C/V's Dead?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like sprinter drivers have "dock high envy!" You can sure as heck haul 3-4 skids on your truck, but you will never measure up to the dock high status of the big boys! That being said, i'm pretty sure a start-up dock elevator company is sending sales people all throughout the country to explain the benefits of the dock elevator in regards to sprinter and cargo van loads. lol.

HATE THE STRAIGHT!!!

ALWAYS HAVE A "VAN DO" ATTITUDE!!!

We've all been to some shippers that have VAN level docks...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
OVM, it's like trying to introduce the rubber tire to a cave man who uses a stone slab on his shopping cart. A lot of these shippers are too lazy to think outside the "dock high box" and as a result are paying too much for shipping. We need to spread the word that gangs of roving cargo vans are everywhere waiting to pick up straight truck freight for lower rates!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, it's like trying to introduce the rubber tire to a cave man who uses a stone slab on his shopping cart. A lot of these shippers are too lazy to think outside the "dock high box" and as a result are paying too much for shipping. We need to spread the word that gangs of roving cargo vans are everywhere waiting to pick up straight truck freight for lower rates!

Alrighty...show me the money...*L*

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My gripe is against carrier misleading new O/O's into purchasing expensive sprinters that they can't afford to make the payments on. Yes you will get some longer and tallers loads in a sprinter, but you are not going to be paid a sprinter rate to haul cargo van freight. There is still plenty of regular cargo van freight out there. I know, I watch the load boards daily. My rant is not against the sprinter owners. The only issue I would have with a sprinter owner is if he takes sprinter loads at or below vanner rates. That is just as bad as cutting the rates!

I am so sick of these recruiters like, Tristate and, Nations Express refusing to take on vans at times because they want the ever so prestigeous sprinter in their line up of expedite vehicles! There have been countless articles by the experts that the cargo van is going to be regulated/phased out and it has not happened yet and I believe that it is never going to happen. All I gotta say for the van haters out there is "don't hate just appreciate" the fact that we are here, we make good money, and we ain't gonna go away anytime soon. We are like athletes foot, we can be removed, but we will always come back!

You are so, so right!!!:cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My two cents. I think C/Vans are neat. And I don't think they will ever get rid of them. Probably not to far in the future there is probably going to be a shortage of C/V because of people loosing Sprinters. I see companies forcing Sprinters on people when most of those people are running a thousand miles a week. With those payments and the stupid fees some company's charge how can an operator afford them?:confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My two cents. I think C/Vans are neat. And I don't think they will ever get rid of them. Probably not to far in the future there is probably going to be a shortage of C/V because of people loosing Sprinters. I see companies forcing Sprinters on people when most of those people are running a thousand miles a week. With those payments and the stupid fees some company's charge how can an operator afford them?:confused:

Most can't....they may last awhile...quite a few drain all their resources to make it work always hoping and dreaming...I feel bad for them they were led down the garden path...If they'd joined EO and asked first it may have been prevented...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We need to spread the word that gangs of roving cargo vans are everywhere waiting to pick up straight truck freight for lower rates!
I like that, gangs of roving cargo vans. I can see myself sporting a Marlon Brando leather hat (Wild Ones) and my leather Eldridge Cleaver pants and gloves ( sorry Cheri, I know I promised years ago I'd stop with the Black Panther references) and terrorizing unsuspecting shippers. Where do I sign up?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We will call ourselves the warriors! We can block straight trucks into the docks while we plead with shippers to have the freight broken down and put on vans for a lower rate. Then we will all drive around in circles to intimidate the bigger trucks before we speed off down the road to the nearest wally world.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once we get to Wally World we can terrorize those lazyass shoppers who leave their shopping carts everywhere but the cart corral.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We can all pitch in and rent a huge clubhouse somewhere where we can have monthly meetings and events. Kind of like the biker guys do. Then we can all run down the highway in a convoy with loud mufflers and honking horns! Straight trucks will see us covering rest areas like a swarm of bee's and roll straight down the highway afraid to stir the hornets nest!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Looks like sprinter drivers have "dock high envy!" You can sure as heck haul 3-4 skids on your truck, but you will never measure up to the dock high status of the big boys! That being said, i'm pretty sure a start-up dock elevator company is sending sales people all throughout the country to explain the benefits of the dock elevator in regards to sprinter and cargo van loads. lol.

HATE THE STRAIGHT!!!

ALWAYS HAVE A "VAN DO" ATTITUDE!!!

I was at a Lockheed or Northrop something like that except it was an engineering bldg in Port Royal Va. No docks. They brought the 2 pallets out from the mail room with a pallet jack onto a air lift that came up to the truck and had a flip down dock plate. Took about 45 min. To load 2 skids. Could do 1 skid at a time. Had a load limit but don't remember what it was.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, American slop buckets only! Those Sprinter people can start their own club and terrorize Hollywood or a bagel shop or something.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, American slop buckets only! Those Sprinter people can start their own club and terrorize Hollywood or a bagel shop or something.

You drive a Sprinter you're no better than those anarchists from The Big Lebowski.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
We will call ourselves the warriors! We can block straight trucks into the docks while we plead with shippers to have the freight broken down and put on vans for a lower rate. Then we will all drive around in circles to intimidate the bigger trucks before we speed off down the road to the nearest wally world.

Well there be beer???????????????

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Can we "open carry!?!?" I have a few old glass bottles of "PBR"...wait thats "open Container" not "open carry"....:rolleyes: