Bugged out

Kid_7

Expert Expediter
Are there any magic liquids to keep the bugs of the windshield or at least clean them off?

Thanks

outwardbound 2

Expert Expediter
i use the rain-x washer fluid works great. But normally i just let them stay on the windshield until it rains then a few minutes with the windsheild wipers clean them right up. And for the baked on bugs just soak your windsheild with windex(or any glass cleaner) before trying to clean it

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use the orange Rain-X. It does as good a job as anything that goes in the washer bottle to clean and also resists freezing in the winter.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 4958, 5447
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
> But normally i
>just let them stay on the windshield until it rains then a
>few minutes with the windsheild wipers clean them right up.

This would not have worked for me Thursday, I hit a swam of something in rural Ohio and i could not see. it seemed like they came in two different groups, I had to stop twice to clean my windshield and when I got to 75, I stopped and spent 15 minutes just scrubing it and anotehr 10 minutes finsihing it so it was clean. still got to wash the rest of the truck - yuk.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good coat of Rain-X on clean glass and some Rain-X washer fluid in the reservoir and you're all set. Rain-X keeps bug goo from adhering to the windshield. It cleans off easier. My only compaint about Rain-X is that it tends to attract dust. When parked in a dusty area it acts like a dust magnet.

Always apply to warm clean glass!

Rain-X Corp. You know where to send the check!

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This works great when your stopped and have time. Take a damp sponge or your own windshield cleaner, dampen it, pour on a little baking soda and run it across the window. Bug juice melts away. I use it on the hood when washing the truck. No damage what so ever.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WD-40 is great for removing bugs,tar and grease from painted surfaces.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Not that I have any expierence in cleaning anything. Aerosol Window Cleaner, spray it on, let is sit (in the shade) for 3 minutes turn on windshield wipers and 90% will be gone.

There is no magic formula sold in gallons to clean these truck windshield. They work alot better on cars, but cars are alot lower and windshields are angled so they collect only a fraction of what we collect.

Never fails get a truck wash, and before you hit your first mile one bug has to splatter right in between your eyes and nose. Why is this?

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Broom, Blue Beacon actually breeds the insect known as the Splatterus Windshiledus. It only resides within 10 miles of a truck wash. This is part of their repeat buisness program.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Job Security!

I think its just like when you wash your car, there always seems to be a bird that is waiting for you to finish up. Nothing makes me madder then spending a few hours washing and detailing a car then comming out 10 minutes later and find a big white spot on there. :+

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
A good coat of Rain-X on clean glass and some Rain-X washer fluid in the reservoir and you're all set. Rain-X keeps bug goo from adhering to the windshield. It cleans off easier. My only compaint about Rain-X is that it tends to attract dust. When parked in a dusty area it acts like a dust magnet.

Always apply to warm clean glass!

Rain-X Corp. You know where to send the check!

I Agree totally, love the washerfluid
I check wal-mart, menards etc and when it's on sale I buy 3 or 4 gallons. I am a company driver and pay for it out of my pocket. It is much better than the crap the company buys. it's nice to be able to drive in light rain without using wipers.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Its a free fill up At the speedco with a PM
and this is my truck in FL a few years back ...
Click to enlarge...

Moose.

Last edited:

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Not that I have any expierence in cleaning anything. Aerosol Window Cleaner, spray it on, let is sit (in the shade) for 3 minutes turn on windshield wipers and 90% will be gone.

There is no magic formula sold in gallons to clean these truck windshield. They work alot better on cars, but cars are alot lower and windshields are angled so they collect only a fraction of what we collect.

Never fails get a truck wash, and before you hit your first mile one bug has to splatter right in between your eyes and nose. Why is this?

Actually there is a magic formula, but it isn't sold in gallons. It's sold in a 20 oz. spray bottle and it is called exactly what it is, Totally Awesome. It is sold at dollar tree stores for a buck and this stuff is well... Totally Awesome. For bugs just spray a slight mist all over windshield, it doesn't take alot, then just use the squeege at the fuel stop. doesn't matter if it's just water or washer fluid and the bugs come off like they were not even there. This stuff is also Totally Awesome for tar and other stuff that sprays from the road on your van or truck. Just spray on and wipe off with a paper towel. This stuff will clean anything. I've seen it at family dollar stores too, but dollar tree always has it in stock. A friend of mine even uses it on his laundry. Oh yeah I also use it to clean my tires. Just spray on and wipe off with a rag or spray on tires before washing. tires look nice and black but not shiny.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Actually there is a magic formula, but it isn't sold in gallons. It's sold in a 20 oz. spray bottle and it is called exactly what it is, Totally Awesome. It is sold at dollar tree stores for a buck and this stuff is well... Totally Awesome. For bugs just spray a slight mist all over windshield, it doesn't take alot, then just use the squeege at the fuel stop. doesn't matter if it's just water or washer fluid and the bugs come off like they were not even there. This stuff is also Totally Awesome for tar and other stuff that sprays from the road on your van or truck. Just spray on and wipe off with a paper towel. This stuff will clean anything. I've seen it at family dollar stores too, but dollar tree always has it in stock. A friend of mine even uses it on his laundry. Oh yeah I also use it to clean my tires. Just spray on and wipe off with a rag or spray on tires before washing. tires look nice and black but not shiny.

Totally Awesome works well in the reservoir, too. It's supposed to be diluted with water and in the winter I add in rubbing alcohol so it doesn't freeze. I use it for total truck washes when I'm sitting with more time than money on my hands. It does a good job when there's soot on the roof of the sleeper. It's non-toxic, so it's safe around our 4 footed co-drivers.

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
I was always told that water and a splash of liquid fabric softener does great. I never tried it though. So, if someone does attempt it, and it fails, blame the guy I met in Laredo. But, if it works, I will take all credit.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Rainx in the washer fluid and for the side-of-the road clean ups, I was an ice scrapper to remove the bulk of the baked on pest and then follow up with gunk windshield foam cleaner....looks show room after that and the ice scrapper makes it so much easier...;)