Canada Canada Speed Limits, Are You Concerend?

Canada Speed Limits, What are you going to do?

• Will you take loads into Canada after July 1 when the law goes into effect?

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • What are you doing to comply with the new law?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • How much does it cost to have your ECM set?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Is their an option to have your ECM set going into Canda and reset coming back to USA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could have been more clear. I have not had problems passing in Canada since the speed limit is 60 and the truck can go 65. All of my difficulties in passing have been in the US.

However, our carrier has told us repeatedly, that all trucks must be governed by speed limiters in order to travel into Ontario or Quebec, regardless of from where they are domiciled. Therefore, it is not simply a matter of easing up a little and not exceeding the posted speed limit in Ontario and Quebec.

Actually the legal speed IS 100 KPH which translates into about 63 mph when you do the metric conversion

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Is it true? We were told there is some kind of device you can buy that you put on your truck when you cross into Canada you can set a limiter on your truck and then take it off when you come back into the U.S.

Is it true or is someone just yanking us.

If anyone knows about this and it is true let the rest of us in on what it is? I sure do want to keep going to Canada but I don't want to limit the truck to 65? :rolleyes:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it true? We were told there is some kind of device you can buy that you put on your truck when you cross into Canada you can set a limiter on your truck and then take it off when you come back into the U.S.

Is it true or is someone just yanking us.

If anyone knows about this and it is true let the rest of us in on what it is? I sure do want to keep going to Canada but I don't want to limit the truck to 65? :rolleyes:

All you need is a device to program your trucks ECM (the 'puter that runs the engine). Depending on what engine you have these programmers are available from a few places and can cost anywhere from 500 to 3000 dollars. Some can be found on e-bay. If your engine is older you might be able to find one there if a dealer or tech sells his to upgrade to the latest.

The "speed limiter" is NOT an add on device, every electronic engine has the technology built in and it's been this way for the last 15 years (at least).

There is also software you can buy for a laptop to set these parameters in your ECM, it generally ain't cheap, and you have to buy a "com box" device to translate what is coming out of your truck to something a laptop can understand.

If all you do is a few canada loads a year AND you don't want to have your own diagnostic device, buying these tools is not worth it. If you want to have one of these tools so you can check and clear your own fault codes and the like, it might be worth it.

To the poster earlier who said basically if you don't speed you'll get away with not setting your limiter.....beware. This is an easy money grab for the government at a time when they need all the money they can get. In addition to the fine you may be required to get it set before you leave the scalehouse (that is not in the law but who do you think will win the argument?).

There are other threads discussing some of the options available for these tools to set your ECM.

If you aren't doing a lot of Canada, it ain't worth it. If anyone feels the need to drive over 65 in the US then you have money to burn so you likely don't need the Canada loads anyway.

And for the record, the setting is 105 km/h or 65 MPH. You will not be assumed to be guilty of the speed limiter law unless you exceed 115 km/h or 72 MPH. You may still get a ticket for speeding and if the officer has the equipment he may check your settings, but the automatic guilt line is at 115k.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was right, I've been behind or passed by 2 Quebec plated trucks..both doing between 70-75 mph...they've jumped the system....:rolleyes: