Buddy Heater/Fantastic Fan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your going to carry a 20 why not just use it to run your heater. Don't know anyone who ever failed an inspection because of it. What's the difference between a bunch of small ones or one bigger one?

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

I used to do small at one time... A pair of them at Walmart is almost 6 bucks with tax. If on layover you could burn thru about 20 in 24 hrs at full burn rate all them singles consume the same room as a 20lb tank for same 20 bucks you can run at least 3 -4 days on a 20lb tank! I kept a pair of small ones for emergency

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I used to do small at one time... A pair of them at Walmart is almost 6 bucks with tax. If on layover you could burn thru about 20 in 24 hrs at full burn rate all them singles consume the same room as a 20lb tank for same 20 bucks you can run at least 3 -4 days on a 20lb tank! I kept a pair of small ones for emergency

Exactly what I do. Run off the 20....keep at least two spares of 1 pounders. Fill the 20 at Flyin J whenever it seems low. (about 3-4 days). It's a good system, but during the less than cold nights, I'd prefer the dual 1 pounders. It's those loooong stretches of needing constant heat that the 20 pays off big time.

But that expedite company is history. LOL No more sitting at the J after refilling a 20, and then filling again at that same J. And no more logging....we're legal now. :cool:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At the auto show last week they had a Promaster on display. It was decked out as some sort of service vehicle. One of the extras was a rack to hold four 20 pounders one atop the other. That and a Buddy should take care of most heating needs with no fear of running out.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone told me you could refill them, and there's some special way to do it. It's a shame to throw these things away....and I personally would refill them from a 20, if an easy way was found. Waste of good steel, otherwise.

Don't like getting up at night to change em, but consider them much more apt to pass a cargo inspection and space saving properties. The 20 could ride on front or back?

This is all you need.

Attachments

• RTA_THP-REFILL.jpg
    RTA_THP-REFILL.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 39

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't want to carry a 20#er in my straight truckbut I can put one in one of my belly boxs to refill also keep the little bottles in a belly box. Thanks for your help guys.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you kidding ....refilling 1 lb. disposable .....I heard standing on head may help .....lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

If any body knows where this poster is please notify Ringling Bros I heard one of their goofy clowns got away.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To fill the one lb all the way you need to either vent it while filling or chill it before hand like in a freezer.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Harbour freight is supposed to have that adapter.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If any body knows where this poster is please notify Ringling Bros I heard one of their goofy clowns got away.

Right here warm from Not getting up after 5 hours to change 2 more little 1 lb. to reheat back up for 5 more hours.....if you want to refill them ...thats fine....:thumbup:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm with ya, Bolt guy, whatever your name is. LOL!! I've made several attempts at the right way to feed aux fuel to my generator for heat. It's been a real struggle for me as I'm only testing each step on the road. I finally got it overnight last night. Turns out my "vented" 6-gallon aux tank MAY only vent higher pressure/vacuum than is needed for fuel siphoning. It just kept pulling a vacuum on the tank and killing the generator. I gave up, turned the tank on its side, unscrewed the cap a little & gravity fed the genset. 3-4 bulb squeezes and I was up and running.
Yes, I would MUCH rather have an Espar. But until then, at least I should be able to roll with this. And add some porta-a/c in the spring.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Right here warm from Not getting up after 5 hours to change 2 more little 1 lb. to reheat back up for 5 more hours.....if you want to refill them ...thats fine....:thumbup:

From Iowa? Where bouts? Grew up near IC myself.

When it gets warmer, the pound tanks do just fine. Right now, it's the 20 for sure, but I'm talking about being able to refill the small ones, if I use them in between (your not always sitting right at the Flyin), and this guy will not exchange for those 2/3 full rip offs.

Small ones keep going up, and near 6 bucks this year for two. I'll just flip my tank, attach the chilled bottle, and fill em. Ya, I hate getting up to change the little ones...but my Buddy sits on a platform I can drag over to myself, change out, slide back.....and never leave the bunk.

Anytime I can leave that hose, connector, and regulator in storage....makes for a neater, safer, and more convenient break down for freight. It's mobile.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maverick. ..I live west of Waterloo ....after about 3 nights of running heater
I just refill the 20 lb er....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just used the exchange thingee at Lowes or Home Depot...especially like the new automated type...I couldn't see messing with them bottles...

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Maverick. ..I live west of Waterloo ....after about 3 nights of running heater
I just refill the 20 lb er....

Cool!....then you know all about Sterzings potato chips, great pork tenderloins, and Hayden Fry. Iowa does have more than corn fields....you just have to look. LOL

BTW....forget that "rated number 1" pork tenderloin at I-80 truck stop.

Little place over in Solon Iowa has one to die for. Big as a dinner plate.

Last edited: