Buddy Heater/Fantastic Fan

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I may be using my Big Buddy heater more during the next week or so of polar freeze, I was thinking of installing a Fantastic Fan on my van to vent my big buddy heater so I don't have to crack open the windows. I was going to get one anyway since a new van is again being postponed, but it could serve a purpose now for venting the buddy heater.

What do you folks think, would the vent provide adequate venting and keep the oxygen levels good and safe when using the buddy heater, or will the vent let to much cold air in. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If your van is pretty airtight, I'm guessing it may not exhaust enough. Also running the fan without makeup air would be hard on the motor. Maybe barely crack front window on one side?
Anyone think it might be worth investing in a CO detector to help ensure DEATH isn't an issue?

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually I have a CO detector in the front and back of the van to be double cautious.

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point, cracking one window would be a good idea.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have had my buddy heater going on 6 yrs ..I always crack the front window inch or 2 ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running a fan will suck out a lot more of the heat compared to a window opened.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the Buddie models ALL have a very sensitive 02 sensors, since they use up all your oxygen....if you don't open the window enough it will shut off way before you are dead...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW....words for thought....you realize your heating the outside with your money you don't want to spend on an Espar don't you.....think of the logic your doing....heating the van and opening the window.....does that make any sense at all?....are you really saving money?....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use maybe 1 20# tank 1 x month...$20.00 p/m for 5 months out of the year..not that big of an expense..I mostly heat with my elec. Heater ..my gen is running @ night regardless because of my cpap...and the gen uses 1/2 gal per night..just cost of doing businesses..

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Keep in mind that all the drivers that had propane heaters that weren't vented enough are no longer posting messages on EO.... :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use maybe 1 20# tank 1 x month...$20.00 p/m for 5 months out of the year..not that big of an expense..I mostly heat with my elec. Heater ..my gen is running @ night regardless because of my cpap...and the gen uses 1/2 gal per night..just cost of doing businesses..

hmmmm....I was a 100% buddy user a 20# tank lasts about 3-4 DAYS.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Propane does not produce significent CO2.....it just sucks up the air around you I had a CO2 detector and not once went off or showed any increase

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it sucks up all the air around you, that would be really bad, right???

what is really bad is the line from the propane tank blew apart at the crimp where they attach the hose to the fitting and the propane came fuming out....luckily I was parked and tossed the whole thing outside really quick and at that time I smoked but at that moment didn;t have one lit...I may not be posting this if I did.!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I Dont use it much.....if you Dont like it Dont use it...I like so I will use it...

I am NOT arguing with you....save that for the apple cart guy...I am just relaying my experience with propane....it is only information for people to make their own decisions...you have your way I have mine....and all is ok in the world...:)