Caffee's Cascadia

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What is the advantage to having the truck double framed?

Smoother ride as stated above. It also keeps the frame from sagging in long wheelbase applications, which keeps the sleeper from making contact with the box or cab. On integrated sleeper applications where the sleeper is hard-fastened (not booted) onto the cab, frame rails stay rigid and take the stress the sleeper walls would otherwise be subjected to.

Here is a photo of a truck with a frame that sags under the weight of a large sleeper. It illustrates the issue. notice the space between the sleeper and box at the top and bottom. The space may equalize when the air bags are inflated, I do not know, but the sag is clearly shown.

PantherTruck1.jpg

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a 13600 spring set under our front end to also help in the ride department, the air ride fronts, from what we have heard, have some issues with keeping alignment true. Our dealer assured us air ride was not the best option for our our specs and application.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have a 13600 spring set under our front end to also help in the ride department, the air ride fronts, from what we have heard, have some issues with keeping alignment true. Our dealer assured us air ride was not the best option for our our specs and application.

Jeff Jones has spec'ed many an expediter truck in his day and his advice is worth listening to on the trucks he spec's. But it does not apply to all trucks.

We have front air ride inspection on our Volvo expediter straight truck and it holds its alignment well. We can easily go a year or more without an alignment. When alignments are done, the adjustments are so minor that the alignment probably would not have been needed at all. This is on a suspension built for 14,600 lbs that never carries that much weight.

We only go to McMahon's in Fort Wayne for our front end work. If it has been over a year and we are close, we go in for a check. Otherwise we drive happily along with no alignment worries.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The decision on the front it was made before we ordered the truck on our own research Phil.

Bob made the decision based on his background as a mechanic. The more moving parts you have the more you have to maintain. For example on our old truck we had it aligned soon after we bought it, our tire wear was perfect on the steers, right before we sold the truck we had the truck checked and after six years the alignment was still perfect. The ride was still great, the steering was still great and that is all we asked for.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The decision on the front it was made before we ordered the truck on our own research Phil.

Bob made the decision based on his background as a mechanic.

No problem. I have no doubt that you, Bob, Jones and others mixed many thoughts as your truck was being built. I only assumed that it was Jone's recommendation because you said, "Our dealer assured us air ride was not the best option for our our specs and application." My error.

As you well know, spec'ing a truck is an exercise in trade-offs. Diane and I put a high priority on a smooth ride. For that reason we included frame rails, tandem drive axles and front air ride suspension. That tandem drive axle decision guaranteed that we would pay thousands of dollars of FET tax on the truck but we did it anyway because we wanted the smooth ride tandem drives provide.

Even if that meant getting wheel alignments every six months (which it does not), and even if it meant increased rolling resistance by having more tires on the ground (which it does) and increased weight and parasitic drag by adding a second differential and drive axle (which it does), they were expenses we gladly incurred. We drove some pretty rough-ride trucks when we drove fleet owner trucks. It was not an experience we wanted to repeat when we got into a truck of our own.

As I said, it's all about trade-offs. If we wanted to spec a truck for perfect wheel alignment, we might do what Bob recommends. If it was about maximum fuel economy we might go with a Cascadia factory sleeper and dry box to reduce weight and maximize aerodynamics. If it was about maximum gross revenue, we might go with a WG-equipped ER-unit and our own trailer. If it was about avoiding EPA engines, the Colonel has the plan.

It's all about trade-offs, and the great thing about building a truck of your own is that you get to set your priorities, make the trade-offs and run the business model that makes sense for you.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Jes git'cha a 92 Farmall.......all problems solved. Plenty of power, hardly any sensors, decent mileage, exceptional reliability, heavy nuff frame, and.....no worrys bout tape residue.

After buying the new tree hugger machines, I am convinced the corn binder might have been a better option.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
[/B]
Ain't that the truth

Nope no truth there......jes the fax.

And Dave, The tree huggers been in our nickers for a while now. Amazes me the masses let em git away with it. All ya can do is build something you can live with, or, pay the price fo camping in this business.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Pictures of the interior finally!

Attachments

• DSC01626.jpg
    DSC01626.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01627.jpg
    DSC01627.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC01628.jpg
    DSC01628.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC01629.jpg
    DSC01629.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 93

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Looks very nice, I hope it turns out to be everything you wanted/needed it to be.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You got a realy nice Truck!! I also like the New Logo for FedEX.
I am going to insist on the Owner Putting this Logo on the The Trailer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realy think it looks Professional!!!!!

Bravo Zulu!!!!

OK No get me Moving!!!!!!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It really is nice.
Please keep us updated on the good and bad of owning her. Especially the fuel mileage.
I already talked to Jeff Jones about getting a copy but I have decided I am not yet wealthy enough to own one so nice.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Nope the Caffcadia is running around Texas right now enjoying the sun and wishing the wind would quit blowing. I fought a head wind all morning and my dash readout for fuel showed this.

So far only good on the truck with a few hiccups. Learning to back the Ultra Shift is interesting. I consider myself pretty good at backing but this.... I jerk around like a newbie. That saying today we delivered into one of the tightest places we have been in and I was able to back up pull forward several times and did not heat the clutch up or touch any of the cars.

Our first fill-up on the truck was 10.7 and we were pleased. The truck has idled a lot, been in and out of shops, driven in pouring rain and wind.

We had our first fill-up of DEF. I was hoping we could fill at a TA but no luck as Dallas TA does not have the DEF in bulk. I did a little shopping around and found DEF in bulk at the Loves and found the fuel price was the same as the TA with our discount. I am interested to see how many MPG we can get on our DEF fill-up. The DEF per gallon price was 2.60 much cheaper than containers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you for the day-by-day, development-by-development reports. That's the kind of information that is meaningful to many.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
would like to see some pics of the outside of the truck now that the boxes, axle and ss tires are all on the trk.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Pictures of a work in progress...

Attachments

• DSC01727.jpg
    DSC01727.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC01728.jpg
    DSC01728.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 109

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
VERY NICE!!! I'd like to get ahold of one of those "visors" and split it and narrow it an see if it would lok good on my CV...:D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Great looking truck. Too bad it can't have the good blue Ex's on it to make it perfect.