can this truck be salvaged

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I live in southern IL and the floods came so fast when the levy broke that I didnt have time to bring in one of my drilling rigs.water was so high it was running in the windows of this f700 ford.everything was full of water fuel tanks,oil,transfer case exhaust just everything.

I pulled it in with the a dozer and drained everything today.I havent turned it over or anything yet just looking for advice what steps I should take before trying to start it if it will even turn over. the last month has been a real nightmare fema come by and inspected my house said it had major structure damage lost 800 acres of corn and now one of my rigs.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Major bummer about all those losses at once. I can't begin to imagine what you and your neighbors must be going through.

About the truck, it would my inclination to scrap it and get what insurance money you can. You might be able to get it running for now, but water damage to electrical components may continue to creep through the vehicle and take their toll. A Google search about restoring flood damaged vehicles may be informative.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yikes! Sorry to hear that, KW!!! I'm not sure about what else you should drain, but I'd be willing to guess the transmission and radiator, as well. You might want to call a local garage and ask them to be sure.

The electrical should be fine after it dries, but I would still ask a professional. Phil could be right.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would call the insurance company and get them to flood it out.

There are too many problems trying to fix a flooded vehicle, trucks are easier than cars - believe me.

After Katrina, there were a few good articles that came from the insurance companies for the dealers, most were talking about the science in figuring out losses, etc but two of them (which I don't have a link to or copies of here in the truck) talked about the real details of getting a truck straight after a flood. Beside the electrical, there is a mold and mildew problem that can be deadly. You have to, not suggesting but HAVE to take the heater/A/C system completely apart and clean it, including the ducts and the outlets. There is a mildew that can do some serious harm and a number of vehicles that were in Katrina ended up on the market as non-flooded cars and sold off to people who got very sick from them.

The one article went into detail about the electronics and how ECMs are not sealed, so if the battery was hooked up, chances are its toast.

Chances are even if you get it running, it will never be the same.

About Bush, I don't know what his deal is, he gave away so much with Katrina and there is still a couple billion sitting there but can't get off his a** with this stuff.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some flooded equipment is salvageable. In your case with water running in the windows............no.
Truck is basically totaled.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I don't know how old the truck is, but you might would think about taking the motor off and using it as a power unit for irrigation. If it's an old truck insurance won't give you nothing for it no way. At least you'd have a stand by power unit. Of course, I'm irrigation is the least of your concerns right now.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i have nothing useful to add. that said make sure you change the muffler bearing grease and the blinker fluid. i believe the j sells blinker system dryer fluid to make sure it is not wet before re-filling.

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
From my experience with a bulldozer that was submerged overnight, I would advise scrapping the truck. I disassembled the dozer completely down to the bare main frame and flushed and scrubbed every part before reassembling. Replaced every bearing and seal. Result: had bearing failure after bearing failure for the next several months. Sand can get into cracks and crevises that you cannot find or clean and it will eventually migrate out into the oil and bearings.. Finally put the dozer on the auction block. very expensive lesson.

But if you want to try it here is some info that may help!

ArvinMeritor -- Products & Services -- Car & Light Truck Products -- Door Systems

Dieseldoctor

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
well so far so good

I got it back together and its been running for about a week now.I am sure it will have problems but for now at least its running fine and at least I have some time to make some money before I have to replace the truck part of the rig.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Katrina's flood waters were Salt Water, Fresh Water should not destroy all electronic componets. I would never ever buy a vehicle ever registered in LA.

I am sorry for your loss, four weeks ago I crossed US 50 from IL, into IN, what a mess back than the river was at least three miles wide farms completely under 40 feet of water, only the tops of Silos and Barn roofs could be seen for miles.