. Most times your delivering direct anyway. If I do lose my bed for say a weekend I'm getting a room way past sleeping in the seat.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My "big load" last week was 155". Of course the two pieces were only 8" the other ways. But that also allowed 2 other loads on at the same time to drop direct while en route. Space is good. But of course weight capacity is too. But keep the cubes available. IMHO.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
xiggi;664549]I've had 3 skids weighing 800 lbs and single skids that were 2500. I've also had single 2 ft long ones and single 120" inch long ones. I sometimes go three weeks without three skids and then suddenly haul four 3 skidders in a row. I'm with murry keep the entire length available is the route I go. 3 average skids the bed goes up 2 and it stays down. Most times your delivering direct anyway. If I do lose my bed for say a weekend I'm getting a room way past sleeping in the seat.

Probably what I'll do, but just curious to the feedback. Funny how that works...the 3 skid loads kinda come in a little wave. Noticed that myself. With the height being a disadvantage, better stay with the three skids.

I set the TerraMax up, whereby the bed is split, folds up to both sides, with legs meeting in the middle with piano hinges. It's the exact same width as the cot sized air mattress that Coleman finally came out with, 27". Got a different design in mind, considering the wheel well difference in the GMC. Any rate, the bed must be yonder from the "door" to the back. Don't need to climb over it every time I go there.

Ditto on Hotel. Don't, can't, and won't, sleep in the seat.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
You do realize that you responded to an almost 4 year old post, don't ya.:eek:

Ya, leave it to me for bringing up the dead. Some good specifics in the ole archives.....so it was time to say a few geejahs, and bring em back to life.

Kabuki theater around here sometimes anyway.....:p

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get greedy on occasion. I also have a wife, 2 kids, 2 cats, a dog & a hamster to feed. LOL!!
Feed the hamster to the cats. Feed the cats to the dog. Sell the fat dog to the Asian restaurant down the street. Now you don't have to be so greedy and can survive hauling two skids.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Feed the hamster to the cats. Feed the cats to the dog. Sell the fat dog to the Asian restaurant down the street. Now you don't have to be so greedy and can survive hauling two skids.

Till his kids need 3 years of therapy 'cos Daddy murdered the pets :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app