C and D units, please...

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
Could I get a kind of percentage of the amount of space your loads take up?

IOW, of the loads that you've put on your C or D unit, how many would fit in a:

14'
16'
18'
20'
22'
24'
box?

Not worried about the heigth, width or weight, just the length.

Thanks
t.

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
We have a 22ft box and very seldom use it all. You can figure that you can load 10 pallets standard size 48x48 and have about 2 ft for your gear in the front or back your choice ie; load locks, pads,pallet jack, ect. Percentages hurt my head. LOL:) :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That is a hard question to answer.

For me most of the time I haul a single pallet or maybe two but I have had the boxed stuffed twice, I mean shoring bars and decking all out and set up front to back for pallets to the ceiling.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Rough estimate... I average 5 skids, or about 12' of space. The truck we were running had a 22' box, and it was filled many times in the past year. And many times, we had one or two skids thrown on the back end.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Difficult question to answer. We run a 22'box, but most of the runs (over 50%) are one or two pallets or less. Very seldom have we every used the entire box. I understand better now why many choose a "C" Unit so that they can get the largest sleeper. Using a smaller box - again most loads are 1 or 2 pallets and you have the convenience of a large sleeper without losing out on loads.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We run a reefer unit with a 16 ft box and the size of the box hasn't really been an issue. That being said, we do have issue with weight. We only have a single axle with no helper. So consider that when trying to figure what you'll need back there.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We have a class 8 tractor, a reefer unit, extra insulation for the box, a lift gate, and only a single axle in the rear so we can only haul about 5000 lbs or we are overweight. Not our decision, we drive for an owner. It was originally spec'd to be a White Glove truck, but that changed.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Yes, tough question since we are only dispatched to loads that are to fit our truck. However I can add this. When we had our D-unit I was never dispatched to a load that would not fit. With our current C-unit I did have one load that was a single piece that was too long and had to have another truck ordered (D-unit). We have a 16 foot box.
God bless our Military and Vets.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In most cases it is not what will fit in your truck, but rather what type of vehicle the customer requests. More often than not, the customer will say send me 22 footer that is dock high and will give the weight & dimensions. Load might be two pallets that would go on a 16 footer, but the truck sent will be a 22 footer until they run out.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 22' D unit and last year over 50% of my loads were D loads. With us if it is over 5000 lbs it is a D load regardless of whether a C could haul it and would not be offered to a C unless no D's were available.