BroomPilot...Camera System Question.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Broom,

I seem to remember you have a camera system on your truck.

Would you please give me a few details about the system and the name of the outfit that did the install?

It seems that the caliber of drivers hired by some of the general freight cos. is deteriorating. After nearly having my hood taken off by these knuckleheads a few times recently as they move over in front of me after passing, I think it's time to get a system for my rig!

Thanx for any helpful info!

Rex

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Rex,I don't know about BP having the camera system but Ateam for sure does.The bad part is he ain't talking till March.:7 :7

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
>Rex,I don't know about BP having the camera system but Ateam
>for sure does.The bad part is he ain't talking till March.:7
>:7

Bad Part????

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rex:

I sure if you e-mail or p.m. Ateam you will get a reply. Also try searching camera or camera systems in past posts. I believe in Phil's post on his camera system he provided links to the manufacturer and installer.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>the system Phil has is from this site;
>
>http://ts2net.com/

Moot & Greg,

Thanx for the info on A-Teams set-up. I've got that site bookmarked.

I was hoping BroomPilot had a different system so that I could do some comaprisons.

As to searching the archives, that got me TONS of chaff but very little wheat! :'(

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Broom's is alittle more economical. And, it worked well when I seen it. I would send a PM to Broom and let him fill you in on the unit he has. It may or may not be what you are looking for.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This is terrible, the name is printed right on the front of the screen and for the life of me I cannot remember it right now but I will get back to you on it.

As for the install I was only the #2 customer for Bentz. I feel they over charged me by double as being there break in period. Took two guys over 12 hours and I was charged at least $50 an hour when a professional could have done this with one guy in about 6 hours. I am happy with the install.

I would change two things. The monitor on mine is to big the new ones are suppost to be more compact. I do not care for my recorder either, when it reaches the end it rewinds itself thus leaving me a period where something could happen and than again it takes up valuable space.

The system is though great, if for anything else backing up and blind spots. At night everything is clear as can be, I see that board with nails in it before I run over it etc...

Unfortunalty right now no fault of its own, its not working. Last summer my box shifted off the 2x4 supports (bad install and worst design) I had it lifted and repaired. Well that next night I had no marker lights, so into TA Knoxville I go. I point to exactly where I knew the problem was at, and he continues to dissagree and finds this wire and snip cuts it he just cut my camera lines. Finds where I pointed to and makes the lighting repair.

I did not realize until the next day he cut my camera lines, and I fugure no big deal I will splice it all back together. WRONG these wires are like fiber optics, so I am planning on returning either to Bentz or the MFG and rewire that portion. It will probably cost me between 3-4 hundred. Just my luck, and I miss my camera.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Broom,
A few questions.

1 - who made the system?

2 - how big is the monitor (viewing area from corner to corner diag)?

3 - how many cameras?

4 - you mentioned rewind, does it use a vcr tape?

5 - does the system have an overlay on the screen, meaning if it is the rear camera, it says rear camera on the screen?

TIA.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>This is terrible, the name is printed right on the front of
>the screen and for the life of me I cannot remember it.........
>

They call that "OldTimers Disease"!!!!!;)

No hurry, it's something I want to look into in the semi-near future.

Rex

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Rex thanks for the compliment! No Greys yet just a little memory loss.

Safety Vision.

Backing up gives you enough view to see at a 180 degree, so if a car comes into play you will see it way before hitting it.

It is a VCR. Personally I would do it again, it saved me from a big rookie mistake, (guide wire) from a telephone poll, the wire came right into view as it touched the camera, could not figure out what happened or what it was. Than I got out boy was that good luck on my part as those wires do not snap, the poll will come down before those wires will let go. Could of been big, that was really my only close call with the system.

It has 4 cameras the blind spot is not helpfull as much as I thought it would be. Going into R it automatically turns on or switches to the back up mode which I love.

When not in the truck, it will flash from camera to camera, and I have a piece of paper I leave taped to window, stating you have now been video tapped, since you read this note. Never had the truck touched with the camera on. You can see the monitor flashing to the different cameras so people use common sense. Not gona keep a great thief out but scares away most.

It also has voice, so you can hear those guys in the box while loading or unloading.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Basic RV style back up camera systems are available for as little as $400 from JC Whitney www.jcwhitney.com I imagine a basic setup like those would serve the expediter just fine.

Only a future millionaire needs the 18 camera 36 channel continuous pan truck monitoring system. Mudflap

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"I did not realize until the next day he cut my camera lines, and I fugure no big deal I will splice it all back together. WRONG these wires are like fiber optics, so I am planning on returning either to Bentz or the MFG and rewire that portion. It will probably cost me between 3-4 hundred. Just my luck, and I miss my camera."

If it were [/i]my[/i] camera that he cut the wires to, it would cost the TA 3-4 hundred, not me. :)

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Basic RV style back up camera systems are available for as
>little as $400 from JC Whitney www.jcwhitney.com I imagine
>a basic setup like those would serve the expediter just
>fine.
>
>Only a future millionaire needs the 18 camera 36 channel
>continuous pan truck monitoring system. Mudflap

The thing is, I want MORE than basic back-up coverage. I also want the recording feature.

In the event of an incident, whether on the road(2rouen) or in a truck stop or when I'm delivering to a VERY TIGHTLY PACKED MOPAR/JEEP dealership, a video record will be a good thing to have.

The only time I've hit something backing (knock on wood) was with a dealership employee directing me!!! I was glad it was an old gate post and not a new car!!!

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would think with 18 cameras, one is either protecting something extremely valuable, or has alot of enemies?

Then again, I guess it could be both.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I kinda see your point there Turtle. But you know sometimes I just do not care to put the fight up and invest more time in convincing these goofis's wrong.

Crap happens, and I find myself much more relaxed with this attitude of oh well lesson learned than a whole day of arguing with TA or others like them over an issue like this. (and I just might live longer)

With out going into a long story, two summers ago. Cummins Dealer in Columbus Ohio, had just gotten my oil changed and the CHECK ENGINE light appears. Well guess who? TA did not plug the wire all the way back into the Water Seperator so the light comes on.

Whats Cummins do after I explaine I just got the oil changed can ya maybee think what it could be???? NOoooo we go to the expense of putting it on the Computer to tell us this little common mistake at a charge of over $100.00 There I am madder than a HORNET wanting to choke the idiot manager knowing good and well that it could have been such an easy fix, but they wanted to make sure. Yeah right they just wanted my $. The guy even had the nerve to say your not going anywhere cause we got your keys, I responded oh yeah well here is my spare set you just got one. It got rather heated in that office.

Anyway after that and as P.O. as I LET MYSELF get I have decided to not get myself worked up any more and wreck a completely good day. So arguing with TA over items like this in my thinking is just not worth it, unless you catch them right on the spot and I did not on my cameras. This one they did pay me back for, but what an aggrivation and the idiots at Columbus knew this was a common mistake by oil techs that are not familar with this Filter and Wire.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with your outlook on this Broom. I haven't darkened the door of the Ford dealer in my town since '01. The value of the issue was $140. I was clearly right and some said I should have pushed the issue. I argued the situation with the owner and he apparently felt $140 was more important to him than keeping the goodwill of a customer. What a fool.