Canada Canada Speed Limits, Are You Concerend?

Canada Speed Limits, What are you going to do?

• Will you take loads into Canada after July 1 when the law goes into effect?

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • What are you doing to comply with the new law?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • How much does it cost to have your ECM set?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Is their an option to have your ECM set going into Canda and reset coming back to USA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Packy

Seasoned Expediter
Canada Speed Limits, are you ready?

1. With the new speed limit laws going into effect July 1 for trucks entering into Canada, are you still going to accept loads going into Canada?

2. How many people have had their ECM turned back to 65 MPH to meet the new Canada requirement?

3. Would you go into Canada, if you could have your ECM set going into Canada and reset when coming back to USA?

4.Does anyone have any costs to get your ECM set to the new 65 MPH?

As a fleet owner we need help from our carrier to cover the cost of getting the ECM lowered to 65 when we enter Canada and removed when we get back into the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Canada Speed Limits, are you ready?

As far as I know the law went into effect a while ago, they have been enforcing it since June 1.

There have been many posts about the speed limiters, maybe you should read up on the posts, that might answer most of your 4 questioms.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Re: Canada Speed Limits, are you ready?

1. With the new speed limit laws going into effect July 1 for trucks entering into Canada, are you still going to accept loads going into Canada?

2. How many people have had their ECM turned back to 65 MPH to meet the new Canada requirement?

3. Would you go into Canada, if you could have your ECM set going into Canada and reset when coming back to USA?

4.Does anyone have any costs to get your ECM set to the new 65 MPH?

As a fleet owner we need help from our carrier to cover the cost of getting the ECM lowered to 65 when we enter Canada and removed when we get back into the US.

1. No

2. I don't know,but we have not.

3.Not if we have to pay for it.

4. There are a few posts on EO stating that it costs approx $48.00

I don't know of any carrier that will pay nearly $100.00 per trip to change your ECM.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
One reason that I am glad i'm a van no speed limiters here. Not to mention no passport neither ha ha! So no Canada for me! at least until I can get a load to fla so I can go to triple a and have my pic taken.:)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For us it would depend on what the load paid. Would consider it to go in and out, but have no interest in having the trucks castrated on a permanent basis.
We don't really do that much into Ontario and Quebec. The other provinces don't require it, so we still do those.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Re: Canada Speed Limits, Are You Concerned?

If canada sank and filled with water then I would be concerned. It would take a long time to find just the rite fishing spot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Canada Speed Limits, Are You Concerned?

If canada sank and filled with water then I would be concerned. It would take a long time to find just the rite fishing spot.

Hey now..that was my joke about the US....bunch of whiners ya all...:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey OVM,

The OPP said the law took effect in January with a grace period of 6 months but they were handing out tickets in May, is this a Canadian thing?

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
They pay for healthcare with the increase in beer prices!! Bought a 24 pack up here lately?
They were supposed to not start ticketing for speed limiters until this month but warnings could be handed out. Now if a driver gave the MOT or cops a hard time then I could see a ticket being given. They've also kept the price for fuel high so there is extra GST for the gov't to help pay for healthcare and the military costs.
Rob

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They pay for healthcare with the increase in beer prices!! Bought a 24 pack up here lately?
They were supposed to not start ticketing for speed limiters until this month but warnings could be handed out. Now if a driver gave the MOT or cops a hard time then I could see a ticket being given. They've also kept the price for fuel high so there is extra GST for the gov't to help pay for healthcare and the military costs.
Rob

Yeah, but what a great way to get an large influx of forgien currency!! LOL!!:D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Well, we won't be going to Canada anymore. Gonna miss it, is a beautiful place but not worth limiting the truck to 65 for U.S. loads as well. Don't do enough Canada to make it worth limiting it in the U.S. too. :(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No Canadian runs offered as yet, the truck has been castrated for a week now. The clock is ticking. :p

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had my truck speed regulated in early May. To date I have seen no increase in MPG with fuel. :mad: Having a top end speed of 65 MPH has taken some getting use to. I have been involved in at least a dozen situations where I have tried to pass other trucks, unsuccessfully. Not wanting to cause a rolling roadblock, something had to give. In each and every case, I have had to be the one to back down and eventually drift back into the right hand lane.

I have experienced this as well with “four wheelers”. I am slowly gaining ground on them in a 65 MPH zone. As I move out to pass them, they speed up and I cannot. I move back over into the right lane and they again slow down. I make a move to pass them and they again speed up. It is very frustrating. :confused: In the past I would have just accelerated up to about 70 MPH, successfully completed passing them and then back off to 65 again.

Obviously, we try to minimize lane changes as much as possible. These two scenarios contribute to just the opposite. And, I feel I am more restricted in my ability to take evasive action, which is a safety issue.

I have all of the necessary documents and credentials to go into Canada and complied with the speed limiters on my truck in hopes of getting more loads, as it is my understanding many others have elected not to have their trucks regulated. Since early May, I have made only 4 trips into Canada.

I will continue to evaluate the situation and hope that many more profitable loads into Canada do in fact come to fruition. However, if this is not the case, and should I continue to experience difficulties and challenges in passing, I will give serious consideration to removing the speed limiters on my truck when it is in the shop for inspection in September.

Then again, our northern neighbors may come to their senses, repeal this most questionable and unsafe requirement and make it all a moot issue. We can only hope! :)

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
ok here you go from a canadian driver from Ontario.The warning was put out for serveral months but it became an official law Jan 1.The maximum speed limit in ontario is 100 kilometers an hour for cars or trucks,there is no distinction in ontario.As of January first all Ontario registered trucks must be limited to 100km/h,but if you are not from Ontario just don't be caught going over 100km and you are cool! If a commercialtruck is going over 100 you are obviously breaking this regulation.In the end take the ticket or go to the DOT in ontario is called the MTO here is the link Ministry of Transportation / Ministère des Transports on the menu bar there is an option for trucks and buses go their.Moral of the story don't loose money just ease up on the throttle

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could have been more clear. I have not had problems passing in Canada since the speed limit is 60 and the truck can go 65. All of my difficulties in passing have been in the US.

However, our carrier has told us repeatedly, that all trucks must be governed by speed limiters in order to travel into Ontario or Quebec, regardless of from where they are domiciled. Therefore, it is not simply a matter of easing up a little and not exceeding the posted speed limit in Ontario and Quebec.

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
thankyou mygia after visiting the website for the MTO to clear up details you are correct,the rule is if you operate a cmv in ontario not just if it is registered in ontario.Just some advise though if you are heading east and west you run into a fair amount of mto stations and in summer they are open.If you go north of Hwy 9 10mins out of Toronto good luck finding an MTO station for hours and thats if its open.you half to be spot checked to be caught because they do have computers that will tell them if you are speed limited.If you don't give them a reason to stop you then USUALLY you are o k.if you only go to ontario once in a while and the state your in doesn't require them then I would not go to the expense.Just another thing to stop the truck because the computer said so