Can any reccomend a good Truck GPS

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Hello all, I am hoping to collect from all of you experienced Expediters out there. I have read the post with reviews on the Rand McNally Truck GPS and have decided against after reading them. I was wondering if anyone can recomend a good Truck GPS, I was looking at the Cobra 7" screen one and was wondering if anyone has tried it and what the thoughts are out there about that one or any other. My husband, Tracy and I have been out here now since the first of October. We have read post since the end of July and have learned a lot from all of your wisdom that you have shared in the past. So we are counting on some wisdome here for us. WE have been using my older Tom Tom. I don't remember which one it is though. We have gotten on roads we should not have and would have known if we had a proper GPS. It is also a pain looking all the routes up checking for low bridges. Thanks in advance for advice we get from you all.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What did you find from reading the posts that turned you away from buying the Rand GPS? I have had my Rand 500 since Feb. of this year and love it especially since we have had a major update with updated maps and many other features.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
The Rand 700 is good I like the big 7" screen sure they have problems at first because it is a new product and work the bugs out and there customer service is not the best but overall I like the 700

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You're kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you're taking the Rand McNally out of the equation. Nothing is going to be perfect with any gps out there, and the RM is no different. However, with the addition of common sense, it totally blows away the competition.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I have had the Rand 500 for about 6 momnths i guess...i wouldn't trade it.....

Same with us. I like that I can input my vehicle dimentions and weight, or if we are running hazmat and it will route us the appropriate way. I still double check my hazmat routing though just to satisfy my curiosity. I also like the feature that it will tell us where state lines and scale houses are. Plus it will keep track of your driving time for each driver.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have gamin 465t for truck's works great
also has routing for hazmat to
and if you be long to ooida there is a discount for it

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
I highly recommend CoPilot 11. It is for professional truck driver use only. More features than any dash mount GPS.
Only limitations is the user.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I highly recommend CoPilot 11. It is for professional truck driver use only. More features than any dash mount GPS.
Only limitations is the user.

The Rand 500 and 700 are built for professional truck drivers too sure it has car features too why not so the truck driver can take it out of his truck and use in his/her car as far as the co pilot having more features than Rand, you have to show me proof I m from the show me state:D

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
CoPilot 11 has a lot of problems. Some of the features, like how the POIs work, have changed dramatically since version 9. Actually, in ALK's quest to "dumb down" the software to make it easier to use, they completely removed features like "Avoid/Favor" any road, the "POI" manager that allowed people to create their own custom POI's and to import/export easily those POI's, the ability to display ONLY the precise POI icons on the screen that you want to display, the ability to show more or less "map detail" at any zoom level, and the ability to set POI alerts for ONLY the specific trucking items that you want to be alerted for. In version 11 it displays a POI alert "icon" that you must click to see details, which is just an awesome idea for people to do while driving down the road, and when you do manage to click on it without crashing the truck, it then lumps together every exit, truck,stop, scale, and weigh station into that alert. Sooo, the new POI "features" are rendered useless for most driver.

There are lots of features that are talked about in the manual, but are no longer included in the software, too, which is always nice to see so you'll know what you're missing. It's database of truckstops is woefully inadequate with most of them missing, and the ones that are there are more often than not showing nowhere close to their actual location. Most of it's POIs are like that, where the GPS coordinates are off a little, some are just across the street, but some are down to the next exit.

It does not work on XP-64, Vista-64, or Windows 7 Home Premium 64, but it does work on Windows 7 Ultimate and Pro 64-bit IF you have the OS running in 'XP 16-bit' Mode. It only works in one screen resolution with many popular laptop video cards, well, 800x600 or lower. The maps are out of date by as much as 4 years in some regions.

Oh, and the GSP receiver that comes with CoPilot 11 is proprietary (not built to standards) and thus will only work with CoPilot 11. They have a really gnarly GPS receiver with many nifty features (16-channel (rather than 12 or 14) parallel and continuous satellite tracking, and simultaneous dual L1/L2 signal reception, and an internal electronic compass which eliminates the need to be moving to get a direction, among several others), most of which the software doesn't even use, but third party programs like Streets & Trips and DeLorme will. They found many people were using their receiver with other programs, and they didn't like that, so they made it proprietary.

But now they've come out with CoPilot Version 8, which is a later version than 11, which is just retarded by any criteria you choose to apply. And it's got its share of problems, too. For a major update, it's pretty bad, which is probably why they gave it an older number that they skipped.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a van driver who doesn't know how to use the software, and not a professional truck driver.

But for my money, and for safety's sake, use a laptop as a laptop, and a GPS unit as a GPS unit. For a truck specific unit, Garmin has the most accurate maps and routings, except its truck-specific unit has some routing problems (that will be corrected, some already have), where it weights too heavily and National STAA truck routes instead of common sense Interstate routing. But the Rand McNally is a new up and coming kid on the block insofar as truck-specific standalones are concerned, and the Rand McNally has better truck-specific features than the Garmin does. The Garmin, Tom Tom and Rand McNally will all have roughly the same mapping data, however, and none of them are perfect, so what it really comes down to is the user interface and the bells and whistles. In this case, if it's truck-specific features you're after, the Rand McNally wins.

Regardless of which unit you get, do NOT follow it blindly, especially under bridges. In New Jersey and New York especially, the Garmin has some nailed perfectly, but completely misses others badly, and the same with the Rand McNally. There are a lot of low bridges that the Garmin doesn't know about, but the Rand McNally does, and visa versa. Both are pretty good with truck routes, but don't bet on it. (CoPilot 11 is notorious for routing a truck onto restricted routes if it has to recalculate because you missed a turn. It'll go for quick and easy every time, regardless of the restrictions.)

Like Hawk said, don't let the GPS unit replace common sense. It's a tool, nothing more. Use the other mapping tools at your disposal, like Streets & Trips if you have it, or Mapquest and Google Maps. If you have an Android phone, you've got Google Navigator built into, so use that, too. It (Google Navigator and the online Google Maps) will often find an address or a business that the others cannot find. It's routing often sucks, especially for trucks (hey, that rhymes) but at least you can pinpoint the location and then find it on the GPS unit for the actual routing.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I run a cargo van but have my R & M 500 setup for a 33,000 26 ft ST...I am always routed on good hyways and and no back country farm roads.....

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Thank you everybody. I appreciate all of your help. I have been on a two day drive so this was the first I was able to check in. We are wanting the 7" screen. We were leaning toward the RM at first but after reading everyone's problems about it we thought we would get more opinions on it. Seems like everyone, at least who have replied to this post, like the RM. We appreciate your imput.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I usually have my Garmin (c-550) set for Truck, Quickest Route, but I also sometimes use Shortest Route and the same with Car as the vehicle. Shortest Route with Car as the vehicle can be interesting, even in a Sprinter or a van. In rural areas, like mountainous Pennsylvania, it doesn't know the difference between a road and a goat cart path over the mountain. Out west in Montana and Wyoming, it often thinks a horse trail is a road.