Cargo Box Update

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
THE BOX IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks really good, I hope it works as advertised. It is back in the shop in Toledo getting the reefer hooked up and the TVAL probes etc down. We hope to be back in service no later than Jan 8th, with any luck we will be back up and running on the 5th. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pictures will follow a bit later. I don't want to get in the way of those working on getting the truck ready for TVAL testing. We are still hoping to get into FedEx for testing on the 29th, if not, we will make the Jan 5th date for sure. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you mean Air Tabs? I hope to later this year. I would love to now but money is soooooo
tight having been out of service for so long. I have talked with several who have them and they all love them. For the time being I will have to focus on the basics only. Oil changes etc. I will be building the shelving for my White Glove stuff on Friday or Sat. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Have you thought about not using shelving?

When acquiring equipment, our philosophy was: if we need it once, we will probably need it again, so buy it. It has been a long time since we needed to buy anything new, but the approach produced a larger collection of equipment than you see on most straight trucks. None of it is stored on shelves.

Shipping cases on wheels store the items we use less frequently. An open-top box sits on top of the shipping cases to store the frequently-used stuff. Furniture pads are folded, stacked and strapped onto a furniture dolly. For small jobs, four pads sit loose and handy on top of the stack. Straps are kept in plastic buckets that sit on the floor between the cases and pads. Load bars (E-track shoring beams) keep everything in place. The pallet jack, hand truck and tripod dolly sit out where we can get at them and are strapped to the walls.

There is more but that gives you a sense. The idea is to mount everything on wheels. The box is 16 feet long. If we get an odd-ball WG piece of freight that is 16 feet long but not too wide, we can move the gear to the sides in an instant. That generally does not happen since we are in a CR-unit and the offers are usually limited to 12 feet. If necessary, we can move all gear forward in a a couple minutes to provide 14 feet of full-width space for freight. Our carrier knows we have 14 feet of usable space.

The huge advantage of having your gear on wheels is cleaning. It is a piece of cake to move the gear aside or out of the truck to clean the back.

Storing furniture pads on wheels also makes it a breeze to wheel the pads inside a building if you need to pad wrap a number of pieces before moving them to the truck; or to wheel them into a landromat if you want to wash them.

Keeping permanent shelving out of the truck also makes it easy for technicians to get at the reefer components and plumbing if they need to.

Ours is a reefer truck. Reefers produce condensation. To help dry the truck after a reefer load, beams at the front of the truck create a 2" space between the front wall and the equipment. The equipment rests against the beams, not the wall. That and the wheels the equipment sits on provides good air flow over the top, bottom, front side and back side of the equipment.

Finally, with no shelving built into the truck, you save that weight.

I am not at my own computer now. When I get back to it, I will attach a photo of our no-shelf technique.

Shelving built into the front of the truck is a common technique that has served people well for many years. We went with no shelves for the reasons stated above.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is a very interesting method for storing your gear Phil. I would like to see a set of pics on it. Our shelfs can be moved. We use E-Track 2X4 sockets to hold them. On the odd chance we have a piece of freight that is over 19ft (only twice in 2 years) we just raise the shelfs up to a higher row of E-Track. We are going to re-use our exsisting shelfs, we are just going to have to cut them down a bit due to the smaller inside dementions of the new box. I do have a 2 inch space between the back of the shelfs and the wall to allow for air flow. Layoutshooter

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did a brief stint in the household goods biz. Most of the pads and skins were stacked and strapped to dollies and then strapped to the wall of the trailer. A piece of 3/4 inch plywood can be cut to increase the "base" of the dolly. This can keep the pads from hanging over the edge. It also allows for 2 milk crates to sit side by side and be stacked 2 or 3 high.

Like Phil said, simple to move about. Makes it easy to sweep the floor. Just remember to strap them to the wall.

moose

Veteran Expediter
1 - it was my understanding that a reefer trailer floor need to be made off them alloy beams , to allow air plow to the back when loaded ???
do you guys (WG) have a plywood floor ?

2 - do you have that large pad ,to be put behind the freight when loaded with only, let say ,one or 2 pallets ,there for saving on reefer fuel by not having to cool the whole box ?

3 - POI ,tractor supply (and others),sales dose 4 wheel dully that can be used as a rolling bed when horizontal .(i can get a link here if needed ) .

Moose.
Happy Chanoca !!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moose, I believe Ateam has a wood or wood composite floor. Not the aluminum channel floors you are thinking of that are common in trailers. While a channeled floor may help improve air flow, the channels also aid in draining blood, ice melt and condensation. Chutes are used from the reefer unit to increase air flow to the rear.

The dolly I mentioned and refer to in general terms as a mover's dolly or furniture dolly looks like this.

file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Greg/My Documents/My Pictures/dolly.ms

I am assuming this is also what Phil referred to in his post.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
White Glove requires a wood floor. Ours has the screw holes sealed and has two coats of polyurethane. I think you are asking about a "skinny bun". No, TVAL does not allow them to be used. I would have prefered a non-skid metal floor, so does TVAL. We talked with White Glove but they won't budge on that one. The reason is some explosive loads still block and brace to secure the freight. The funny thing is that most of those loads cannot be loaded onto a truck with a cargo heater unless it has been dis-conected and the fuel drained from the system. I won't allow any nails to be used in this floor and I won't be dis-conecting. If there were nail holes I would have to be filling them etc. TVAL prefers a smooth non-skid metal floor. They like it because they are easier to keep clean. The drug companies like them because they are less likely to have bacteria growth. Since I can't, for the most part, carry those explosive loads there was no real reason to have the wood. Just one of those things, old ideas die hard. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is the photo I promised in Reply 27.

AnExpediteLoad4.jpg

TruckFloor.jpg

The floor is treated with a product called Floor Restore. Apply one time, good for life. Screw holes and cracks between the planks are filled with Crack Filler made by the same company. The company is Key Polymer. The products are available at finer trailer shops near you. The products are expensive and it is a big job to prep and treat the floor.

These photos were taken when the truck was new. It still looks good in back but it is also somewhat the worse for wear. The yellow straps are not so bright any more. The walls and floor have some scars. The load bars are not as shiny as they were when they came out of the store.

Last edited:

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
Very Cool Phil! Thanks for posting that. It looks like you even have some room left for cargo! :D

I don't think I have ever seen that much E-Track in one box. Must make it real nice to have a tie-down everywhere you need it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you bring the photo into view and use your mouse wheel to move it rapidly up and down, you can simulate the truck driving over a bumpy road. Notice how all the equipment stays secured in place.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
If you bring the photo into view and use your mouse wheel to move it rapidly up and down, you can simulate the truck driving over a bumpy road. Notice how all the equipment stays secured in place.

Setting the little 100% down in the right hand corner to 125 or 150 and using the bottom slider gives you a rocking motion as well