Bookkeeping

Axis714

Expert Expediter
I would never try to argue the validity of the old tried and true pencil and paper method. However, If you DO happen to be proficient with a pc and /or operate a small fleet or intend to, orjust plain enjoy all the bells and whistles of professional accounting software.
Peachtree, Peachtree, Peachtree. Its the most thorough (and expensive) accounting application Ive ever experienced.

Not at all the answer to your 1 truck application, nor is it on your list of softwares, but I figure all types and sizes of truck owners will read this post and thought it worth the plug as -The Best.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

That is exactly the same problem I experienced back in February.

Of course, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Maybe you should try calling customer service on the weekend and see if they hang up on you too.

Save your money. Stick with the pencil method or, at they very least, buy from a tried and proven software company; you know, one of the big ones that have the financial resources to fix the bugs.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have a question to all that have posted here.

What is it exactly you are looking for?

Does it actually take a computer program to get the results? For "most" of us we are single owner operators or maybee a handfull of trucks at the most. I can come up with the same answer in probably less time than it takes to get a computer started up.

I can at any given time look at the envelope add the colums and come up with a complete profit/loss to that date. Each truck could be easily done and added together.

Granted one must be disiplined, to stay orginized to keep these reciepts and enter them onto the envelope. But is that not what one would have to do with a program? One problem I have encountered, is any truck repairs, I need two copies, one for my envelope and another for the three ring note book I keep as to when a repair facility asks for a copy or for your (proof of purchase or service performed) I now keep a copy in the note book and it stays in the truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I have a question to all that have posted here.
>
>
>What is it exactly you are looking for?

Notwithstanding my "computers suck" opinion, I am proficient in computers and do use them daily for business, personal, and entertainment purposes.

In business, computers can help you analyze things that pencil and paper analysis can also yield, but not easily so, and thus not likely to be done.

For example, and this is just one of many, we once ran our dispatch information through a number of computer filters. This was information about dispatcher name, run count per dispatcher, type of load, average pay per load per dispatcher, average miles per load per dispatcher, etc. We were surprised to discover that we'd received loads from a far larger number of dispatchers than we would have guessed. We also discovered that one diapatcher in particular had given us more loads than any other and her loads were way below average in loaded miles but above average in pay per mile.

That analyais suggested corrective action, which is to tell the dispatcher that while we're happy to accept the large number of short runs she offers (they paid well), we'd feel a bit taken advantage of if short runs is all she offers. No other dispatcher gave us as many runs as she did. And no other dispatcher gave us shorter runs (on average) than she did. By identifying her as an exception, we learned to be more judicious with offers coming from her.

The funny thing is, that was a year-2005 analysis. Here we are all the way into May 2006 and she has yet to call us with an offer of any kind. We have no complaints about the runs she gave us. If they were bad, we would have turned them down. It's just that we feel we've done more than our short-run share for her and it's time for some longer runs too. That discovery may one day be the difference between a Friday offer for a Monday pickup that pays $900, and a Friday offer for an immediate pickup that delivers cross-country and pays $6,000. If that happens just once, it pays for several laptop computers.

Without the use of a computer and the spreadsheet I use, this dispatch information would have been missed.

Computers can save you time if you set them up correctly. Our banker wants from us a statement of net worth from time to time. Upon request, I can produce one with just a couple of mouse clicks. Using the pencil and paper method would be just as accurate, but much more time consuming. I'd rather watch a football game than use pencil and paper to generate a common report.

You don't need a computer to tell you to shop around for the best rate on a truck loan. But a spreadsheet can be very helpful and financially beneficial by helping you to decide the optimal amount to finance (compared to other uses for your money and credit); It can help you convert the variety of terms different lenders offer (prepayment penalties, length of the loan, skip a payment features, etc.) into a true apples-to-apples analysis. You can even set up different scenerios that may show that while one lender may charge a slightly higher rate, he or she may be the best option.

I mean secnerios like,"If I pay the loan off a year early, which lender is the better choice?" or "If I go with a variable-rate loan and rates jump one point next year and two points the year after that, how will that affect my cash flow?"

Running such scenerios help you make the best decision you can today and help you prepare for a variety of developments down the road.

With computers you can take your personal prosperity planning to another level. "Which is better, paying my truck loan off a year early or paying the loan off on schedule and investing the difference in my IRA account?"

The accelerated truck payment/IRA question requires you to factor into your analysis things like your age, planned date of IRA withdrawls, investment return scenerios (good and bad), and a time-value-of-money analysis. Yes you could do it with pencil and paper and a calculator, but the entire football season would likely be done before you were.

Finding the answers to such questions can very well be the difference between you relying on social security when you retire or driving around the country in an RV. It can be the difference between shopping at Wal-Mart or Dillards when you look for that new favorite sweater. It can be the difference between having an English-speaking health care worker coming to your home to feed you and change your diapers when you are old, or having a Spanish-speaking one doing so in a cut-rate nursing home.

Another example is using the computer to track detailed truck info like tire pressure, tread depth, fuel economy, and other such items. Establishing baseline figures for a truck over the years and then using a computer to detect variances and even plot graphs that make variences easier to view may help you spot developing problems early.

Another example is life on the road items, like finding a Wal-Mart to park in when you don't have an internet signal. I built a nationwide directory of Wal-Mart stores on my computer. It says which ones are SuperCenters and includes phone numbers for all stores. Some stores are not SuperCenters but are open 24 hours. Calling for store hours helps us find the 24 hour stores. When looking for a place to park and sleep (and it seems always spend some money of some sort at Wal-Mart), I can enter a zip code and find the stores in the area. Using a computer, we can find our home for the night in no time at all.

Another example is getting online to go to DieselBoss to plan fuel purchases on long runs. Even within states, where the fuel tax structure is the same, and even among the same truck stop brand, fuel prices can vary by several cents per gallon. Computer-aided fuel shopping can be a significant money saver.

Internet access opens you to a host of other resources that when used on the road can make life much more pleasant and profitable. Examples include:

- Going in for eyeglasses while we are on the road (which is pretty much all the time), and downloading a coupon that saves us $75 on new lenses.

- Searching for city and county parks and libraries to go to while waiting for freight (beats the heck out of sitting in dirty, noisy truck stops)

- Using online mapping resources for the rare times when neither Qualcomm directions nor our computer mapping programs pinpoint the pickup or delivery location.

- Using mapping software to quickly find good detours if we run into stopped traffic, closed roads, etc.

That extends beyond bookeeping, but helps justify the time, effort, and cost one must endure to get good with computers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Being that I have been sort of involved in computers for a while and that was a profession of mine, I have to say Phil and not to beat you up or anything like that but there is no such thing as being an expert with a computer, as you stated you are “proficient in computersâ€. Maybe you meant this in the general sense at a lower level, like a semi-super user, but I don’t think outside of that. As it is a big pet peeve of mine hearing this a lot in the last 10 years and with the ‘limited’ experience I have had in the profession, I can say there are no experts in computers.

But also I am going to add some things, the first is paper and pencil is all right to use. Analyzing things on paper and pencil is also alright, it is up to the individual. Many people like to see numbers and formulas instead of not seeing 1s and 0s. Remember paper and pencils have been used for centuries and with paper and pencil we have had to endure all these inventions and all this commerce from years past. Go figure. (Pun intended!)

The second thing is I am wondering after being told several times and by several people that dispatchers are not to show favoritism at all towards any contractor. The last time I was in green, out of the blue I got a lecture about favoritism and the words termination without notice was used several times. It was a surprise because I didn't say anything to trigger the lecture, but I understand form a few others that it also happened to them.

Maybe I misunderstood you, maybe it is the circumstances that happened to favor you, I don’t know but as I sit here with three other expediters reading what you wrote and their reaction is the same as mine, WTF. This goes against everything we are constantly being told about favoritism (like these lectures)and this sounds bad for all of us who depend on the company to offer loads fairly and equitably based on customers needs, not individual contractor’s needs. But correct us if we are wrong, show us we are wrong. Oh it also sounds like is you are turning down loads because of the dispatcher not because of the load offers. But again we may misunderstand you and your monolog.

Out side of all of this, your points are valid about the use of a computer.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Greg I think you are dissecting that pretty hard if you came up with that response. Give it a rest, or get maybe get some rest.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
> Greg I think you are dissecting that pretty hard if you
>came up with that response. Give it a rest, or get maybe get
>some rest.

Well maybe you're right, but I am not the one who seemed to be offended (or really p***ed off) by this out of the people who also read this, I only want to know if I misunderstood. And the paper thing, Well again, you may be right.

The computer thing is something else on the other hand I stand by what I said 100%, there are no experts.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Phil, not being a Smart A here, but you needed a computer to tell you which Dispatcher gives what kinda load on. Give me a break seriously. You are WAY WAY WAY to critical and after you found out the info did you make your mind up to not do business with this person or just have them removed from their position.

This has got to be one of the easiest decisions with someone of your expierence to calculate. YES I will take that or NO I will not. This is the point you have made for me some of us depend upon this technology way to much that we all forget about common sense.....

Sorry to offend any of you that depend on computers this much to make rational business decisions.

I am surviving from a pen and pencil and in my opinion I am doing pretty darn well, especially with some of the posts about people with no loads.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't see a value in knowing what person dispatched a load. It either is profitable to run, or it isn't. The short runs are harder for a company to cover so it is likely a more seasoned dispatcher is working on the short runs.
I quess the only other issue is if you are going to fire a dispatcher and or refuse any of their loads?
I am with the others, I wouldn't want to complicate the simple.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A computer is a valuable and useful tool if you are comfortable with them and choose to use them. A pencil and paper will do any calculation the computer will. A shoebox full of index cards will store and retrieve any data a computer will. The difference is how quickly you can complete a series of interrelated calculations dependent on sequential summations of always differing variables or how quickly you can sort the shoebox of index cards to identify a regressive trend while filtering one or more variables from the statistical model.

If I know dispatcher A gives me runs that are 1.21x the length of my average run and dispatcher B gives me runs that are .83x the length of my average run I'm going to be more interested in a load from dispatcher A than B. If on top of that I know that 87% of the time dispatcher A gives me loads that terminate in an area rated 5 (on a 1 to 5 scale) for followup loads while dispatcher B does so only 68% of the time I'm going to be even more inclined to closely monitor offers from B.

I can get all that from paper and pen plus a shoebox full of paper scraps but I can get it quicker and easier from a computer. I'm not suggesting anyone use or don't use a computer, only that they have their place and nobody should criticize or belittle anyone else for having as much information as possible that can potentially benefit their business.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A shoebox
>full of index cards will store and retrieve any data a
>computer will. The difference is how quickly you can
>complete a series of interrelated calculations dependent on
>sequential summations of always differing variables or how
>quickly you can sort the shoebox of index cards to identify
>a regressive trend while filtering one or more variables
>from the statistical model.

Leo, I love it when you talk like that!

Regarding dispatch favoritism, not at all. The dispatcher that was giving us short runs was not helping us, she was hurting us. She had identified us as an easy yes on short runs, we believe. Had she played by the rules, we would have received a mix of short and long runs from her, as we receive from all others. She has not been fired. She is still working as a dispatcher. We've not raised the issue with FedEx. It's not that big of a deal. It does not upset us.

It is simply in our own best interests to get us off her short run yes list. Of course, it is possible that we are blind to other facts that may explain the difference in her numbers compared to all other dispatchers. We're waiting for her to call us some day with another run offer and we'll discuss things with her at that time.

Notwithstanding the above, she is a very good dispatcher. We have no desire to put her in a spot with her higher-ups over something as easy to resolve as this, and something that may be nothing more than our own lack of information as to why her numbers vary so much from others'.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I agree with Dave and the others that are not concerned with the name of any dispatcher or who has a short/long run average. You are either the next truck in the queue that meets the requirements of a given run or you are not. Call me naive, but I don't believe a dispatcher at FedEx Custom Critical reaches down the list to get an easy dispatch or help a friend. Any changes from company policy requires justification to a supervisor. Can it be done? Sure, because humans are involved. Is it done? I'd bet my van that it is done so infrequently as to be unnoticeable to a driver or a supervisor.

I have too much experience with the inner workings of the operations department at FedEx Custom Critical to believe that ATeam's comments regarding dispatch favoritism has any basis of fact. Given the random nature of expedited freight dispatch, it's easy to develop the illusion that favoritism, or the lack thereof, is in play with this carrier. I will continue to believe that there are enough safeguards in play to generally rule out dispatch favoritism at Fedex Custom Critical.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Funny how these threads wander away from the original thread, isn't it?
I have zero experience with dispatch at FedEx, but common sense says that even when dispatchers actually have time to pick & choose among available vehicles, doing so would not be allowed. It could form the basis of litigation for a disgruntled driver, so FedEx wouldn't permit it. Sometimes, a coincidence is just a coincidence - that's why there's a word for it.
:eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>>A shoebox full of index cards will store and retrieve any data a
>>computer will. The difference is how quickly you can
>>complete a series of interrelated calculations dependent on
>>sequential summations of always differing variables or how
>>quickly you can sort the shoebox of index cards to identify
>>a regressive trend while filtering one or more variables
>>from the statistical model.
>
>Leo, I love it when you talk like that!

Just pointing out that computers have their place. Data modeling can provide information that is otherwise unavailable or unrecognizable. The point of the latter portion of the thread wasn't favoritism by a dispatcher it was the ?coincidental? trend in load offers from one particular dispatcher. I do not know FX systems well enough to know if this sort of thing happens often or rarely or somewhere in between. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if one dispatcher ranked a 5 on whatever scale(s) I measure with and another ranked a 3.5 I'm going to hope for calls from the former and look carefully at loads from the latter.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Having been with Roberts and FEDEXCC for almost 20 years I agree 100% with Terry,Favortism on the part of Dispatchers is extremly hard for them to hide. All conversations are recorded, which about a year ago caused a very unpopular dispatcher to take a early retirement..

Dispatchers generally work regions or certain National Accounts. A particular account may generate a high amount of short trips which that dispatcher assigned to that account must cover.

The penalties for favortism include ,suspensions without pay,pay grade increases delayed and possible termination. If they pass over a truck for a trip that, the truck passed over for is legal and qualifed they may be called to give and verify an explanation as too why that truck was not offered the trip.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
But the computer points to just the opposite of Terry's theory. Do I trust a computer more than 10 or 20 years expierence?

Leo I will say it here you are wrong my friend. I personaly never challenge expierence thus is why I disagreed with the comments in my two above posts. I am living proof you do not need to keep this strong of records, it can in many situations come back to bite one in the but...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is where we can agree to disagree. I clearly said a paper and pencil method is capable of keeping the same records, just not sorting them and accessing them as quickly as a computer. There is no right or wrong, just two different systems for doing the same record keeping job that determine how quickly the job will be completed. A properly functioning Cessna 150 gets you from Houston to Atlanta just the same as a properly functioning Cessna Citation jet. One is just much quicker at completing it's task.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know how my comments got turned into suggestions of dispatch favoritism. Let me try to say it again.

It is in no way favoritism for a dispatcher to give us only short runs and no long runs, when all other dispatchers that gave us more than a few runs gave a healthy mix of short and long runs.

Diane and I have never had reason to believe that any dispatcher favored us over other drivers. And we've never had reason to believe that any FedEx driver has ever been favored over us. One of the reasons we chose FedEx as our carrier was because it's professional, corporate approach to things like dispatch operations helped us believe we'd be fairly treated.

While Terry's point about the random nature of expediting is valid, this dispatcher's run numbers stood out from all other dispatcher runs exactly because they do not appear to be random. This dispatcher's numbers form a clear pattern that no other dispatcher has. The random nature of the numbers of all other dispatchers prove Terry's point exactly.

There is nothing improper about one dispatcher giving us more runs than all others. By definition, some dispatcher will always be number one in any truck's run-per-dispatcher count (or two or three dispatchers in the event of a tie).

I do not have the experience and time in with FedEx that Terry and RichM have, but I do have my dispatch numbers. The numbers are what they are. In this case, the numbers form a clear pattern that raises certain questions in our minds.

I'm open to the possibility that there is a perfectly reasonable explaination as to why this particular dispatcher gave us only short runs and also gave us significantly more runs than all other dispatchers.

As stated above, we're not upset by it. We accepted the loads. The loads were profitable, though they were also short. We're waiting for her to call us some day with a load offer. At that time, we'll discuss things with her, and her alone, without involving her higher-ups.