C/V's Dead?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Do I hear a club??? A club with multiple locations???? We could call it, let's see, What could we call it? Sign me up I don't care what the name is, just make sure its for C/V's only.

We can call it "Great American Van Club" (Members only):cool::p

We can take over the towns where the clubs are, run down the street in twos with those loud pipes, wait a minute isn't that on Fox already??:cool:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Maybe I'm late to this discussion, but here's my two cents.

The rates on van freight are down at the moment due to too many of them in service, but I don't think the van is dead. There is always going to be a market for the service a van can provide, especially if the FMCSA knocks the driving time down to ten hours for logging vehicles.

Also, I hope the van doesn't get phased out or that the manufacturers don't just start making all their vans taller or something. The only reason the Sprinter type vehicles are what they are is because of vans. If all vans were the size of Sprinters, then there wouldn't be more money for 60 inch tall skids or three skid loads. The long and tall Sprinter dimensions would be what the current cargo van dims are now, the measurement for the lowest price point for freight. Sprinter owners want the cargo vans to be out there because they want there to always be a smaller vehicle that gets a lower rate. I don't think we want the Sprinter size vehicle to be the smallest thing running for that reason.

The other side of that goes back to what I posted a while back, and that's people who expect the rate to be tied to the vehicle and not the load that's going in the vehicle. If you buy a Sprinter, you can't expect to get the higher Sprinter rate for one skid that's 48" or shorter that would fit in a van. I do think a Sprinter will make more money over the long haul because of the extra loads you can get that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but you can't expect to get that higher rate for every load you haul.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
CharlesD wrote:

Maybe I'm late to this discussion, but here's my two cents.

The rates on van freight are down at the moment due to too many of them in service, but I don't think the van is dead. There is always going to be a market for the service a van can provide, especially if the FMCSA knocks the driving time down to ten hours for logging vehicles.

Also, I hope the van doesn't get phased out or that the manufacturers don't just start making all their vans taller or something. The only reason the Sprinter type vehicles are what they are is because of vans. If all vans were the size of Sprinters, then there wouldn't be more money for 60 inch tall skids or three skid loads. The long and tall Sprinter dimensions would be what the current cargo van dims are now, the measurement for the lowest price point for freight. Sprinter owners want the cargo vans to be out there because they want there to always be a smaller vehicle that gets a lower rate. I don't think we want the Sprinter size vehicle to be the smallest thing running for that reason.

The other side of that goes back to what I posted a while back, and that's people who expect the rate to be tied to the vehicle and not the load that's going in the vehicle. If you buy a Sprinter, you can't expect to get the higher Sprinter rate for one skid that's 48" or shorter that would fit in a van. I do think a Sprinter will make more money over the long haul because of the extra loads you can get that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but you can't expect to get that higher rate for every load you haul.

Better late then never, and I think you are right on the money in your point of view....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Vans are slower than others right now due to the economic state. While some will use vans instead of a straight whenever possible for monetary savings, manufacturers are cutting supply chain costs by consolidating shipments whenever possible. The plant that used to ship 2 skids a day to a customer on a van, now made changes to ship 4 skids every other day on a straight. By the same token, the same place that had been shipping 8 skids per day to a customer via straight truck now ships 16 every other day on a T/T.

I don't think the van is dead. I do think that if you have equipment or abilities that the van next to you doesn't have, you will put yourself ahead of the pack.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Charles and Jeff, we don't need your rationalities and sensibilities messing up a perfectly good thread about cargo vans gone wild terrorizing shippers and small towns. Rape, pillage, plunder and take no hostages; that's our motto.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Charles and Jeff, we don't need your rationalities and sensibilities messing up a perfectly good thread about cargo vans gone wild terrorizing shippers and small towns. Rape, pillage, plunder and take no hostages; that's our motto.

Hey Mooton, is that a crouton?

I agree. You could be like pirates and stuff and wear eye patches and haul around stuffed parrots on your shoulder. You could all start mumbling the word "argh" to yourselves when having to wait too long at the Pilot because some semi driver wants to cash a comcheck.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Purgoose i stay on thin ice according to my wife.my mother used to tell me that too.

Would anyone else care to join the ban on t/t's

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a food chain out here and the sooner one accepts the facts of expediting the better off you'll be and less stressed...
Some will try and deny it...but I think anyone who has done this a long time has witnessed it for themselves...

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Purgoose i stay on thin ice according to my wife.my mother used to tell me that too.

Would anyone else care to join the ban on t/t's

Since I sold my t/t and bought a c/v I guess I should probably get in on this.... lol

fired at you from my Droideka

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What happened to the club????? We can have a southern club and northern club and a Laredo club. The Laredo club will probably be the busiest. Probably have to be careful there cause of getting raided and all.:eek:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
What happened to the club????? We can have a southern club and northern club and a Laredo club. The Laredo club will probably be the busiest. Probably have to be careful there cause of getting raided and all.:eek:

U all do need help and medication of some mix. Way to much rock and rye in ur coffee, IMHO:D