Call the Senate today

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Today is the day on one of the negative bills in the Senate. Make some calls.

Today the fight against new toll-taxes comes to a head in the U.S. Senate, and it is important that you contact BOTH of your U.S. Senators RIGHT NOW. Ask them to stand with truckers and other motorists and OPPOSE the Carper amendment to the Senate’s Highway Bill (S. 1813) when it comes up for a vote later today.

The Carper amendment would give states a blank check to toll the entire Interstate Highway System, and big-business interests like foreign banks, highway construction contractors, and mega-engineering firms are pulling out all the stops to get the Senate to support tolling our highways. Small business truckers need to make their voice heard NOW as votes on these amendments are expected sometime Tuesday. Both of your Senators will be voting on this amendment, so it is important you contact each of them as soon as possible.

To contact your Senators, call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and provide the operator with your home zip code. The operator will connect you with the office of your elected officials.

You are also welcome to call OOIDA at 800-444-5791. Association staff will be happy to help put you in touch with your elected officials.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We already gave threw out the baby with the bath water ... maybe we need to look at replacing these guys in the senate and having some real serious 'revolts' at the voting booth for all of them?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm all for replacing 90% or so of the current crop in both houses and will do my part when possible. This notice came today from OOIDA and is more immediately important.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
90%?

Well I guess I will 90% call then.

If you care, it would SHOULD be 100%. no compromising on your favorite guy, all of them don't deserve to be there.

What is the carper amendment??

I didn't look hard and won't so the only thing I found is the limitations on states to go after banks, but that was 2010.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok it is actually the "Carper-Kirk" ammendment that is attached to a "highwayfunding "bill..there is also the "Hutchinson" ammendment, that the Carper-Kirk" is trying to eliminate.....here is the link to an article on it. I am not posting the article because i back this one way or the other, i haven't read the bill itself yet...so read the article and find the info and make your own decision:

Tolling coalition urges US Senate to embrace Carper-Kirk amendment 1670 expanding state toll rights, oppose Hutchinson's #1568 | TOLLROADSnews

Tolling coalition urges US Senate to embrace Carper-Kirk amendment 1670 expanding state toll rights, oppose Hutchinson's #1568

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Right off I can say Marco Rubio and Allen West should not be "thrown out with all of them". I suspect there are a few more. These are brand new guys in there and doing an excellent job. They should ALL be carefully evaluated and pretty darn close to all of them replaced but a blanket statement of throw them all out is the same as saying ALL spammers should be executed for their crime. That just isn't so. Only some of the spammers should be executed and only almost all of the 535 should be replaced. The undirty dozen should be returned.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
From this article States push to convert interstate highways into toll roads

Quote" The federal piggy bank for highway maintenance, a major funding source for states, is nearly empty. The bulk of its money is raised through the federal gas tax, which has not been increased since 1993. Despite several moves by Congress in the last three years to replenish the Highway Trust Fund, that money is expected to run out again by late 2012." Quote

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok .... back to the thread .. did you call your Seantor's? I did.

Emailed, TOTAL waste of time. I have Karl Marx Levin and Debbie Stabthemnow for my senators! Along with John Dingellberry for my rep. Obama bums all!

NO chance they will listen and almost NO chance that they will ever lose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I emailed mine. Mine are both on the good side of the line to some degree and emails work with them.

coppertone

Active Expediter
Thanks for the info. I just turned on C-SPAN. and they are voting on the bill now (2:46 pm) with ammendments voted on later this afternoon. My husband is on the phone as we speak.