Buddy Heater/Fantastic Fan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I finally went and got the Espar. I'll never own a van again without one. Makes it so easy to sleep. Push the button, run inside for 10-15 minutes, come out and jump into a warm cargo box. Just like home, set temp at 72 and never need to think about it all night. Cycles between the different setting automatically and maintains even temps all night.

If I'm sitting in front, just open the curtain on drivers side. Can sit in 5 degree temps in a T shirt.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I finally went and got the Espar. I'll never own a van again without one. Makes it so easy to sleep. Push the button, run inside for 10-15 minutes, come out and jump into a warm cargo box. Just like home, set temp at 72 and never need to think about it all night. Cycles between the different setting automatically and maintains even temps all night.

If I'm sitting in front, just open the curtain on drivers side. Can sit in 5 degree temps in a T shirt.

You sir just made one helluva sales pitch!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deleted, didn't mean to offend anyone. I'll shut up now!

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The Espar is expensive, no doubt about that. But, how serious are you about this business? Isn't it worth the investment in yourself to get a better, more restful sleep?

When I started doing this 2 1/2 years ago I dreaded staying out overnight. Now that I have my Espar, my generator, my A/ C unit, my battery bank with inverter, my TV, my powered roof vent and my portable oven/cooker it's actually easy to stay out longer and be more comfortable. Best part is that every penny I have spent on these comfort accessories can be removed from the van I'm using now and moved along to my next van. When you start to figure that these things will still be with you well into the future, the price becomes less of an issue.

I was reluctant to spend the big money on the Espar, but OVM convinced me that all the money I was wasting on motels was stupid. I thank him for showing me the correct way to survive winters.

How I keep my fat Azz warm is no barometer on how serious I am about my business ...I will guarantee you I have a more comfortable nicer setup than you..I put my $$$ into a nicer bigger truck with all the bells and whistles ..I see your in a CV ...why Dont you upgrade to something higher standing up is a big + ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I am going to get a larger, taller van. Just don't want a Sprinter and not a fan of Dodge. When the Ford comes out I'll be there waiting with a check in hand. I certainly wasn't trying to say anything negative about anyone else's setup. Good Bye

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Just like a-holes. We all have opinions. Those opinions are valuable to the people that hold them. I think no one wants to argue. But I am truly glad that soooo many people are willing to share their personal experiences and opinions on what works for them. Thank you all. Saving for an Espar. Just WISH I could get it higher on the to-do list.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hmmm..

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In this business some people put the apple cart ahead of the horse....lol....I'll stay with my big buddy heater till I purchase my next vehicle ....then the espar heater will go in first....but of course thats my choice. ..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One problem for some is money, especially for van operators. Many can afford a propane cylinder as needed but couldn't pay for an Espar and installation in a blue moon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Someone noted that the Espar heater is expensive. And it is, if you just look at the price of the unit installed. If, however, you do a cost analysis over several years, it becomes quite cheap. It is hands down the most cost effective way to heat a van, Sprinter, or Sprinter wannabe.

Some people sit in their Espar-heated van in 5 degree temperatures wearing only a t-shirt. I sit in mine often wearing not even the t-shirt.

I don't pull back the driver's side curtain when I do that, tho. That would be wrong. Oh, so wrong.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't pull back the driver's side curtain when I do that, tho. That would be wrong. Oh, so wrong.
See-No-Evil-Know-No-Evil.jpg

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
In this business some people put the apple cart ahead of the horse....lol....I'll stay with my big buddy heater till I purchase my next vehicle ....then the espar heater will go in first....but of course thats my choice. ..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

This is exactly my situation. Going to be buying a new van in another 60k miles or so and did not want a permanent Espar install in this van. I sent an email to Espar of Michigan a few weeks ago to see if they had any suggestions on possible temp style install and the difficulty of moving an Espar unit from one van another, had any economical suggestions for me, but was very disappointed that I never heard back from them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, in a cost analysis the Espar wins with no remotely close second place winner. That doesn't change the fact that many have never heard of Dave Ramsey and are beyond challenged financially and are doing good to afford a propane cylinder.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Yes, in a cost analysis the Espar wins with no remotely close second place winner. That doesn't change the fact that many have never heard of Dave Ramsey and are beyond challenged financially and are doing good to afford a propane cylinder.

Wow....so if you DO NOT own an espar heater ...YOU..Are saying... we are broke retards who can barley get together $20 for propane...nice arrogant position ....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow....so if you DO NOT own an espar heater ...YOU..Are saying... we are broke retards who can barley get together $20 for propane...nice arrogant position ....

You must forgive him, for he is from the soon to be blue state of Texas.:cool:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We don't take the under $1.00 a mile loads so I can afford to put an espar, generator, air conditioner, and Sirius in for our drivers. Those of you that do take sub $1.00 loads are only getting what you asked for...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What a person outfits their van with is a personal choice. I have those extras and it makes me no better than someone who chooses not to.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
What a person outfits their van with is a personal choice. I have those extras and it makes me no better than someone who chooses not to.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Does it make you a better relaxed, rested driver ?
Probably making better decisions and able to better take care of a shipper's freight ?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
We don't take the under $1.00 a mile loads so I can afford to put an espar, generator, air conditioner, and Sirius in for our drivers. Those of you that do take sub $1.00 loads are only getting what you asked for...

I'm not an arrogant guy who makes the big bucks like you..we get it your a load 1 guy yah yah yah....I have an extremely nice setup built in Honda gen ...a/c. ..Sat radio ...etc. ( I can keep listing my asserts but that just bragging).just because I choose not to buy an espar and does not make a sub par expediter as you think....I'm sorry you think were the dirt on the highway..but I'm doing very well thank you...

Last edited: